Nolan (Vaguely) Answers if He'll Direct Third Batman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 must be done. I dont think i'll like the ending to TDK anymore if there is no three.

:confused:

The ending of numero dos was briliant.

And, I have to disagree. I don't think 3 "must" be done, by any stretch of the word. If it is made, it's foundation will be more on $$$ than story.

Christian Bale sums it up.

Knowing the DARK KNIGHT story, I would like very much to complete a trilogy.

I think that knowing the story of THE DARK KNIGHT, it leaves you anticipating something that really can get very, very interesting for a third.

Now, the question would be: Is Chris going to be doing it? Because to me I find it tricky to imagine working on it without it being a collaboration with Chris.
Quotes on a third.

EXACTLY. Can any Batman film ever really compete with TDK? Personally, I don't think so. It certainly won't be bettered anywhoo, but that's just stating the obvious.

One of the biggest problems with Super Hero movies is that once a hero fights his main adversary they try to just overwhelm the audience to make-up for it in the sequels. Spider Man 3 would've been better if they would have spread the baddies out over several films. They could've had the movie end with the alien taking over Brock & set-up Venom for the fourth film. After '89 Batman fought Joker, the following movies were filled with bad guys & over-the-topness to make up for the fact that Batman had already "beaten" his arch enemy.

I still think that an updated Catwoman could work. Nothing silly, just have her as a thief. Bruce is without a love interest now, so if they did it right, it could work. If they do Riddler, I'm hoping they make him something more similar to The Zodiac or think John Doe in Se7en....the direct opposite of Jim Carrey's Riddler for sure. It could work.

I hope they skip even trying The Penguin.

A part III is inevitable imo, we need to remember who the deciding factors are here.................production companies. TDK made a billion dollars and we are still wondering if a 3rd will be made?

Not only a 3rd will be made but probably a 4th too ................until something as bad as Batman and Robin turns up. Then they'll stop.

Did James Cameron have any say with T3?

JM2C.

I don't think a third is in question, but will it be a Nolan is, and given how well he's done with 1 and 2, there's a lot to be desired in him helming a third. I might have reservations, even if it it's same cast, about what kind of movie a third would be with different creative team behind it.

Nolan's response sounds identical to his post Begins interviews. I'm glad he's about backing the project if the story is right, as a viewer it builds a lot of confidence if he does go on board because it means he's fully into it and his last 3 movies have all wowed me.

He'll be back. If Warner smarts enough...they will wait til he's ready. Nolan has pretty good stuff in his resume

:confused:

The ending of numero dos was briliant.

And, I have to disagree. I don't think 3 "must" be done, by any stretch of the word. If it is made, it's foundation will be more on $$$ than story.

It was amazing....but it doesnt feel "complete" to me.

Batman Begins

Batman is hated

and three is

Batman the hero.

That to me, is how it should all come together. I need to know what happens in this world with THESE characters.

TDK's ending was great for it's self-contained story, but for the Wayne-Batman story arc, it was another stepping stone, there's more to be told, TDK leaves much open for him to be answered and resolved in a third story.

Eh, I cant see that movie as self contained at all. Love the ending...but I need more. One more film is all I need. Just one more.

I hope and pray that he makes it. I'm going to be iffy about going to see it if he doesn't direct it. He created this whole new imaginative world of Batman and without his touch it's going to be remade in the new directors mind and I personally don't want that.

If they're going to do a 3rd then they should do it right and let the series go out with a bang by having him direct it.

Christopher Nolan Outlining Third Batman Installment

Nolan talks about the third installment of the Batman films, in the note jotting and outline phase at this point. IESB had a chance to talk to Nolan during the DVD release for The Dark Knight and he got into his process and the difficulties of making the next one.

"Doing some rough outlines for a third story, but he hasn't yet found anything he's willing to commit to film."

"I don't know why they're hard to do," Nolan says. "Maybe there's so much expectation to them. But I wouldn't want to do one if it weren't going to be as good as the first or second. That's not respectful to the fans."

"It was obvious when the box office was so big ($530 million domestically) that we had underestimated how ready fans were to reboot the franchise. The worst thing you could do now that you've gotten the plane back in the air is mess up the landing."

I LOVE Nolan's committment to these films. I'm 100% behind any of these movies he makes, if he committs to it, I know it'll be solid like Begins and TDK.

Let's face it, Nolan is not someone who will take a job just for the money. He needs to see a worthy storyline he can create...this franchise will not go on without him or Bale (contracts aside, Bale also said he will do the thrid as long as Nolan is on board). This cannot become Spiderman 3. We need a sufficient conclusion to the series. IMO there should be no 4th, it should end with the 3rd if they do make it.

I imagine the path will be, Nolan concludes his tale with a 3rd chapter, then WB will still want to cash in on the Batmania Nolan's reinvigorated and some other filmmaker will start a new tale about Batman.

I predict Godfather 3-esque scenario if Nolan does third film, regardless of the 16 year gap between them GII and GIII. Great 1st movie, superb 2nd installment, so-so and controversial third film.

I also don't see where Nolan can go as far as a "necessary" and intriguing progression. Not to mention the performance by Ledger will go unsurpassed, at least in the Nolan movie realm.

Perhaps ROTJ would be a more fair analogy for a third film. Not as good as 2 but good enough while also bringing a sense of closure.

Bring back...

Joel Schumacher

and of course...

George Clooney

I like my Batman camper than a boy scout Jamboree!

...not

Is Batman 3 a Go?
Source: Awful Truth
Thu Dec 11, 2008, 12:25 pm EST

The next Batman installment is alive and kicking—definitely. We already mentioned today certain Warners sources are leaking to us that Rachel Weisz is being considered for the Catwoman role, too fab. But Warners officially isn't saying bubkes. But other insiders working on the next installment, to follow up where The Dark Knight left off, say it's all so a go:

Despite some recent interviews in which he down-played the possibility of returning as director again, Christopher Nolan (who helmed Knight) will for sure be back directing the third flick, we're assured by a production mole. Christian Bale will obviously rejoin his director pal, and we're very pleased to report that he'll be playing a "sexier" Bruce Wayne. This is heaven-sent news, as, let's face it, Bale couldn't have looked any more constipated in that last flick.

Never mind. And as for Catwoman casting, look, when we chatted with Aaron Eckhart not long ago, he blabbed that he would love to see Angelina Jolie play the role. Well, sorry babes, as we spilled earlier today, Weisz is the one more likely, at this point, to be signed on to play the sexy puss. After all, Angie has her claws out enough in real life, right?

By the by, even though Warners did not comment on any of the above movie talk, additional studio sources did confirm it's certainly "expected" Bale and Nolan will be back, pending a script which is being written as we gossip. However, let's not forget the most important Batman buzz of all, right?

Who dare fill Heath's shoes? A Batman movie is only as good as the villain, right? Don't believe me? Just watch the Oscars next February, and let's discuss after Heath nabs one of those babies posthumously.

So. Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin? Johnny Depp as anyone? Robert Pattinson as The Joker?

Spencer Pratt as himself? Jeez, the sky's the friggin' limit these days. Me? I vote for Pattinson. I just don't buy that dude as a nonhuman blood-sucking vampire anyway, you?

—Additional reporting by Taryn Ryder

Back