New Star Wars Packaging for 2012

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The design is decent, but hasbro will never be able to make something better than the vintage stuff so they're kinda screwed in that respect anyway.

The packages just get tossed for the few figures I buy nowadays. They could pack them in ziplock baggies, and that would be fine by me.

If it drops the price down I'll take them in a a ziplock bag, heck it doesn't even have to be ziplock brand i'll take generic zip bags if it takes the price down to $5 or $6. :)

I like it but then again I like Darth Maul so I'd be ok with it. I would like to see SS do something different but are they still required to use what they have been by LFL as was the case in the past?

I think this package style will only reflect the "legends" line (figure repacks) and whatever banner replaces "vintage" (although I thought I read somewhere that "Vintage" was running through 2012...maybe not).

Episode One is not having an "Anniversary" per se' , but it is hitting the theaters again in 3D so maybe this package design is reflecting that.

I'd be surprised if they'd go with this look for the CW line, which I presume will still be going strong with the kid market.

As for Sideshow's Lucas-mandated boxes (that date back to the 30th Anniversary ANH year)...I'd agree an update would be good, but not a step backwards to what Sideshow had before...but something fresh.

We'll see...

except for the goofy pic of Maul, I really like it. The seperatist design scheme is cool. Would like it a lot if SSC used that theme for the upcoming droids.

As long as its just for the anniversary of Ep I, which presumably will constitute only Episode I figures.

Vintage should remain the default.

Nope across the line, but no one has said if Vintage is ending to be replaced by this.

I think this package style will only reflect the "legends" line (figure repacks) and whatever banner replaces "vintage" (although I thought I read somewhere that "Vintage" was running through 2012...maybe not).

Episode One is not having an "Anniversary" per se' , but it is hitting the theaters again in 3D so maybe this package design is reflecting that.

I'd be surprised if they'd go with this look for the CW line, which I presume will still be going strong with the kid market.

As for Sideshow's Lucas-mandated boxes (that date back to the 30th Anniversary ANH year)...I'd agree an update would be good, but not a step backwards to what Sideshow had before...but something fresh.

We'll see...

Yup, Clone Wars will have this look too. They say because of the introduction of Savage Opress and his quest to find Darth Maul it is fitting for it too.

From Rebelscum.com:
Hasbro confirmed in their Toy Fair presentation that The Vintage Collection would continue at least through 2012, which means there are no packaging changes planned for this line that has really struck a chord with collectors old and new.

Every card back designed by Hasbro has sucked since 1995 so this is no surprise. As long as they keep the Kenner-inspired Vintage line going I'll keep collecting.

Yup, Clone Wars will have this look too. They say because of the introduction of Savage Opress and his quest to find Darth Maul it is fitting for it too.

Oh boy...I see it now. That slightly-off Maul is actually the version of him we'll probably see from the Clone Wars series. Ugh. Really? Or is it just a preview of the "stylized" versions of characters we're going to see on the cards (similar to the defunct "Unleashed" series). Could be either...

Well, this new card is reminding me of one of the other "worst card backs" we've seen in the line...the post-Episode One "Power of the Jedi" line...that card with it's gross-out greens and tacky assemblage of images that tried to combine old and new...didn't work well, although that line featured a lot of great figures.

The new one even features part of that card design, the artist's rendering of Padawan Kenobi splashed on the side....although I think that image on the sample could just be a place holder of where the character featuring the figure will be...

I do like seeing "The Phantom Menace" on the vintage-style card and am glad that card is sticking around for a while...

Eh, I take my toys outta the box, so personally I'm not too concerned about the packaging. It does look pretty ridiculous though.

I don't know if anyone had a chance to read the page on SW.com but it talks about the design working with the return of EP1 in theaters. It also has a link to the design firm that created the graphics for Hasbro.

Almost forgot about that!
Watched TPM yesterday (today AOTC and tomorrow ROTS) and I have to say, it really isn't that bad. But Jar-Jar is still anoying, the space battle where Anakin destoys the droid control ship could have been skipped, the podrace was to long (George could have better made a movie called "The Podrace" and leave it out of TPM) and I think the "politics" don't belong in the movie...

Dont want to :horse But that were just my thoughts... :monkey3

The biggest misconception is that this is Hasbro's doing. It is not it is Lucasfilm and how they control the Star Wars license. They have a summit every year with their licensees and unveil their new packaging and other new ideas to impose on them. LFL has these new designs worked up by a design firm called Pilot and they have been doing it for years. Pilot even designed the Indy lines. This is for all product not just Hasbro. Do you remember when Sideshow's Star Wars packaging changed? It to was announced the same way that Lucasfilm in order to control everything had a design firm come up with a new design to be used on high end collectibles. So Sideshow had to switch along with Gentle giant and any other collectibles license.

https://www.starwars.com/vault/collecting/news20100113.html

2010's
https://www.starwars.com/vault/collecting/news20100113.html

https://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/news20080204.html

https://www.starwars.com/vault/collecting/20090109.html

Indy
https://www.starwars.com/community/news/films/news20071010.html

Oh boy...I see it now. That slightly-off Maul is actually the version of him we'll probably see from the Clone Wars series. Ugh. Really? Or is it just a preview of the "stylized" versions of characters we're going to see on the cards (similar to the defunct "Unleashed" series). Could be either...

Well, this new card is reminding me of one of the other "worst card backs" we've seen in the line...the post-Episode One "Power of the Jedi" line...that card with it's gross-out greens and tacky assemblage of images that tried to combine old and new...didn't work well, although that line featured a lot of great figures.

The new one even features part of that card design, the artist's rendering of Padawan Kenobi splashed on the side....although I think that image on the sample could just be a place holder of where the character featuring the figure will be...

I do like seeing "The Phantom Menace" on the vintage-style card and am glad that card is sticking around for a while...

I'm guessing that Maul is just a placeholder.

If you guys are referring to the Maul in the upper RH corner, it's there to stay.

https://starwars.com/vault/collecting/2012_star_wars_line_look/index.html

Will there be a variation of this used for The Clone Wars packaging?

Cheregotis: "There will not be a variant for Clone Wars packaging. We always try to keep one brand look for all segments of the property, and in this case, the use of Maul is especially fitting given the introduction of Savage Opress in The Clone Wars and his quest to find Maul."

Back