Nintendo Wii-U

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The controller always felt a little strange to me. I'm sure if I used it more, I'd get the feel for it, but it's my least favorite of the new consoles. Well made and interesting, but ergonomically not a fav.

If they had wanted to launch it earlier they wouldn't have been able to with the gamepad because it makes the console too expensive.
In any case, I've read in reviews for several games how people don't enjoy using the gamepad as a controller, like for Mario Kart to Mario 3D. Considering how few games even use its features outside of off-TV play it doesn't really matter. Just like how there wasn't really much to use the Kinect on the Xbox One.
And the first-party Nintendo games are actually neglecting it the most.

I don't get that..if you play a ps4 or xbox, I get it, the controller will feel foreign..but once u play for a decent amount of time u get used to it. The gamepad isn't heavy or anything so its not like weight is an issue, if anything its a tad longer and wider than last years controller..but the wider part is irrelevant because it won't affect your hand layout..idk..dont make sense..you can literally look down and have a damn screen on your controller. As zuckuss stated its AWESOME to use for retro/VC games..its terrific..and if you don't like it or don't think it adds anythingg to some more recent titles…than who cares?? lol just don't look down, problem solved no?

It's probably $100 of the cost which if it's not being used then it's a waste--like the Kinect.
I'm sure the problem that people have with it is most likely how it feels, like how the PS3 controller is pretty terrible compared to Xbox/PS4

so anybody pick up Mario Kart 8? I have to wait until i get out of work to pick mine up. just wondering what people think about it

so anybody pick up Mario Kart 8? I have to wait until i get out of work to pick mine up. just wondering what people think about it

I bought it thru the eshop…I get the free game of choice, plus 10% back (so like 5 bucks) that I can spend on a VC game..so by buying it digitally I'll basically be getting 3 games for 1.

I pre-ordered through best buy and got a 10$ Gas card, and that's what won me over instead of a wheel or keychain. That being said the game is absolutely fantastic. here's a sample of what the highlight video looks like when you choose the "Upolad to youtube" option
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPFDIaA3eD8

I bought Mario Kart 8 at Best Buy because they had the promotion for the $10 "gas card". I redeemed the promotion and they give you a $10 prepaid MasterCard. So I just used the MasterCard to purchase $10 in Steam credit. That's a heck of a deal! :)

Mario Kart 8 is awesome! Haven't played online or battle but it's really amazing. You get a "highlight reel" after every race and can slow it down or speed it up. It's really a gorgeous, pretty game and really shows that if Nintendo put some more power behind their system, they can really make some amazing looking games.

My only gripe is you cannot "stack" items like in older Mario Karts. Like you would be able to hold a banana behind your kart and then go through the question mark boxes again and get another item. I suppose this was for balance issues since Nintendo was verbal about wanting to make the game "fair" (aka: Blue shell controversy). I wish they would leave a choice in the options menu for "classic item stack" for us that remember it.

Also, some of the classic kart tracks are tweaked race-wise...for example, I remember when the N64 Rainbow Road was 3 laps. Now it's just one huge lap with "lap markers" along the way so by the time you're back at the start, the race is down. Kind of disappointing.

Yeah, coming from a guy that loved Double Dash but hated Mario Kart Wii the MK8 rocks! Been playing with my freinds all weekend, online works great too! They made a great game, and the free game code (they need to sell this) its crazy, I already had true games so I gave my code to a friend. If you have a wii U MK8 is a must have.

I hope that Nintendo actually offers some DLC tracks for this game. That'd be cool to get a whole new circuit, or maybe a few new characters.

Back