New Doctor Who 1:6 from Big Chief Studios!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that's a cool set up of 1/6 Doc Who figures to smooth over the wait with the BC stuff DVD1 - love et!!!:clap

The TARDIS was ade off the cuff to be honest. My mate was making a guitar during a holiday, and I was developing a computer program that kept coming up against problems. So, I'd go down to his workshops, and chat to sort if clear my head. Well, I just sort of picked up bits if wood and balanced them against each other then.. I pulled a diagram of the TARDIS off the Internet that had an overall height listed, so I divided that by 6 and made the base, then the the 4 pillars, then I routed slots into the pillars so that the three side panels and the the two doors could be slotted into place.
The side panels are on piece of hardboard, with the pattern created by gluing on strips of thinner hardboard, then one final strip that's slightly wider to create the center. The doors were made the same way. Then the panels and doors are slid into the slots on the side pillars.
There is a gap left between the top of the panels and the top of the pillars. That's to allow for the stepping that can be seen, and the sticky outy Police Box signs. Those are all rectangular sections, with the corners cut out, so that they plug in, between the pillars, over the stepping, creating the impression that they are built in.
The first part of the roof is added, then the next, then the final part is sanded down to create the apex, but leave a flat for the lamp.
Once the roof is in place, I created 4 low corner end stops, then 4 smaller ones, to create the stepping of the pillars.
After that, it was just some sanding and painting. The exact color was in the workshop. A few coats of paint, a few stickers, a forced perspective interior, and there it is.
Took about three or four days during any downtime on the computer program, which I eventually got working!

The TARDIS was ade off the cuff to be honest. My mate was making a guitar during a holiday, and I was developing a computer program that kept coming up against problems. So, I'd go down to his workshops, and chat to sort if clear my head. Well, I just sort of picked up bits if wood and balanced them against each other then.. I pulled a diagram of the TARDIS off the Internet that had an overall height listed, so I divided that by 6 and made the base, then the the 4 pillars, then I routed slots into the pillars so that the three side panels and the the two doors could be slotted into place.
The side panels are on piece of hardboard, with the pattern created by gluing on strips of thinner hardboard, then one final strip that's slightly wider to create the center. The doors were made the same way. Then the panels and doors are slid into the slots on the side pillars.
There is a gap left between the top of the panels and the top of the pillars. That's to allow for the stepping that can be seen, and the sticky outy Police Box signs. Those are all rectangular sections, with the corners cut out, so that they plug in, between the pillars, over the stepping, creating the impression that they are built in.
The first part of the roof is added, then the next, then the final part is sanded down to create the apex, but leave a flat for the lamp.
Once the roof is in place, I created 4 low corner end stops, then 4 smaller ones, to create the stepping of the pillars.
After that, it was just some sanding and painting. The exact color was in the workshop. A few coats of paint, a few stickers, a forced perspective interior, and there it is.
Took about three or four days during any downtime on the computer program, which I eventually got working!

You should have filmed this and then stuck it on Youtube! I'd love to see more photos.

I have a few in development pics! They are on an iPhone. I'll upload them at work later and post them.
I am working on a computer generated version. I'm happy with the sizes, but I've devised an 18 piece assembly 'kit'. All parts made from wood, laser cut and assembly only required pegging. I want to build a light system for the inside and a number of forced perspective interiors.

Wow, you're the Gandhi of this thread! I love your posts, they're so chilled!

Thank you, Captain Britain.

I used to be terribly impatient for things to happen when
I was younger, but have learned to be patient, and to
accept things in my life as they come.

This was not an easy thing for me to learn. It took years.

BTW, Captain Britain is a cool name- I remember that he was
the leader of Excaliber, some years back. Very good book!

That TARDIS is amazing, DVD1!! Excellent job!

Right, Ive pulled the pics from the iPhone and found a 5 minute lull in my day hahaha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back