New to 1/6th Should I buy any Sideshow Star Wars 1/6 figures or wait for hot toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think everyone should wait to see the Hoth figures. If they **** them up jump ship i say.

I think everyone already jumped ship from SS human Star Wars figs. I know I did. Creatures and robots and armor, OK -- but no humans.

We're waiting to see if we are jumping back onboard with these Hoth offerings. Stakes are really up now that we all know --and see --- HT with the license. These Hoth figs need to be exceptional for me to keep my order.

I think everyone already jumped ship from SS human Star Wars figs. I know I did. Creatures and robots and armor, OK -- but no humans.

We're waiting to see if we are jumping back onboard with these Hoth offerings. Stakes are really up now that we all know --and see --- HT with the license. These Hoth figs need to be exceptional for me to keep my order.
:exactly::goodpost:

My big want now is a Luke Skywalker figure. Only want one, and really wanted an Empire Strikes Back figure. My options now are the over priced Bespin Luke Skywalker or the sideshow Hoth Commander Skywalker figure. I don't really want a ANH or ROTJ Luke.
I'll wait and see what the Hoth Luke is like.

My options now are the over priced Bespin Luke Skywalker or the sideshow Hoth Commander Skywalker figure.
The new SSC Hoth Luke is overpriced - let's get that straight for starters. :lol

In comparison, the HT Bespin Luke set runs RINGS around it in the value dept. The problem though, is that you're dealing with inflated after market prices for the BespinLuke set, whereas the SSC Hoth Luke is going to be available for retail for quite a while I'd imagine.

You can do your own math now. :lol

The new SSC Hoth Luke is overpriced - let's get that straight for starters. :lol

In comparison, the HT Bespin Luke set runs RINGS around it in the value dept. The problem though, is that you're dealing with inflated after market prices for the BespinLuke set, whereas the SSC Hoth Luke is going to be available for retail for quite a while I'd imagine.

Well I'm basically looking at $300 CDN more for the Bespin. I really want that figure.
But I don't know. I like the Hoth but the sculpt seems off. And yeah compared to the original Bespin pricing this Hoth figure seems way overpriced.
Should I just settle for another Luke. I can't see an ESB Luke coming out again anytime soon.

I'd be patient & wait for a good deal on the Bespin set.

Check out the for sale section here periodically, & the usual online places - but seriously, buy what you really.. like. :wink1:

I'd be patient & wait for a good deal on the Bespin set.

Check out the for sale section here periodically, & the usual online places - but seriously, buy what you really.. like. :wink1:

Yeah. I like the Bespin. Hahaha. I was going to get a set and sell off everything but the clean. Version with sabre and blaster but can't get someone to buy the other parts for a reasonable price.

Yeah thanks Vintiz for the advice...
I could see myself ending up with SSC Luke if it turns out ok.
that Bespin Luke looks extremely tough to get.

I did have SS Vader on PO but had to cancel. Would Vader still be worth picking up or best to wait for HT's offering (whenever that may be...)?

My opinion - not shared by everybody that's for sure - is that you have to mod any one of the SSC Vaders to integrate it with the rest of the collection. If you're not willing to do that and like your toys to look like their movie counterpart and not be as tall as Chewbacca and probably even taller than the coming HT Chewbacca that is too small :gah::slap:banghead anyway, it might be worth it to wait a bit and see what the future will bring. There doesn't seem to be a set edition size on SSC Deluxe Vader or it's a very large one. Modded for size (new body or cutting up original body) and going to town on the head under the dome, to be able to tilt the dome so it sits like in the movies, it's pretty good. IF you can overlook the fact that the suit doesn't work that well even on the original body.

Darth Chewie.jpg

Picture is of the ANH Vader, the Deluxe is a tiny tiny bit shorter.

That UU Han is such a fugly figure... glad that series seems to have died :lol

I'm sticking with the Hoth figures for 2 reasons; 1) I trust they will be decent if not great figures given Sideshow general positive progress and 2) we are not going to see Hoth figures from HT anytime soon if ever. So even if I do buy them now and later decide to upgrade I'll have enjoyed the figures for at least a few years... but if I were betting money I'd think HT will stay away from Hoth.

I'd agree and disagree with you on price... yeah, $200 is a lot, too much for an 1/6 figure. But damned if that's just not what we pay for them now. Having said that "if", and it's a big "if", Sideshow delivers on the figure I think he's a solid value. If you get the exclusive it's 3 heads, a lot of hands and a more complicated outfit... not a bad pack out for a figure. Add to that 5% back on RP and you can use a $20 off code and I think he's worth it.

Now the DX Luke was a great deal, but that was also a few years ago and his price was about in line with what 2 figures would have cost you. And even at that he still was a slow seller... Since getting my original Exclusive I've bought two additional sets I used for parts for at retail (for an exclusive) and close to a $100 below retail just about 2 months ago. It's only just recently the price on him finally went up, but it's not even that dramatic of shift upwards.

That UU Han is such a fugly figure... glad that series seems to have died :lol

The head is a weird one that's for sure, but the face is miles better than any other official release out there IMO, but the odd head and hair kills the joy somewhat. But still very happy I got it.

But I get the general feeling that anything Medi=puke and anything SSC is borderline great and if not, at least salvageable.:wink1:

My opinion - not shared by everybody that's for sure - is that you have to mod any one of the SSC Vaders to integrate it with the rest of the collection. If you're not willing to do that and like your toys to look like their movie counterpart and not be as tall as Chewbacca and probably even taller than the coming HT Chewbacca that is too small :gah::slap:banghead anyway, it might be worth it to wait a bit and see what the future will bring.

Thanks. Not too big on the whole modg thing. Hot Toys Vader will happen, it's just a case of when. Could be years off...

The head is a weird one that's for sure, but the face is miles better than any other official release out there IMO, but the odd head and hair kills the joy somewhat. But still very happy I got it.

But I get the general feeling that anything Medi=puke and anything SSC is borderline great and if not, at least salvageable.:wink1:

Well not everything is salavable... but sometimes a bit easier. And I agree on Han, great face, but weird hair and the rest is just not up to snuff quality-wise... it's like EB only handled the face and paint, and Medi did the rest.

I did have SS Vader on PO but had to cancel. Would Vader still be worth picking up or best to wait for HT's offering (whenever that may be...)?
I'm in the same boat. I feel like if Hot Toys releases a Vader it'll probably be a long ways off. For an essential character like him I want him in the collection but I dunno. The height of the Sideshow figure somewhat bothers me but that aspect aside he looks decent. I'm leaning towards getting it but not one hundred percent sure yet.

Back