New Doctor Who 1:6 from Big Chief Studios!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Doctor Who 1:6 and 1:4 announcement!

Too small by about 2 inches.

Yep, I'd say that's about right.

4th-Doctor-Who-Tom-Baker--008.jpg

Yep, I'd say that's about right.

4th-Doctor-Who-Tom-Baker--008.jpg

I don't know though - the Daleks in the foreground look larger then the ones behind. But yeah, it would probably be just too small, although sometimes things look right even when they shouldn't.

I did wonder about this. I do plan on having my 11 figure next to my CO RC Dalek (even though it's the gold one) as I think the height works out pretty well there... although I think in that case it's a bit over-sized.

The Matt smith sculpt is a great sculpt no doubt but I hate how clumpy the sculpted hair for his fringe looks.( bangs to you Americans)

Agree on Amy's facial expression. It is the eye placement. The irises need to be tucked slightly futher under the upper lid. Karen Gillan did look pretty starey in most of her Dr Who appearances, but not Stepford Wives starey

And the Dr's hair overall looks clumpy and as though it is made of chocolate. Again, I think it is the paintwork. With a different colour and lighter touch, it would do fine. Look at the sculptng under the paint. Pretty well defined. https://https://www.bigchiefstudios.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/1_6-11th-Doctor-In-Dev-Image-06.jpg

I am still gagging to see the production samples. The final paintwork makes or breaks the deal for me.

Agreed, if Amy continues to look all 'uncanny valley' then I'll be skipping her, I'm afraid. I want to be proven otherwise, I want the final version to impress and convince me to pull the trigger, but it has to earn my money, I won't buy it just to 'complete the set' or because there are no other options out there. And right now, the dead eyed stare just isn't working for me by a long shot.

The Smith figure I'm in for no matter what, but my satisfaction level with the final article will pretty determine any future spending on this line. If they knock it out of the park on the final production piece, then I'm in for the long haul (as long as the sculpts and quality remains) and I can see them getting a lot of my money in the future. If not, then it'll be damn hard to convince me to take another leap of faith, especially at these prices.

I really am hoping for the best though. On both counts.

Totally agree ex-Parrott. at these prices you have to be selective and happy

6840357089_00f66af7e0_z.jpg
Amy looks great.:wink1:

I actually like Amy more and more. I agree that there is a slightly creepy uncanny valley effect but this is most pronounced in giant close up photos which have no relation to how you would view her - most likely on a shelf across a room, and from a slight distance she looks pretty good. I think a really, really good repaint would make this figure amazing. I know you shouldn't need a repaint but good female figures are so hard to produce that I would settle for a good sculpt, which I think this is.

Great news! I heard that Hastings is going to be carrying a limited supply of the Matt Smith figure. They don't have it up yet but they are supposed to start selling them on their web site as soon as it's in stock! Now I can get one without having to import it!

Amy is not exactly expressive as a character.

I'm sure Big Chief has considered this already, but if they used Diamond as a north american distributor, their stuff would get in front of every comic shop owner in the US and Canada. Diamond carries other Doctor Who stuff from other companies, and other 12 inch figures, so it seems like a good fit.

I think she's a great character with a lot more depth than most companions.

I agree. But Karren Gillian's acting doesn't rely on over-the-top facial expressions to put the depth of her character across. She is not a physical actor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back