New Doctor Who Figures? (5 inch scale)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Doctor Who Figures?

Now shipping from Weta warehouses in US, UK and NZ
:
00008_2_750h.jpg

More info at
https://www.wetanz.com/collectibles/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=54

If I ever buy a high end collectible from Nu-Who it'll almost certainly be this statue as "Dalek" is my favorite of the one off stories.

Doctorwhotoys.net have the first part of an interview with the top man at Character Options which is an intresting read,

https://www.doctorwhotoys.net/characteroptions.htm

I don't agree with some of the things he says but I can't knock him too much as his favorite Doctors are the 4th and 9th.

I love some of Weta's high end stuff, their helmet collections are more in my price range though, thinking of getting the Sycorax. There's supposed to be six in the series and six have been announced, although one was a classic Cyberman, I'm surprised there wasn't a modern Cyberman from Nu Who as well since the designs are quite different. Quite a few classic monsters like the Ice Warriors though.

Great pic of your sea devil bcm. :rock

Thanks!
Once I've got 2 or 3 more I'm going to take a pic of them emerging from the actual pond.
The water will probably discolor the netting which will make it look a bit more show accurate but I want to keep at least one in mint condition so for this first pic I avoided submerging it.

I just picked up series 4 of the figures. Donna Noble,The Doctor with the 5 little fat things and the the rest of the set at Newbury Comics for my twin brother.
:chew

I just heard that Davros will be packed 3/pack single carded. Good news for everyone who didn't want to buy The Stolen Earth boxset.

I just heard that Davros will be packed 3/pack single carded. Good news for everyone who didn't want to buy The Stolen Earth boxset.

Terrible news for those that wanted the Crucible Dalek on a single card. I wanted to say this over on DWF but fear of lynching of late stopped me, but this is absolutely retarded ESPECIALLY for the market here in the US. Doctor Who is not a kids show, it's a family show. Yes kids buy the toys but collectors have the money. If they released the Crucible Dalek they would make a mint, especially from people that just want to swap out the claws for plungers. If they want to take a kid centric approach in the UK that's fine but they should readjust their strategy for the US because I see the line tanking eventually (at least here) with all the rereleases, pegwarmers and lack of demanded figures. Ugh one thing that annoyed me most about that interview is that it seemed, while a fan is in charge of the line he is also letting his fanboy likes and dislikes get in the way of the product. Davidson should have had his celery, there should be classic companions (especially since Classics is a collectors line if ever there was one) and don't pass your "vision" for Who. .. Rant over.

Terrible news for those that wanted the Crucible Dalek on a single card. I wanted to say this over on DWF but fear of lynching of late stopped me, but this is absolutely retarded ESPECIALLY for the market here in the US. Doctor Who is not a kids show, it's a family show. Yes kids buy the toys but collectors have the money. If they released the Crucible Dalek they would make a mint, especially from people that just want to swap out the claws for plungers. If they want to take a kid centric approach in the UK that's fine but they should readjust their strategy for the US because I see the line tanking eventually (at least here) with all the rereleases, pegwarmers and lack of demanded figures. Ugh one thing that annoyed me most about that interview is that it seemed, while a fan is in charge of the line he is also letting his fanboy likes and dislikes get in the way of the product. Davidson should have had his celery, there should be classic companions (especially since Classics is a collectors line if ever there was one) and don't pass your "vision" for Who. .. Rant over.

I agree. The Character Options guy seems to be using his position to push his personal vision of Doctor Who on customers which could ultimately bite him and his company in the ass.

Saying Classic Who is only about "monsters and villains" makes me wonder if he's ever watched any Classic stories at all and is just claiming to be a big fan for appearances sake,as I suspect is the case with RTD and the TV series.

Can you imagine how Lucasfilm would react if one of their licensees started going into business for themselves and making decisions like the celery debacle?
They'd almost certainly end the licensing agreement at the earliest opportunity and probably screw up any chances for that company getting a high profile license from anyone else in the future and I think the BBC should start paying much closer attention to these sorts of liberties being taken with their intellectual properties.

Marketing the Classic line primarily to kids is a stupid move as the majority of them likely think Christopher Eccleston was the 1st Doctor and won't be intrested in going back and watching the old shows on DVD because it doesn't look as "cool" as Nu-Who due to the dated special effects and slower pace of the majority of stories.

If the Classic line fails due to Character Options refusing to recognise the correct demographic that they'll appeal to most it would be a massive shame because the quality of the first wave has been outstanding and the potential for expansion in a line based on a show that ran for 26 years is almost limitless.

Then again if Character Options aren't going to make any companions which essentially means no Sarah Jane,Leela,Romana II,Tegan,Nyssa and probably other close allies of the Doctor like The Brigadier then maybe they should just release the remaining Doctors and call it a day.

Last edited:

I guess no Who for me. "12" are more a collector's item and they are only interested in the kids market, not the collectors."

Oh well.

It's a shame that no one in Asia probably knows of Doctor Who as I would kill to see HT take on the 1/6 range.

Can you imagine a Dalek or a Cyberman made by Hot Toys? It boggles the mind! :google

Can you imagine a Dalek or a Cyberman made by Hot Toys? It boggles the mind! :google

Given their penchant for large scale pieces I dare say they'd do a K1 Robot and Bessie too!

I guess no Who for me. "12" are more a collector's item and they are only interested in the kids market, not the collectors."

Oh well.

Looking on the bright side though, if Character Options aren't interested in a 1/6 line the license may end up getting passed to someone else like Hasbro did for Star Wars to Sideshow. We need to start a poll right now, get Sideshow making 1/6 Doctor Who figures.:lol

I'm not sure how Character operates outside the UK, although I understand that the figures are much harder to come by in the states, so I can't really comment on that. As for the classics line, that must've been released chiefly for collectors. Surely there isn't that big a kid market for this kind of stuff and as for CO saying collectors aren't a big enough market to drive the line, maybe they should take a leaf out of Mattel's book and make collector orientated figures in a smaller production run. They could offer one a month through their website like Mattel's planning to do with their new MOTU line.

Sideshow would undoubtedly do very nice Doctor Who statues,busts and PF's but IMO they shouldn't be let anywhere near 1/6 figures unless it's just to make the packaging for someone else.
Look how elaborate some of the Doctor's costumes are,especially things like the 6th Doctor's coat.
They need to be made with quality materials and have a level of tailoring that I'm not sure Sideshow knows exists.
And if the Star Wars line is any indication all 10 Doctors would have the same zombie like expression and their likenesses totalled by the idiots who paint the production pieces.
If none of the Asian companies are intrested in acquiring the license I'd sooner there not be a 1/6 Doctor Who line. Sideshow almost singlehandedly killed my intrest in Star Wars collecting so I don't want them to do the same with Doctor Who.

Last edited:

I'd really wait until we get some of the Pro based figures before saying SS shouldn't be let anywhere near Who but I'd really like to see HT take a crack at it just because of the detail they had in the Joker hair. Couldn't even imagine how great that could be transferred over to 10.

I'd really wait until we get some of the Pro based figures before saying SS shouldn't be let anywhere near Who but I'd really like to see HT take a crack at it just because of the detail they had in the Joker hair. Couldn't even imagine how great that could be transferred over to 10.

Sideshow have failed to deliver so many times in the past I rather think that the new base bodies will do little but increase the price of each figure.
On the other hand if Sideshow did get the Who license we'd probably see all the Cybermen and Daleks made by Hot Toys anyway,just like the armored Star Wars figures.

Back