Nintendo Wii-U

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hardcore crowd are fickle. They tried to appeal to that audience with the Gamecube and it landed them in third place. The Wii was a necessity.

Honestly, I don't know what to think about Wii-U, but if it means they're trying to get the hardcore games back, it's at least 1 (just one so far) in the right direction.

The Gamecube was for hardcore gamers? Since when?

How was it not? It had comparable power to ps2 and xbox, shared most of multiplatform games, and had a number of mature exclusives as well as a large amount of first party titles.

It was certainly a machine directed at the core gamer. It's failure of being adopted by that crowd is an entirely separate matter.

I didn't get into Gamecube until they locked down the RE exclusivity. This console will probably be the same. I'll get it way down the line when they get some form of mature exclusives and the system has been a few years into its cycle. Of course by that time the new systems from Microsoft and Sony will be on the horizon.

Release date between April 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012; or after the end of Nintendo's fiscal year

Could the release date be any more vague? :lol

zelda_hd_detail.jpg

So what the heck is this screenshot? Is this Skyward Sword using backwards compatibility? Is this Skyward Sword for the Wii-U? Is this a whole new game?

So what the heck is this screenshot? Is this Skyward Sword using backwards compatibility? Is this Skyward Sword for the Wii-U? Is this a whole new game?

Just a tech demo. It's a scene from Twilight Princess recreated for the Wii-U demo only.

How was it not? It had comparable power to ps2 and xbox, shared most of multiplatform games, and had a number of mature exclusives as well as a large amount of first party titles.

It was certainly a machine directed at the core gamer. It's failure of being adopted by that crowd is an entirely separate matter.

It didn't have as much power as the Xbox or PS2. Also, Xbox and PS2 both had the ability to play DVD's. It was as if they would have released the Wii without motion controls. It had nothing special at all to attract core gamers.

Considering the term "casual gamer" didn't exist prior to the Wii and DS, who was it for then? :dunno

Exactly why it did so bad

But doesn't that just add to the confusion?

Yup.

Remember when the Gamecube was announced and they showed off an awesome demo of Link fighting Ganondorf?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtAvX4Pkyk"]YouTube - ‪The Legend of Zelda Spaceworld 2000 GameCube demo‬‏[/ame]

It got everyone all :panic: but that "game" never came. Instead we got this:
tumblrl7f3teu1ql1qd9fim.jpg

:slap :rotfl People were PISSED! Wind Waker turned out to be a fantastic game, rivaled only by OOT imo, but it was perceived as a joke because of the tech demo Nintendo showed at E3.

You'd think they'd have learned their lesson...

Everyone does that. Remember when Microsoft unvieled Kinect? How many of those features were pure and utter BS?

Considering the term "casual gamer" didn't exist prior to the Wii and DS, who was it for then? :dunno

Hardcore gamer, casual gamer... what happened to just being a gamer? Seriously, I hate all of these marketing terms.

This is intriguing. I'm quite happy with my PS3, but getting to play quality versions of the hottest 3rd party titles as well as the nintendo games of my childhood seems like a win to me.

Motion controls on ALIENS: Colonial Marines would probably be really fun. I always thought the most recent AVP game would have been fun to play in motion controls.

:rotfl I want to see battlefield 3 on the wii-u!

It didn't have as much power as the Xbox or PS2. Also, Xbox and PS2 both had the ability to play DVD's. It was as if they would have released the Wii without motion controls. It had nothing special at all to attract core gamers.

Of course it's specs were comparable to Xbox and PS2. In fact, it was more powerful than the PS2. I welcome you to refute it. Just look at the Gamecube version of RE4 and compare it with the PS2 version. Google the tech specs of both machines.

DVD playback does not make a hardcore gaming machine and is nowhere on the level of contemplating a Wii without motion controls (which is the whole point of that machine). If anything, DVD movie playback capability is there to draw in casual buyers since it has inherently nothing to do with playing games itself.

It was a core gamer's machine through and through. It's failure was an entirely different matter, as I said in the previous post. Gamer's were left sour by the N64, which was considered a barren wasteland when it came to game releases. On top of that, Nintendo in the 90's had inadvertantly built it's reputation as the 'kiddy' gaming company, and as gamer's and their tastes grew older, most of them stuck by Sony, who had build a juggernaut out of the Playstation that kept up momentum into the PS2. Xbox, on the other hand, had Halo, and that's all it took.

Nintendo was left in third place because of all that, plus some of their core legacy titles (though great games) were too different from what old school gamers knew. Metroid had turned into an FPS, Mario Sunshine had weird, un-Mario-like mechanics and Zelda: Wind Waker looked like a cartoon.

God, that was too nerdy of me. I promised myself I'd never do that kinda rant anymore. But I loved that generation.

Yup.

Remember when the Gamecube was announced and they showed off an awesome demo of Link fighting Ganondorf?

YouTube - ‪The Legend of Zelda Spaceworld 2000 GameCube demo‬‏

It got everyone all :panic: but that "game" never came. Instead we got this:

:slap :rotfl People were PISSED! Wind Waker turned out to be a fantastic game, rivaled only by OOT imo, but it was perceived as a joke because of the tech demo Nintendo showed at E3.

You'd think they'd have learned their lesson...

Arguably, the game that was promised with that old tech demo from 2000 did eventually arrive. Twilight Princess looked almost as good as that tech demo.

It's a little different this time. The Zelda demo for Wii U is interactive and looks to be rendered in real time.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arHNcSMXaBk] youtube[/ame]

Of course it's specs were comparable to Xbox and PS2. In fact, it was more powerful than the PS2. I welcome you to refute it. Just look at the Gamecube version of RE4 and compare it with the PS2 version. Google the tech specs of both machines.

DVD playback does not make a hardcore gaming machine and is nowhere on the level of contemplating a Wii without motion controls (which is the whole point of that machine). If anything, DVD movie playback capability is there to draw in casual buyers since it has inherently nothing to do with playing games itself.

It was a core gamer's machine through and through. It's failure was an entirely different matter, as I said in the previous post. Gamer's were left sour by the N64, which was considered a barren wasteland when it came to game releases. On top of that, Nintendo in the 90's had inadvertantly built it's reputation as the 'kiddy' gaming company, and as gamer's and their tastes grew older, most of them stuck by Sony, who had build a juggernaut out of the Playstation that kept up momentum into the PS2. Xbox, on the other hand, had Halo, and that's all it took.

Nintendo was left in third place because of all that, plus some of their core legacy titles (though great games) were too different from what old school gamers knew. Metroid had turned into an FPS, Mario Sunshine had weird, un-Mario-like mechanics and Zelda: Wind Waker looked like a cartoon.

God, that was too nerdy of me. I promised myself I'd never do that kinda rant anymore. But I loved that generation.

Just because a game looks better on one console doesn't mean it is more powerful. Look at all the games that look better on Xbox 360 than PS3 even though PS3 definitely has more power.

Back