New to 1/6th Should I buy any Sideshow Star Wars 1/6 figures or wait for hot toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the same boat. I feel like if Hot Toys releases a Vader it'll probably be a long ways off. For an essential character like him I want him in the collection but I dunno. The height of the Sideshow figure somewhat bothers me but that aspect aside he looks decent. I'm leaning towards getting it but not one hundred percent sure yet.

If you got the Star Wars license tomorrow, who would you want to make?

Vader.

So does Howard. And he will. The Star Wars Vader -- otherwise known as ANH Vader. Been a nice long time since Sideshow did that one.

Vader.

So does Howard. And he will. The Star Wars Vader -- otherwise known as ANH Vader. Been a nice long time since Sideshow did that one.
I agree that he'll be made at some point but given the relationship between Hot Toys and Sideshow and the fact that Sideshow just released their Vader I can see them holding off for a while. My guess is probably a couple years or so. Hot Toys will probably round out the other main characters like Luke, Leia, and Obi-Wan in the mean time.

I'd agree and disagree with you on price... yeah, $200 is a lot, too much for an 1/6 figure. But damned if that's just not what we pay for them now. Having said that "if", and it's a big "if", Sideshow delivers on the figure I think he's a solid value. If you get the exclusive it's 3 heads, a lot of hands and a more complicated outfit... not a bad pack out for a figure. Add to that 5% back on RP and you can use a $20 off code and I think he's worth it.

Now the DX Luke was a great deal, but that was also a few years ago and his price was about in line with what 2 figures would have cost you. And even at that he still was a slow seller... Since getting my original Exclusive I've bought two additional sets I used for parts for at retail (for an exclusive) and close to a $100 below retail just about 2 months ago. It's only just recently the price on him finally went up, but it's not even that dramatic of shift upwards.
I got my Bespin Luke set for $320 AUS - & that was on sale, so I guess while initially it was more expensive, either way it was still an awesome deal. :)

Vader.

Regardless of Sideshow's recent Vader figure wouldn't there still be a huge demand in the Asian market for a Vader figure? I'm sure Hot Toys could step right in there now and deliver it.

Regardless of Sideshow's recent Vader figure wouldn't there still be a huge demand in the Asian market for a Vader figure? I'm sure Hot Toys could step right in there now and deliver it.
Isn't it rumored though that they're doing figures that don't overlap Sideshow's as part of their working agreement? I know some people argue that they could do Vader from A New Hope but it would still be fairly similar to the one Sideshow just released. Like I said I think it'll happen but I bet its a ways off.

Why do people assume there's this unwritten rule to not make certain figures just because they were offered up previously? New company with new license. It's Vader. There's unlimited demand it would seem even after 40 years and going. Do people think everyone is now going to give Sideshow room because they just delivered a Vader? How long did Sideshow wait after Tamashii 3PO? Right now there's an ACI Aragorn and an Asmus Aragorn coming out the same time. Sideshow had their shot first. HT knows that and will give some time -- maybe until May next year -- but we'll have an HT Vader in 2015. No way in hell we won't. With HT, the masters at selling one thing and then offering a better version 9 months later. Come on.

Why are you getting so upset and taking it personally? Chill out, I've said twice that I don't doubt Hot Toys will do a Vader. My point is the Sideshow one just came out and we know that the two companies work in collaboration and particularly on this line. I don't think its so hard to believe that Hot Toys may wait a while. They have plenty of other characters they can work on first.

Sorry if my post came across as aggravated, wasn't meant to. It was a genuine response with support about why I don't think they'll wait a couple years. I agree about offering Ben, Luke and Leia first -- but that will take only a couple months, not years.

Lemme ask you though, you bought Sideshow Vader, right?

Sorry if my post came across as aggravated, wasn't meant to. It was a genuine response with support about why I don't think they'll wait a couple years. I agree about offering Ben, Luke and Leia first -- but that will take only a couple months, not years.

Lemme ask you though, you bought Sideshow Vader, right?
Not yet I'm contemplating pre-ordering from the batch releasing in January.

I may still order it myself. But I still want an HT Vader as soon as possible.
The main thing I find off putting is the height of the Sideshow Vader. I know he should be tall but he seems a bit too tall. I'm generally not one to mod figured (mostly for fear of damaging them) so that's not really an option. Aside from that though overall I think it looks good.

I have the old ANH Vader which I modded long ago and am pretty happy with for ANH. This new one troubles me because of the height and several other things. But I'm a sucker for Vaders. I don't really want a Vader that's going to be as tall as my HT Chewie and I don't want to do another body swap/mod. So if I get this deluxe version, it will be solely for separate display -- like the office or my desk at home or something.

Someone needs to Medi-futz that Medi-Han. I mean, come on. You're gonna argue what a great face it has, then leave it looking like that?

That is just right out of the box, I got the SSC Bespin Han earlier and I'm going to put the head on a better body and then work it from there with the clothes and belts and stuff.

I think HT will release a 1:4 Vader first, if they make a 1:6 right now it will compete with their partner's (Sideshow's) version.

I wonder too if HT will re-release "The Director."

GeorgeLucas.jpg

But I still want an HT Vader as soon as possible.

Despite Sideshow's Vader still being on the market, I think there's still a demand in the market for a Hot Toys Vader. One of the World's leading 1/6 figure companies buying one of if not 'the' biggest license out there. Build it an they will come.

Despite Sideshow's Vader still being on the market, I think there's still a demand in the market for a Hot Toys Vader. One of the World's leading 1/6 figure companies buying one of if not 'the' biggest license out there. Build it an they will come.

I'm in!

And word is out that the next "set" is Vader and Jedi Luke, so I couldn't be happier to think that's true.

Teehee, I just bought a Jedi Luke from a fellow freak and have two Vaders already. But I would still buy the set. :slap

Jedi Luke and Vader would be cool to get. In some ways though I wouldn't mind if Hot Toys finished A New Hope first though by doing farm boy Luke, Leia, and Obi-Wan. Plus a Vader eventually. Maybe they don't want to do figures all from one film at once though I guess.

Back