New Doctor Who 1:6 from Big Chief Studios!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Doctor Who 1:6 and 1:4 from Big Chief Studios!

I would wager that this is how Matt Smith signs most of the time. That first sig plate may have just been a prop used to make it clear that it was a Matt Smith Signature that was coming with the figure.

As evidence I present these three autographs attained via the BBC Dr Who production office (which has so far forwarded all our WHO mail to actors). This is how Matt signs when there is no time pressure or and he can do what he wants when he wants...

MSPIXL.png

This is how Matt signs. I knew this before it arrived so when it came looking the same, I was not in the least bit surprised.

That's twice the signature he did for these.

Well, a signature is what it is, and I know that my own can be the whole name, or a line !!

Anyways, I'm more than happy with it and the Doctor figure.

I have been playing with it (haha) to take some photos.

Not a super duper camara and no lighting effects though, but I did bring in a couple of guest stars.

OK, gotta share. I feel like such an idiot.
According to the accesory list the figure comes with a wrist watch. Ive been searching for it. It wasn't in the box, so I figured it must have bounced out when I opened the thing up. There was a space for it in the box, but no watch. I went thru the bin loking through the parcel wrapping nothing....

:slap

The empty section in the box was for the sonic that I have the figure holding, and the watch.... it's on his wrist !!!!
:thud:

Inspired by finding the watch, and the poster for Back to the future, I decided to take a few "It's About Time" pics.

View attachment 50588

View attachment 50589

View attachment 50590

View attachment 50591

View attachment 50592

Last edited:

Those are good pics but I wish they werent so small!

The upload area says they must be a particular size.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll see how I can put bigger versions in.

OK, trying for a larger in line image.

Hm... How to get out of thumbnail mode?

Edit - Yup. It looks like I need to host the pic on a URL befor insertion.

Last edited:

Mine's here! I wasn't expecting him until next week, woot. :)

What a fantastic figure. Still looking him over and loving the details- his face in particular is better than even the photos show.

That's twice the signature he did for these.

Well, no not really. On the plaque, all he has done is to join the two letters together. I find this hard to fathom really, he was clearly at BCS with Karen at some point, they must have signed the plaques.

Yet some people don't like what they got because it did not match the mock-up made for the site/press announcement? :dunno

Signing like this is not new...The late great Andreas Katsulas, who played G'Kar on BABYLON 5 only ever signed as 'Andreas', and that is only a second example from my own personal experience of getting autographs.

Another couple of pictures for the pile. That's the Character Options Cyberman there.

418759_10151114810734322_230442065_n.jpg

558724_10151116006654322_1328597703_n.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks that this figure could be better? I know it is their first and that they will almost certainly up their game as they go along, but this was an expensive figure and, as a figure (rather than a piece of Dr Who memorabilia) I am not convinced it is worth the money.

The sculpt is great. No problems with that. A good likeness and that is the most important factor. But the jacket drives me to distraction. The collar won't stay down (neither will the collar on the shirt) and some of the stitching is pretty obvious. I have wired the collar now and put a few stitches into the lapels (which had been glued down, but one came unstuck) and it sits better. I am happy to do this sort of fiddling with a cheap figure. It gives me the satisfaction of getting something from very little. But, when I pay this sort of money, I don't expect to have to do this sort of tinkering.

My other bugbear is, as ever, the paintwork. His face is a dirty grey tan colour. I am not sure they got it quite right with the colour washes. And, because there is so much paint on his face, his neck and hands are noticeably lighter. The irises are also set strangely and he has an expression of constant panic.

Anyway, I am having fun with him and don't regret buying, but I will watch the other releases and see how these things progress before splashing out again. Keep going, Big Chief.

Well, a signature is what it is, and I know that my own can be the whole name, or a line !!

Anyways, I'm more than happy with it and the Doctor figure.

I have been playing with it (haha) to take some photos.

Not a super duper camara and no lighting effects though, but I did bring in a couple of guest stars.

Great minds think alike, I got Martha out of storage to pose with the Doc, not sure if the scale works she seems to short, but she'll do for now. Just a thought about the autograph, in the promo pic it was number 11 that was signed, maybe he did just that one a bit special, perhaps whoever gets it could let us know.

Am I the only one who thinks that this figure could be better? I know it is their first and that they will almost certainly up their game as they go along, but this was an expensive figure and, as a figure (rather than a piece of Dr Who memorabilia) I am not convinced it is worth the money.

The sculpt is great. No problems with that. A good likeness and that is the most important factor. But the jacket drives me to distraction. The collar won't stay down (neither will the collar on the shirt) and some of the stitching is pretty obvious. I have wired the collar now and put a few stitches into the lapels (which had been glued down, but one came unstuck) and it sits better. I am happy to do this sort of fiddling with a cheap figure. It gives me the satisfaction of getting something from very little. But, when I pay this sort of money, I don't expect to have to do this sort of tinkering.

My other bugbear is, as ever, the paintwork. His face is a dirty grey tan colour. I am not sure they got it quite right with the colour washes. And, because there is so much paint on his face, his neck and hands are noticeably lighter. The irises are also set strangely and he has an expression of constant panic.

Anyway, I am having fun with him and don't regret buying, but I will watch the other releases and see how these things progress before splashing out again. Keep going, Big Chief.

Good post, and I too don't think its worth the money - even though I am now thinking quite seriously about getting him, as one of my ebay auctions raised more than I thought it would. I've been taken to task for commenting on the figure when I don't have him in hand but your comments echo my own feelings based on the photos I've seen - good sculpt, average paint job, and the jacket and shirt look no more than adequate, with the size of the collars and their 'bulkiness' looking like something from a cheaper action figure. But - it's the doctor and so with me, and I suspect with other people, my emotional attachment to the character will override my reservations about the quality. However, that will only work once - I won't buy again if I don't like this one.

To be more positive, the likeness is right and that is the most important thing - I just saw a custom Tom on Gallifrey Base that had a wonderful scarf and clothes but the worst HS ever - like something out of a nightmare.

My collars were sticking up a bit as well, but all I did was roll up the shirt collar, raise the elastic on the tie a smidgen, then roll it back down over the elastic.
For the jacket, I pulled it I back over te shoulder, folded the collar into place, then raised the arms to pull the jacket into place, in much the same way as you would with a real jacket, and this worked fine.

Great minds think alike, I got Martha out of storage to pose with the Doc, not sure if the scale works she seems to short, but she'll do for now. Just a thought about the autograph, in the promo pic it was number 11 that was signed, maybe he did just that one a bit special, perhaps whoever gets it could let us know.

Me thinks that Matt was given number 11 as a gift.
The BC guys would do that.

I'm hoping that we get sig eds of the 10th and 4th as well. This could shape up to a very, very nice collection. Just gotta keep my mates kids away from them when the visit :lol

But - it's the doctor and so with me, and I suspect with other people, my emotional attachment to the character will override my reservations about the quality.

This. And it is because of this that we will pay more than we would for a figure of comparable quality of a character we weren't so invested in. I see it as paying £90 for the figure and £60 for the fact that it is the Doctor. This is why I don't regret buying. Not because it is an unmissable figure or the best use for £150 that I could think of, but because it is the only opportunity we will get to buy an even half decent, legitimate, 1:6 figure of the Eleventh Doctor. I say go for it.

Orders shipped to the US, however, are being held up on entering New York, subject to a security and customs checks backlog.

eqh1X.gif

Oh well. The wait continues.

I'm actually happy with the figure. Looks good, I dont have many
"real world" clothes figures so maybe I'm missing some of the defects
Others have noted?
Looking forward to see the head sculpts for
10 and 4!

Just ordered the chap through Forbidden Planet (free shipping) and really cant wait! Looks amazing. Looking forward to getting 10th and 4th, too.

Just ordered the chap through Forbidden Planet (free shipping) and really cant wait! Looks amazing. Looking forward to getting 10th and 4th, too.

Glad to see youre getting this really cool dude. He could look great standing next to your Indy.

Judging from what I can see in the photos I don't think BC have done a bad job at all really, especially when you consider this is their very first outing into producing 1.6th scale figures, which is no easy task I imagine.

I mean look at the history of other companies such as Sideshow. I bet they didn't hit the ground running with perfect products from the get go I'll be bound. :)

As much as I like Smiths portrayal of the Doctor I don't feel the need for a figure of him, but will be far more interested in a Tennant and Baker depending on the likeness.

I hope Tom isn't stuck with yet another head sculpt of him grinning maniacally as I'd vastly prefer a more serious look, such what my friend sculpted. I really like this expression.

watermark1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back