New to 1/6th Should I buy any Sideshow Star Wars 1/6 figures or wait for hot toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listen, you know hot toys will release major characters in the Star Wars world.
Sideshow is still great and will offer any of the other peripheral characters in the Star Wars universe.
It's not like Sideshow is crap or anything. Just pick and choose what characters you like.

I only have Bespin Luke and have Han Solo and Chewbacca on preorder. I'm thinking of getting some of the Sideshow releases like the upcoming R2-D2 and when its revealed their C3PO. I think I'll stick with Hot Toys for human characters just because for the most part I don't think Sideshow does as good of a job particularly on human head sculpts but they seem to be able to do aliens and robots pretty well as well as masked characters. I basically expect only the main characters from Hot Toys though and not every last side character.

I haven't decided how deep into this line I really want to get. Luke, Han, Leia, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Chewbacca, R2-D2, and C3PO are probably my main wants. For villains I'd probably get Vader, Boba Fett, a couple Storm Troopers, and The Emperor but I think that's as far as I'd go. Seems like a lot. :lol I don't plan to get variants for the characters though except possibly Luke.

I really hope HT does the prequel characters as well as OT. I know the rumor going around the board is Disney is going to be de-emphasizing the PT, but they are still popular for an entire generation both through the movies and the Clone Wars TV series. I don't want to be stuck with the SS versions. If Anakin gets shown it'll quell the rumors.

I really hope HT does the prequel characters as well as OT. I know the rumor going around the board is Disney is going to be de-emphasizing the PT, but they are still popular for an entire generation both through the movies and the Clone Wars TV series. I don't want to be stuck with the SS versions. If Anakin gets shown it'll quell the rumors.

Disney bought LucasFilm for 4 Billion dollars.....that's a lot of stuff to sell before they start to see their first penny ($4,000,000,000.01) of profit from their purchase. They aren't de-emphasizing anything that will make them money...you and Disney can take that to the bank!

Have fun waiting years and years for Hot Toys to try to cover all the characters that SSC has done. Hot Toys will be more focused on the new characters from the new trilogy and Iron Man than old Star Wars characters.

HT will produce what makes them money. They are still producing TDK Jokers. They will produce all 42 Iron Man armors as long they make money. They are producing BTTF, RoboCop, Alien, Predator and Terminator figures. I think people are stretching rumors based on what they want and not on any confirmed fact. OT folks who hate the prequels are fanning the flames. Never mind that the fanbase for PT characters still dwarfs most of HT's other licenses. So I would think that unless there is something in HT's contract that precludes them from producing characters previously released by SS or PT characters we'll be seeing them.

Hot Toys and Sideshow are collaborating on distribution or product development? Since Sideshow had the SW license first, does that mean they get to dictate what characters HT can only make? Since SS's Darth Vader v2 is currently in production, HT cannot produce their Vader until sale of the SS version has dwindled -- to have fair competition? Really confused by these companies' partnership, really surprised that I get to see the HT logo at the bottom of a SS box and vise versa.

HT's Star Wars license is independent of Sideshow's, but Sideshow is HT's North American distributor, so they will want to coordinate and not antagonize one another, for sure. That said, in regards to Vader, HT could release the ANH version, which technically wouldn't be directly competing w/SSC's, since the look is so different. I would think that HT will wait until SSC's has sold out, anyway, before putting even an ANH Vader pre-order up.

Since so many (all?) of Sideshow's armored figures are co-branded Hot Toys due to HT's development work, I'm wondering how many HT will bother remaking ...

I don't see them revisit clones for some time (if ever). They'll tackle stormtroopers (and sandtroopers) for sure as they weren't involved in their development and SSC's versions are pretty dated now.
Also, they'll probably have enough on their plate with new armor designs from the sequels to keep away from clones for a few years.

So I have a bit of a dilemma that's exactly what this thread is about. I have a line on some very decently priced Stormtrooper/Sandtroopers, and I have no idea if I should go for hem or just wait as I'm concerned Hot Toys will release the troopers that destroy the Sideshow ones.

I'm wondering if I should pre-order Sideshow's Vader from the upcoming second batch or just wait a while. Thing is I imagine if Hot Toys gets to making their own it may be a ways off. Also I regret not buying Boba Fett. I wonder what the chances are I'd get one if I put myself on the waitlist.

I dunno, it's a tough call. I love Sideshow's Vader, but honestly, if I didn't have him already, I'd probably keep my powder dry for HT. And definitely I wouldn't buy SSC's Stormtroopers or Fett, at this point. They will be made, and on nice TT bodies with updated armour and details. If you've waited this long for them, what's another while longer for possibly definitive versions.

That said, I might make an exception for the Sandtroopers, if the price was right and I had a Tatooine themed display (particularly if I had the Dewback).

Good point. I think I might get the Sideshow Vader at least for now. Boba Fett and Storm Troopers can wait though.

Crap. I bought Stormtrooper (last July) and Boba Fett (last week). Anyway, I think it'll be years before we get a HT Fett. They will probably wait for Sideshow to sell out their Empire Strikes Back Fett UK rerelease and the rumored ROTJ version.

Back