New Tomb Raider game

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luddington didn't bother me actually, except for her constant screaming and whining throughout the entire game but I blame the writers for that, lol.

What bothered me was everyone else, they sound bored or you can tell they were reading.

Both Uncharted and Tomb Raider are good. What's the problem ?
Do we have to trash one to show we like the other more?
Do we have to adore trash since it's 80% of all games? :dunno

I just took a break from this game after reaching the part where Lara got the bow rope. Great game so far, my only complaint is that there's nothing in the game or story that we've haven't seen before, but that doesn't take away from it being a great game though. Hope the game gets better from here!
The beginning is fine cuz there's nothing to it :lol

As for the acting, it's okay but nothing spectacular. I really prefer Keeley Hawes (Lara from Legend, Anniversary, Underworld) over Camilla Luddington. Not that Luddington is bad by actress any means, it's just that the old Lara had a much better voice.

That makes sense, but we must also take into account what character they're playing. Hawes played a fully confident, hard Lara. Luddington is playing a very vulnerable, scared (at first) one. You'll see as you play, how she transforms, and it is well conveyed by her voice.

One fight in particular, drives that point through.

This isn't the old Tomb Raider game made by the same team years ago. This is a new version and not a bad one at all. This isn't a sequel to the older games is a REBOOT to a franchise that was struggling

At least it brought something fresh and exciting to Tomb Raider, even if the gameplay is similar to Uncharted, which as stated by someone else earlier was obviously influenced by the old Tomb Raider games so it's like pot calling kettle

If you like the Keeley Hawes Tomb Raider then play the old games that's fairly standard practice. This isn't the old Tomb Raider :dunno

I think the whole aim of the game was just to have a great time playing Tomb Raider, which i definitely had! the gameplay was great, the action satisfying. They had to get people excited and intrigued with her again. They aren't re-making the game for the old fans but for the new as well

The game is quite good, but am I the only one that thinks the graphics are kinda subpar - the textures more than anything at times. Lara's hair is really bugging me

While its Uncharted inspired, its Lara thru and thru

I personally hate comparing the two.

The game definitely gets better once you upgrade your guns and things but the writing, voice acting and story were pretty bad.

I could not disagree more, actually. What exactly did you expect from the story? Seriously.

Last edited:
I love Luddington. Cant wait to see her in more games and hey maybe even in a Tomb Raider Movie

The game is quite good, but am I the only one that thinks the graphics are kinda subpar - the textures more than anything at times. Lara's hair is really bugging me

What version of the game are you playing. Obviously the PC is going to be the best. But the PS3 version trailed second with the 360 version picking up the rear.

I played on the PS3 and thought the visuals were remarkable.

I could not disagree more, actually. What exactly did you expect from the story? Seriously.

I agree man. I don't understand what some of these people are talking about. The story was good, the characters and voice acting were good... I just don't get it...:dunno

As far as I'm concerned, the reboot put Tomb Raider back on the gaming map.

I thought even the graphics on the 360/PS3 were stunning and some of the best shown of this generation.

Yes Lara's hair looks way better on a high end PC ....but these consoles are now basically antiques. I'm surprised they run the reboot at all ! :D

Hey Chargersfan, playing on the 360 version. I guess what is getting me is that the levels are a lot of browns, greys - and when you zoom in a bit to fire a weapon, Lara's hair is always flapping in the wind in an unnatural fashion

That said, the platforming aspect and upgrades are awesome. Personally, story rivals Uncharted 1 - comparing the two is fair, to me, given the similar setting with an Island and all that.

Also feel the Voice work is quite excellent - Lara herself is great - again, that's just my take

I can't wait for Xbox1/PS4 version with TR2

Yeah, the actress playing Lara is excellent -

update - Amazon has this for 360 or ps3 for $20 - awesome price for awesome game. Anyone holding out, $20 is fantastic

Last edited:
Okay I know I'm late to the party but I literally just finished this game and as a long time Tomb Raider fan, here is my mini review.

First of all, I enjoyed the game to a degree. I felt that Crystal Dynamics should be applauded that they managed to create a solid game from start to finish. And the shooting mechanics and controls are some of the best I've ever experienced in a third person shooter. I can shoot people with arrows all day.

The graphics are stunning even on current gen consoles and the sound design is brilliant, the surround sound of this will knock your socks off.

Here's what I felt what's wrong in this game, it feels not much more than an Uncharted clone. There were way too many similar moments that ended up taking me out of the game. All the nonsense of structures collapsing works well in an Uncharted game because there's always a humorous aspect to what's going on. In TR, it never felt natural or needed, and taking itself seriously makes it unintentionally funny.

The plot is average at best and the characters are just there to show how awesome Lara is. While Tomb Raider suffers from the "been there, done that" syndrome, I still stink that any gamer should buy and play this, as like I said it's a very good game. It's just unfortunate that the gameplay, atmosphere and sense of wonder of the old games are probably gone for good.

Tomorrow I'm off to play Anniversary, the TR game that no one played.

I do agree with ya to a certain extent. I do think that they intentionally made the game like this though as to shock a bit of excitement back into the franchise.

It's a bit too safe in respect to the points you posted, it leans more towards a playthrough of a cinematic than it's predecessors.

I'm hoping that since this was a success the sequel will include more puzzles and the sense of discovery and wonder that featured so prominently in the originals will return.

Also it needs to be more difficult and not feel like your hands being held all the way through to the end

Okay I know I'm late to the party but I literally just finished this game and as a long time Tomb Raider fan, here is my mini review.

First of all, I enjoyed the game to a degree. I felt that Crystal Dynamics should be applauded that they managed to create a solid game from start to finish. And the shooting mechanics and controls are some of the best I've ever experienced in a third person shooter. I can shoot people with arrows all day.

The graphics are stunning even on current gen consoles and the sound design is brilliant, the surround sound of this will knock your socks off.

Here's what I felt what's wrong in this game, it feels not much more than an Uncharted clone. There were way too many similar moments that ended up taking me out of the game. All the nonsense of structures collapsing works well in an Uncharted game because there's always a humorous aspect to what's going on. In TR, it never felt natural or needed, and taking itself seriously makes it unintentionally funny.

The plot is average at best and the characters are just there to show how awesome Lara is. While Tomb Raider suffers from the "been there, done that" syndrome, I still stink that any gamer should buy and play this, as like I said it's a very good game. It's just unfortunate that the gameplay, atmosphere and sense of wonder of the old games are probably gone for good.

Tomorrow I'm off to play Anniversary, the TR game that no one played.

I do agree that some of the 'uncharted moments' in TR are a bit distracting, but don't fault them for it...I am half expecting a Nate Drake cameo

Think I am getting closer to the end - have missed a few items here and there, but got all the GPS ones...

I'd been wanting to get this game at some point and I had to jump on that Amazon price. Got it for PS3 and started playing this morning. Really enjoying it so far. Yes, it's very reminiscent of the Uncharted games but so far I don't have an issue with that at all. Plus she actually feels like a real person instead of some chick out of a comic book with giant knockers.

Back