Odds Disney remakes Ep 1-3???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think rather than wipe the slate clean and start over Disney will continue to release merchandise related to the PT, but also focus more on the OT and new trilogy and just keep the PT at enough of a distance to not be embarassed by them, but still make money.

Yep, I think more and more as the years go by people will just look back at the PT as an amusing novelty that isn't worth getting worked about and will just be a reflection of where the George Lucas and the film industry (with it's conversion to digital backgrounds and film itself) were at the time. Obviously they won't be *good* reflections of the time (as opposed to say the LOTR trilogy) but they are what they are.

The Holiday Special was this big abomination for so many years but every once in a while you'll see a bone thrown to it like "Animated Debut Boba Fett" figures, the cartoon making an appearance on the blu-rays, and so on. So as you said, acknowledge that it "happened" every so often with various blu-ray and merchandise releases but don't focus too much on it.

And like or hate the PT it really has made a stamp on culture, or at least SW culture. Darth Maul alone is an icon, no way would Disney undo him or replace Ray Park with another live-action version of the character in a remake.

If they are going to do anything, the least I would like to see is an overhaul of the effects - which now look quite dated and cartoony. I remember the last time I watched TPM everything just seemed to have this weird purple tint to it. I know it means 'Special Editions' of the prequel trilogy but in this case I don't think I would mind.

And like or hate the PT it really has made a stamp on culture, or at least SW culture. Darth Maul alone is an icon, no way would Disney undo him or replace Ray Park with another live-action version of the character in a remake.

Very true.

You can't polish a turd.

-- ancient Chinese proverb

According to Mythbusters you can...

polished.jpg

If they are going to do anything, the least I would like to see is an overhaul of the effects - which now look quite dated and cartoony. I remember the last time I watched TPM everything just seemed to have this weird purple tint to it. I know it means 'Special Editions' of the prequel trilogy but in this case I don't think I would mind.

They looked cartoony back in 1999. Unless they digitally erase Jar Jar, the Gungans, and the Battle Droids they aren't going to look any better.

Why in the world would they spend time, energy, and most importantly, money trying to improve dumb concepts and characters instead of trying to move forward with something that might actually be good and worthwhile?

Depending on how far (if at all) Disney goes with "James Bonding" the SW characters they could even use the spin-off movies to make at least some of the events of the PT a little more respectable. We know that "Rogue One" will be about that "first victory against the Empire" and the stealing of the DS plans and so on. Basically making an entire movie about an off-screen footnote from the OT.

Well they could make an entire action thriller about the horrifying night Anakin and the clones sacked the Jedi Temple. Have some non-Jedi hero in the temple for whatever reason and he or she tries to help a group of padawans escape, only to fail (and maybe be the sole survivor.) Heck they might not even have to James Bond Anakin, they could just have him always cloaked under his hood during the carnage. Get some badass practical clone suits like we're seeing with the Troopers in The Force Awakens and suddenly we'll have this fleshed out and "cool" version of Anakin wiping out the Jedi instead of one scene of him frightening a bunch of children.

If I were in charge, I would try my damndest to never refer to or mention the massacre of the "younglings" ever again. What a terrible, terrible thing on so many levels.

They would never remake any of the previous movies. Now what would be cool would be animated full length versions of OT and prequel movies! :)

If they remade them they need to do like Topher did make all three into one movie. Each of them have moments where they were worth watching but to much crap sandwiched around them parts.

The three SW Prequels are much like the three Hobbit films -- one OK movie stretched into three really drawn-out movies.

Both trilogies would have better much better as a single film experience.

Master of the Obvious has spoken.

Last edited:
Yep, I think more and more as the years go by people will just look back at the PT as an amusing novelty that isn't worth getting worked about and will just be a reflection of where the George Lucas and the film industry (with it's conversion to digital backgrounds and film itself) were at the time. Obviously they won't be *good* reflections of the time (as opposed to say the LOTR trilogy) but they are what they are.

The Holiday Special was this big abomination for so many years but every once in a while you'll see a bone thrown to it like "Animated Debut Boba Fett" figures, the cartoon making an appearance on the blu-rays, and so on. So as you said, acknowledge that it "happened" every so often with various blu-ray and merchandise releases but don't focus too much on it.

Or kill him at the end of the first movie..... dumb.

The OP is coming ignoring the fact that there is a 100% chance the nerds who think the original films are the greatest thing since sliced bread will be bashing the new movie when it comes out. They will be bashing Disney and swearing to never ever support anything related to Star Wars they make. There will never be any calls for any remakes.

The OP is coming ignoring the fact that there is a 100% chance the nerds who think the original films are the greatest thing since sliced bread will be bashing the new movie when it comes out. They will be bashing Disney and swearing to never ever support anything related to Star Wars they make. There will never be any calls for any remakes.

You sir, get a big cookie.

cookie-1.gif

1:1,000,000,000

However I would not be surprised to see an improved special edition series down the road. I know there are recuts floating around out there that supposedly condense the trilogy into one movie and is apparently quite a bit better. So Disney could hire a genius director with a budget of say $10M/movie to recut, recraft, and where possible, add reshoots to make the story cooler and also possibly even link to the new Trilogy. Midichlorians would be the absolute first thing to edit out. But this is also one of those cases where space battles (all digital) and digital characters (JarJar) can actually be an advantage because they can be seamlessly redone like the first PT Yoda model vs the replacement Yoda. Not to say they could redesign Jar Jar, or maybe they could, but they could at least redub his lines and completely change up the performance. Or even create a completely different character model. They could redub some of the wooden dialogue from Anakin, Padme and Obi-Wan pretty easily as well, and just edit around, or edit out some of the absolute nonsensical junk like Anakin riding the pig on Naboo. The thing is Disney must realize there is still some value in the PT. Gambling $10M to see if they can make the first (and worst) one good might be worth the risk. Now that the properties are out of Lucas's hands, Disney could hire a hot shot director and do with them what they wish. While it is a radical idea, if they were to release an apped up TPM that looked cool and got great reviews it would get butts in seats, probably to the tune of $100M or so if it was good. That would then open the doors to the other two.

Last edited:
Remakes of the Prequel Trilogy won't happen. I think instead we may get some films set in that era to kind of redeem aspects of the prequels. Show what happened with Vader, Palpatine, Obi-Wan, Yoda, etc. during the time between the Prequel Trilogy and Original Trilogy. I think some interesting things could still be mined from the prequels even though I really don't like them.

Back