New Doctor Who 1:6 from Big Chief Studios!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Doctor Who 1:6 and 1:4 announcement!

The guys at Big Chief are buddies so I can verify the high level of detail put into these. No need to worry about "Barbie" quality I read someone fretting earlier. :) :clap:clap:clap

That's encouraging, I don't want to get all excited only for the 1:6 figures to end up having crappy, Sideshow-esque tailoring or stoned facial expressions.

I'm curious to see how this goes over. My sense has always been that the market for 1/6 Who is pretty small. The main interest seems to be in the 5" scale. 1/6 Doctor Who with a likely triple digit price tag could be a tough sell, no matter how good they look.

I'm curious to see how this goes over. My sense has always been that the market for 1/6 Who is pretty small. The main interest seems to be in the 5" scale. 1/6 Doctor Who with a likely triple digit price tag could be a tough sell, no matter how good they look.

The safest choices would be the following eras,

4th Doctor ( The most popular Doctor. )
10th Doctor ( The most popular modern Doctor. )
11th Doctor ( The current Doctor. )

After that it becomes a bit more tricky but with CO starting to phone it in with everything but the new Character Building range it could be that more older collectors are looking for another option, one that's more high end than the stuff CO are doing.

The safest choices would be the following eras,

4th Doctor ( The most popular Doctor. )
10th Doctor ( The most popular modern Doctor. )
11th Doctor ( The current Doctor. )

After that it becomes a bit more tricky but with CO starting to phone it in with everything but the new Character Building range it could be that more older collectors are looking for another option, one that's more high end than the stuff CO are doing.

Absolutely, you can't miss with Tom and Tennant, huge fanbases there. I'm sure Matt would also sell well being the current Doc. It's when you get into Hartnell, Troughton etc. as well as companions in general, that I think a high price tag makes those a much tougher sell.

Hi to all Who fans out there

Thank you all very much for your comments and support. Thank you also to those who have signed up on our mailing list and for your suggstions. Please do keep them coming, they are very welcome and helpful.

Whilst BIG Chief are a relatively young company, we are manned by industry veterans with extensive experience working within the licensed character industry. On top of this we are all HUGE fans of Doctor Who and serious collectors of character related product, in particular 1:6 scale figures.

Our enthusiasm and excitement for working on such a prestigious brand is equally huge. We have exciting plans for our range commencing with the release of the 11th Doctor Matt Smith and his companion Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) Q4 this year. Like any business we will evaluate the range as we progress, after all we must remain viable to allow us to release great product. However, we do have plans for products from both the classic series right through to the new series. With the 50th anniversary coming up in 2013, next year will be the perfect time to introduce the first of our classic offerings in the run up to the milestone.

I can also confirm that our products will be high-end and at a quality that we have all have come to expect in this hobby. These are not toys and most certainly not Barbie dolls.

As we progress we will be sharing approved behind the scenes product development images and concepts via our official website and of course on this forum. We welcome your input and value your support and suggestions.

Thank you all once again.

The BIG Chief Development Team

Exactly. The Who fandom don't seem to have such high levels of disposable income as say the Star Wars crowd or the like. I don't think the Weta stuff sold very well did it?

To my mind it seems the Who fandom will only pay so much for stuff and no more.

Exactly. The Who fandom don't seem to have such high levels of disposable income as say the Star Wars crowd or the like. I don't think the Weta stuff sold very well did it?

To my mind it seems the Who fandom will only pay so much for stuff and no more.

Yeah, I don't believe the statues or the CO 12" stuff sold well. I think Who is one of those properties where people just seem to prefer toys to "collectibles."

Deffo up for a high quaility Amy Pond. Also love Sylvester as the 7th Dr (not everyones 1st choice) but he's my favourite

Absolutely, you can't miss with Tom and Tennant, huge fanbases there. I'm sure Matt would also sell well being the current Doc. It's when you get into Hartnell, Troughton etc. as well as companions in general, that I think a high price tag makes those a much tougher sell.

I would hope that any companion characters are chosen with a bit more sense then CO did.....apparently one of the sculptors liked Peri which is hardly a sound marketing strategy.

OK the figure sold out but it was more to do with the fact that people thought the sales dictated whether more companions would be made, ones that a majority of people would like.

The safest choices for Classic era companions are,

1.The Brigadier ( Could be displayed with several different Doctors, is known by fans of both eras and has several different uniform variants for possible rereleases.

A dream set for me would be an "Inferno" themed 2-pack with a regular Brig and a Brigade Leader with a percentage of the proceeds going to Cancer Research. )

2.Leela ( Scantily clad female warrior figures are ALWAYS popular with geeks! )

3.Sarah Jane Smith ( Similar to the Brig in terms of fan recognition and popularity. A "Genesis of the Daleks" or "Hand of Fear " version would be top of my list but I'd probably buy any. )

As far as Nu-Who goes there'd probably be enough intrest in every companion to make them worthwhile.....Donna could even be rereleased as an Ogron :lol

The CO 1:6 stuff never appealed to the adult collectors market because of a few reasons that I can think of (I am sure there are more)

1) Character Choice: Cat Lady? Clockwork Robot? Really?

2) Crappy Bodies

3) They were the equivalent of HASBRO in quality. Who really likes collecting Hasbro 12 inch? Not me anymore.

4) Availability. The 10th Doctor was tough to find and who wants to collect a Doctor Who line with NO DOCTOR?

The CO 1:6 stuff never appealed to the adult collectors market because of a few reasons that I can think of (I am sure there are more)

2) Crappy Bodies

3) They were the equivalent of HASBRO in quality. Who really likes collecting Hasbro 12 inch? Not me anymore.

4) Availability. The 10th Doctor was tough to find and who wants to collect a Doctor Who line with NO DOCTOR?

:exactly:

Character Options haven't a bloody clue when it comes to character choices, if they made Star Wars figures they'd make no Stormtroopers and release 86 variants of Ice Cream Maker Guy instead and then wonder why they warmed pegs for months.

WELCOME TO BIGCHIEFSTUDIOS - I'm sure you'll find this forum to be a great resource for interacting with fans.

2) Crappy Bodies

I agree with you but the Clockwork Robot was actually a great figure. And the other aliens would all decent, although certainly not SSC or HT level.

I think there is definitely room for high end Who collectibles. GI Joe collectors have moved from the cheap toys to higher end collectibles with great success.

Just cancelled all of my gaming pre-orders and got a secondary job overnight to fund this.

I'll wait for prototype pics before I make any judgement if I'm going to buy them, it sounds cool though.

More suggestions,

4th Doctor ( series 12 )

2 headsculpts, 1 with hat & serious expression, 1 without a hat & with a smiling expression.

Both headsculpts should have movable eyes like on HT figures ( or similar )

Full attire from the series including the big overcoat

The following accessories,
Sonic screwdriver
Bag of jelly babies
Hat ( So he can be posed holding it )
Yo-yo
At least 1 set of alternate hands

Leela

Headsculpt & attire based on her debut in "The Face of Evil"

Headsculpt should have movable eyes like HT figures ( or similar )

The following accessories,
Knife
Bow & arrow
Janis thorns
At least 1 set of alternate hands

Last edited:

Tragically being on a limited income like I am I can't be so blase about the price. :(

Or for those of us whose family incomes are, shall we say, erratic...I desperately want to see this business venture happen, but don't know how much I'll be able to contribute toward it.

Still, the fact that a good licensed line is on the way makes me happy.

(If the seller of that 1:6 TARDIS on eBay is from Northern Indiana, get it if you can- his police boxes are lovely, sturdy pieces.)

Re: Dr Who 1:6 Scale and 1:4 scale Collectibles

Very excited about this news! I hope you guys have a good crack at the old Doctors & companions too.

Great to finally see some official high end 1/6 Who in the pipeline!

Re: Dr Who 1:6 Scale and 1:4 scale Collectibles

Long overdue. Can't wait for a Tom Baker and a K9.

gonna say im trying to stick with just star wars but have nearly got all that i want- not many characters left for me to lump down cash

i have got the superman preordered and will get the 89 batman and would be seriuosly interested in who

matt smith dave tennant tom baker, amy sarah jane rose davros
classic master - have to say i would be stumping up cash
~(depending on the finished product~) wonder if they will be pics at sdcc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back