New to 1/6th Should I buy any Sideshow Star Wars 1/6 figures or wait for hot toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The storm and Fett may be far from perfect but are solid figures and HT are some way to offering them anyway.

The storm and Fett may be far from perfect but are solid figures and HT are some way to offering them anyway.

If they offer them at all. What people need to remember is that SSC and HT have been working together on this license. The old SSC Star Wars figures, from the first movie, anyway, don't live up to today's standards, so it's not surprising that HT is going back to the original, but I wouldn't expect them to cover a lot of the minor characters already done, and being done by SSC, it would be counter-productive to their partnership. I can see them doing better versions of the "human" characters, and Chewie, obviously, but why would they do Storm Troopers when there really isn't anything wrong with the ones that already exist (aside from nitpicks by a handful of ****-retentives)? Just my two cents.

Well, i wouldn't count stormtroopers as minor characters. They are pretty prominent players from the OT and, as troopers, i wouldn't mind adding one or two more to the collection. At the very least, i wouldn't mind an update to actual standards.
To me, any SSC production older than five years is fair game when it comes to main characters or iconic villains.

If I was to pick up Hot Toys Han & Chewie would the upcoming Sideshow R2 & C3PO fit nicely in scale with them? I know it's all 1/6 but just curious...

I'm in the same boat. Gonna be getting Han and Chewie and wondering if I should get the SS ones or wait wait for HT. Leaning towards HT now.

I'm pretty new to 1/6th collecting and will be getting the hot toys Han and Chewie, as I want to create a display with the core characters from the original trilogy (R2, Leia, Luke, Darth Vader, C3P0, Yoda, Obi Wan, Lando, Bobba) .

Should I wait for all the Hot toys releases for these classic Star Wars characters now they have the license or do you think I will be waiting a long time for some of the characters I've listed above, and should get some of the Sideshow releases? Are any of them Hot Toys quality and would you recommend?

I noticed there is a 1/6th RT-D2 coming out by sideshow, worth getting? or do you think Hot toys will be bringing one out in the near future?

IMO, your fairly safe with SS new stuff, I wouldn't try and get the stuff SS did 2+ years ago as the likeness factor was not that great on the human faces... I think your safe getting SS R2-D2, C-3PO and even Vader... HT did make a statement that they would not be doing anything SS has done before unless they could make a substantial improvement over it. So I imagine most of the stuff HT will be doing is from ANH film...

Pick and choose from both.

i wouldn't go for any Sideshow main characters older than 3 years, as i anticipate hot toys going after them sooner rather than later.

alioens and armored figures/ get what you like. Armored figures are generally troop builders, so having multiple Storm troopers looks great in a display.
Aside from a nicer 9 read: thinner) lightsaber, i don't see much room for non nitpick improvement in a potential hot toys Vader.

Moving forward, pick and choose. i don't think they're gonna actively compete with each other.

I am having a huge dilemma right now. I bought a Sideshow Sith Anakin a while back with the intention to make a custom out of it. Now I am at a loss if I should continue my plans or not however.. The custom would cost me more than a Hot Toys figure costs, quite a bit more, but I fear I may end up waiting for a Sith Anakin that will never see the light of day...

I am rather new to 1/6 scale myself. I have been weighing up what to buy myself. I have bought 5 clone commanders, Snowtrooper, Hammerhead, Darth Malgus and Bossk so far with Vader half paid for. I was torn about ordering Boba Fett. He could be better but will HT tackle it soon, doubtful imo.

I had planned on getting Rex, Fives and Echo, but will possibly just get Fives with the Chewbacca and Han reveal. I will also aim for a Biker Scout.

I still need to track down HT Bespin Luke at some point!

I am having a huge dilemma right now. I bought a Sideshow Sith Anakin a while back with the intention to make a custom out of it. Now I am at a loss if I should continue my plans or not however.. The custom would cost me more than a Hot Toys figure costs, quite a bit more, but I fear I may end up waiting for a Sith Anakin that will never see the light of day...

life is short. creating is fun.

life is short. creating is fun.

Indeed it is, but for a guy like me with limited funds the question is: Can I equal a hot toys figure by customizing the Sideshow one :p I consider buying a Darren headsculpt for it, and that alone costs as much as a full hot toys figure. (the head itself is actually very cheap, but the painting isn't)

If they offer them at all. What people need to remember is that SSC and HT have been working together on this license. The old SSC Star Wars figures, from the first movie, anyway, don't live up to today's standards, so it's not surprising that HT is going back to the original, but I wouldn't expect them to cover a lot of the minor characters already done, and being done by SSC, it would be counter-productive to their partnership. I can see them doing better versions of the "human" characters, and Chewie, obviously, but why would they do Storm Troopers when there really isn't anything wrong with the ones that already exist (aside from nitpicks by a handful of ****-retentives)? Just my two cents.

Stryker: with all due respect, you must be legally blind. Why redo Stormtroopers? Not like they are currently being offered. And the figure had issues....armor, crotch, wonky helmet. Some are too forgiving when it comes to mediocre efforts.

Indeed it is, but for a guy like me with limited funds the question is: Can I equal a hot toys figure by customizing the Sideshow one :p I consider buying a Darren headsculpt for it, and that alone costs as much as a full hot toys figure. (the head itself is actually very cheap, but the painting isn't)
HT Sith Anakin is likely a long ways off. Supposing the rumours are true (and so far, info we've gotten from the two guys w/Disney contacts have proven reliable), there will be 11 OT releases (not including Han and Chewie) between now and Ep VII's release. At that point, we can assume HT will shift focus to the new trilogy, with the odd figure here or there from the OT and maybe PT. If you want a Sith Anakin more than the HT OT stuff, I'd think you're pretty safe going with the custom. If you do want the OT stuff, though, I'd save your money for that.

...Why redo Stormtroopers? Not like they are currently being offered. And the figure had issues....armor, crotch, wonky helmet...
Yep, I kinda thought the same but couldn't be bothered to reply. SSC Stormtrooper's in bad need of a re-do and anyway is an iconic SW design and in high demand. Buying on aftermarket is simply not an option for most people that want one.

Last edited:
Howard chan ( hot toys CEO ) Is a HUGE Star wars PT fan, and loves anakin. it's more than a safe bet we will see a sith and regular anakin in the future.

at one point he even told us one was in development. granted, with this , we will likely see some changes in plans, butrest assured, he is coming....

Eventualy....

at some point...

Like that 1/6 queen alien....

Right?

Right Howard?

If I was to pick up Hot Toys Han & Chewie would the upcoming Sideshow R2 & C3PO fit nicely in scale with them? I know it's all 1/6 but just curious...

Sideshow's figures are a little bigger than HT's. I'm worried too that the SS C3PO might be taller than HT Bespin Luke.

Sideshow's figures are a little bigger than HT's. I'm worried too that the SS C3PO might be taller than HT Bespin Luke.

That's a concern. If the two company's hope to co-exist and work together on the Star Wars license you'd hope that the figures could be displayed together and look the correct scale.

You can't go wrong with the armored Sideshow figures - Vader, Boba, Clones, Stormtroopers, Biker Scout - unlikely to be improved upon by HT. Also a lot of the prequel Jedi are extremely cool, can be gotten very cheap now and are unlikely to be treated by HT any time soon. Also aliens - Greedo, Hammerhead, etc. from SSC are great.

I'd agree with that... and even if Boba and Vader get the HT treatment they will probably hold off on them for quite awhile. Droids are also probably safe, I don't think HT will be chomping at the bit to release the 3rd high-end C-3PO in three years and I don't think they'll bother with the battle droids, Grievous or IG-88.

I also think any secondary figures like the Endor Troopers, Praji or Antilles will also be safe as I don't think a) Hot Toys will ever go that deep and b) no one will want to spend $200 on them.

The figures I'd avoid would be any of the OT main characters... none from Sideshow are up to current standards and I think it's a lock we'll at least see a ANH Luke, ANH Leia, Bespin Han, Bespin Leia and ROTJ Luke from HT. Kenobi is likely, but I don't think will be a priority.

So I have a bit of a dilemma that's exactly what this thread is about. I have a line on some very decently priced Stormtrooper/Sandtroopers, and I have no idea if I should go for hem or just wait as I'm concerned Hot Toys will release the troopers that destroy the Sideshow ones.

I would try not to pay more than retail for them... even if HT does release troopers they will easily break $200 each and you can always use the Sideshow ones as fill-ins :lol And while I think the Stormies can be improved upon... the Sandtroopers are quite nice and the Snowtrooper is badass. So, not a lot of need for improvement there and honestly might be too "secondary" for HT to want to make them.

That's not been my experience, the heads and hands on the older figures are larger, but scale-wise Sideshow and HT tend to be compatible. Medicom and others 1/6 companies would be a different story.

I think everyone should wait to see the Hoth figures. If they **** them up jump ship i say.

Back