New to 1/6th Should I buy any Sideshow Star Wars 1/6 figures or wait for hot toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus83

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to 1/6th collecting and will be getting the hot toys Han and Chewie, as I want to create a display with the core characters from the original trilogy (R2, Leia, Luke, Darth Vader, C3P0, Yoda, Obi Wan, Lando, Bobba) .

Should I wait for all the Hot toys releases for these classic Star Wars characters now they have the license or do you think I will be waiting a long time for some of the characters I've listed above, and should get some of the Sideshow releases? Are any of them Hot Toys quality and would you recommend?

I noticed there is a 1/6th RT-D2 coming out by sideshow, worth getting? or do you think Hot toys will be bringing one out in the near future?

Last edited:
Re: New to 1/6th Should I buy any Sideshow Star Wars 1/6 figures or wiat for hot toys

SSC has always done a mostly fantastic on their armored figures. Less than decent on the human ones. Go for armored with SSC, save the humans to HT

Last edited:
i think it's safe to assume most OT humans/heroes will be releases in the next couple years by Hot Toys. ANH Han (and Chewy) are annouced, Luke, Leia and Ben can't be far behind. Vader and possibly Stormtrooper are also to be expected shortly.

If you can't wait for Hot Toys and want to spend your money right now, I'd advise to focus on recent armored (Boba Fett, Snowtrooper...), aliens (Yoda, Bossk, Greedo...) and droids (3PO, R2...).

Standard response is going to be that you're safe with SSC's armoured and alien characters, which is true, generally. Only exception for me is Boba Fett. Hate how that figure turned out and I would definitely not buy on the secondary market, but wait for HT's eventual release. If you don't have SSC's Vader, yet, I might wait on that, too, though no-one knows what version HT will release. If they opt for ANH, it might be a long wait until they release an ESB/ROTJ version. I have Sideshow's and think it's fantastic, but it is a bit too tall and there might be a few other details that bug you, depending how critical of an eye you have.

List of SSC figures I have and would recommend: Greedo, Hammerhead, Tusken Raider, IG-88, Bossk, Probot, Snowtrooper & E-Webb, Darth Vader and General Grievous. I have R2 and the Scout & Speeder Bike on pre-order. I think all of them will turn out great.

Another figure I'd highly recommend, if you can get a good deal, is Tamashii Nation's C-3PO. IMO, not even an HT release could beat it.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with the armored Sideshow figures - Vader, Boba, Clones, Stormtroopers, Biker Scout - unlikely to be improved upon by HT. Also a lot of the prequel Jedi are extremely cool, can be gotten very cheap now and are unlikely to be treated by HT any time soon. Also aliens - Greedo, Hammerhead, etc. from SSC are great.

If it's an OT figure I would wait for HT except for
the Snowtrooper, Biker Scout and obscure aliens like Hammerhead and Greedo.

If it's PT then buy Sideshow, since the rumours are that HT won't be going there for a long time, if at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The armored figures, droids and aliens are well done with the exception of a few of the earlier pieces. I don't thin you will see aliens like Greedo, Kit,etc. redone so would pick those up while still relatively affordable because I think HT will expand the collector base. Likewise the droids are very good and I certainly can't see HT developing these as well. The armored characters are a bit more of a question mark only because they are huge money makers. Sideshow has done a great job as it is, and the system was developed with HT. However if HT develops a higher quality stormtrooper with even more detail, heavier armor and more extras I could see folks upgrading. And given HT love affair with Iron Man armory, it might be too tempting to ignore, especially with all the clone repaint opportunities. However I still plan to buy two SS troopers on speeder bikes. I also want either SS or HT to do royal guards and senate guards with actual armor underneath the cloaks.

My biggest interest is to see HT producing humans and human-like aliens like twi'liks. That has been SSs weakness. I'm thinking about canceling Hoth Luke now.

Last edited:
If it's an OT figure I would wait for HT except for
the Snowtrooper, Biker Scout and obscure aliens like Hammerhead and Greedo.

If it's PT then buy Sideshow, since the rumours are that HT won't be going there for a long time, if at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I thought Anakin was a strong contender for the DX treatment:dunno

Sideshows stuff is great, I love all my figures. I really only collect the armoured characters and love them all.
Have Vader deluxe, Boba Fett regular and prototype, clone deluxe vet, IG 88, Snowtrooper, General Grievous.
Have Jango Fett and General Grievous on preorder.

If you can jump on that Clone Deluxe figure...amazing value and one of the few characters that may still be on sideshow collectibles besides preorders obviously.
Amazing value.

You can't go wrong with the armored Sideshow figures - Vader, Boba, Clones, Stormtroopers, Biker Scout - unlikely to be improved upon by HT. Also a lot of the prequel Jedi are extremely cool, can be gotten very cheap now and are unlikely to be treated by HT any time soon. Also aliens - Greedo, Hammerhead, etc. from SSC are great.

I agree with all that, except for Boba and Vader. I think significant improvements can be made to both and considering their popularity, I expect Hot Toys to make their version sometime in the next couple years.

I'm pretty new to 1/6th collecting and will be getting the hot toys Han and Chewie, as I want to create a display with the core characters from the original trilogy (R2, Leia, Luke, Darth Vader, C3P0, Yoda, Obi Wan, Lando, Bobba) .

Should I wait for all the Hot toys releases for these classic Star Wars characters now they have the license or do you think I will be waiting a long time for some of the characters I've listed above, and should get some of the Sideshow releases? Are any of them Hot Toys quality and would you recommend?

I noticed there is a 1/6th RT-D2 coming out by sideshow, worth getting? or do you think Hot toys will be bringing one out in the near future?

Sideshow products are not hot toys quality IMHO. Its not just that HT are more realistic looking and better tailored, there is also the way the figure feels in-hand. I have always find SSC's products a bit flimsy when compare to HT's, there is a feel of durableness and smoothness to the articulation on HT's products that SSC has yet to achieve. But then again, there is a somewhat big price gap between them so you can tell where the extra money goes. That said, I would agree with what most other freaks has already said. SSC's armored figures are perfectly adequate and they look totally fine in any collection. SSC darth vader 2.0 is a very cool figure, since its already out in the market why not get it and judge the quality? With Luke, Leia, Lando and Obi Wan, I think its better to wait for HT's version.

That is a bold statement, and gotta say SSC's Biker Scout is up there. Stormtrooper and Fett - there is room for HT

Sideshow products are not hot toys quality IMHO. Its not just that HT are more realistic looking and better tailored, there is also the way the figure feels in-hand. I have always find SSC's products a bit flimsy when compare to HT's, there is a feel of durableness and smoothness to the articulation on HT's products that SSC has yet to achieve. But then again, there is a somewhat big price gap between them so you can tell where the extra money goes. That said, I would agree with what most other freaks has already said. SSC's armored figures are perfectly adequate and they look totally fine in any collection. SSC darth vader 2.0 is a very cool figure, since its already out in the market why not get it and judge the quality? With Luke, Leia, Lando and Obi Wan, I think its better to wait for HT's version.

X2

:goodpost:

I am keeping my fingers crossed for Jabba setup from HT, I hope for an amazing set since I missed on Sideshow one (which is amazing nonetheless). But, I guess it is low on HT priority list.

For any of the core main characters - basically, the characters who were the first/original 12 in the Kenner line - I'd wait because Hot Toys will have released all of them within the next 2-3 years. For more obscure characters - aliens, soldiers, robots etc., go with Sideshow because it's what they do best.

I just want to add my two cents. I think anyone who is expecting HT to cover what Sideshow has already done better not hold their breath. That's not to say they won't re-do SOME of them because they will but anyone who is holding out for the HT Bossk is in for quite a shock. In my opinion HT already comes close to stretching themselves too thin, their SW line will continue but the releases won't be as often as Sideshows is, not to mention once Episode VII hits that will be all they focus on with a dash of OT here and there. I would say you can expect to see: Han, Chewie, Luke, Leia, Stormtrooper and possibly Boba Fett. I think Vader is a possibility but a waaaaay down the road especially since today's announcement makes it seem that Sideshow and HT are working side by side on this license.

Back