Statue Obi-Wan Kenobi Mythos Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really see a likeness of Alec Guiness. It looks like an amalgamation of Alec Guiness and Ewan McGregor, mostly Ewan McGregor, like 80% McGregor. This is actually a very nice piece. It has a lot of imagination and is well done. It will be regarded as one of the best SW statues IMO.

Are you looking at the second headsculpt? I think it's totally Guinness.

Are you looking at the second headsculpt? I think it's totally Guinness.
Crap. I stand corrected. It's not a perfect likeness, but there is no McGregor in it. I think they should have done one that WAS an amalgamation of the two, though.
An amalgamation would have been real artistic interpretation.

Then again when Mythos was announced he was pretty much the first one previewed no? So it could be right.

That's totally possible.

If November is December and all those HT Avengers hit at the same month, I'd be in trouble....

My December:

Loki
Black Widow
Bossk
final payment on Joker 2.0

You're gonna be busy. :lol

:lecture Listen to this man he knows what he is talking about. I mean the force is strong with this one. :lol

:lol:lol

I have a sort of generic question.....

How can they make the likeness of Alec Guiness in a costume and look for something that was never part of the film?

I can understand doing Ewan as it was probably more likely that he signed an all encompassing agreement with LFL... but there's no way they ever anticipated EU stuff back before Alec passed, was there?

Because it all falls under the SW license I'm sure.

Crap. I stand corrected. It's not a perfect likeness, but there is no McGregor in it. I think they should have done one that WAS an amalgamation of the two, though.
An amalgamation would have been real artistic interpretation.

I think that's what they were trying to do.

Comparison.jpg
]

Art. A good artist uses his imagination and creates. That's one reason why this piece is so great.

I don't really see a likeness of Alec Guiness. It looks like an amalgamation of Alec Guiness and Ewan McGregor, mostly Ewan McGregor, like 80% McGregor. This is actually a very nice piece. It has a lot of imagination and is well done. It will be regarded as one of the best SW statues IMO.

That doesn't answer the question at all.

I'm not disputing the quality or artistry.

I'm asking, how legally, can SSC and LFL do this? I'm not convinced that Alec Guiness or any other OT actor signed something that said they can produce merchandise with their likeness that wasn't even in the film.

Otherwise what's the line? I know this is absurd idea, but what would prevent SSC from making an Air Force 1 version of Harrison Ford and calling him Han Solo? :lol

Or how about Billy Dee Williams in a Colt .45 commercial and calling him Lando?

I think the actor's license is supposed to be tied to his appearance in the film, including costume.

But I'm far from an expert. I bet IrishJedi knows the ins and outs of this stuff.

Last edited:
I'm confused by the conversation over whether it is Ewan and Alec.

It says it is both of them in the description on the Sideshow website (two different heads....no almagamation...).

As regards legal I'm just going to assume Sideshow have figured out by now what they can and can't do ;)

I'm asking, how legally, can SSC and LFL do this? I'm not convinced that Alec Guiness or any other OT actor signed something that said they can produce merchandise with their likeness that wasn't even in the film.

Otherwise what's the line? I know this is absurd idea, but what would prevent SSC from making an Air Force 1 version of Harrison Ford and calling him Han Solo? :lol

I think the actor's license is supposed to be tied to his appearance in the film, including costume.

But I'm far from an expert. I bet IrishJedi knows the ins and outs of this stuff.

I doubt the license is so specific.

I'd imagine they have rights to use the likeness for all merchandise pertaining to the character he played. Either given in life by Alec or by proxy from his heirs.

Last edited:

You're over thinking this big time. His likeness falls under the star ware license and therefore they're able to do it. That's why they'd be able to do a han solo piece because he's signed off on his likeness being used for the character.

I think something like that would be "Pending Licensor Approval" for a very, very long time.

I'm a bit surprised that this rings in $100 more than Maul. I was thinking that this line would be in between a Sixth Scale figure and PF in terms of pricing, but doesn't look like that's the case.

Makes me concerned about the Boba Fett and Vader, since I was going to try and pick up both....but I may just have to wait and see where those ones come in when they go up.

I've been excited about this piece for a long long time but I have to say I'm not excited about the price.
I expected it to be much closer to $250-$275, in line with the new Lord of the Rings statue line prices, and yes Maul too. I personally can't justify pre-ordering. When it ships if the production apps are good, the likenesses there and its still available maybe I'll use my rewards points. Between this and the DC PF prices I think I'm getting priced out of this hobby.

I have a sort of generic question.....

How can they make the likeness of Alec Guiness in a costume and look for something that was never part of the film?

I can understand doing Ewan as it was probably more likely that he signed an all encompassing agreement with LFL... but there's no way they ever anticipated EU stuff back before Alec passed, was there?

It's part of the LFL license, that's part of what SSC is buying when they get the license for Star Wars. I'm sure Lucas has the likeness rights all locked up so he could even digitize them and make all new movies if he wanted.

And anyone not seeing Alec Guiness in the alternate portrait - check out Bridge on the River Kwai - that's him at about the right age.

Looks like the Tusken-Americans have been moved to November, so they'll come out at the same time (in theory) as this statue. They could look really cool together....

It's part of the LFL license, that's part of what SSC is buying when they get the license for Star Wars. I'm sure Lucas has the likeness rights all locked up so he could even digitize them and make all new movies if he wanted.

And anyone not seeing Alec Guiness in the alternate portrait - check out Bridge on the River Kwai - that's him at about the right age.

:goodpost::exactly:

My wife is not a Star Wars fan. She did see the PT with me in the theatres, but had never seen anything Star Wars related previously and she doesn't pay attention to my figures. I was looking through the pics of this figure earlier and my wife was setting beside me on the couch glanced over and noticed that one looked like "the old man Kenobi". Boggles me how a casual uninterested person can see it, but supposed "fans" can't. :cuckoo:

The likeness is great IMO. I don't know how you can't see it. So, is there a regular version of this? Not sure if it's already been discussed. Also, is this thing only being sold through SSC and not through any 3rd party retailers? Apologies if these questions have been answered a million times before and I'm just late to the party.

Back