New Doctor Who 1:6 from Big Chief Studios!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Doctor Who 1:6 and 1:4 announcement!

I hope he comes with the fez and stetson!:pray:

I hope he comes with the fez and stetson!:pray:

I doubt it as the sculpted hair would be too big for the hats to fit and be in scale. Unless he comes with switch out hair, or a second headsculpt for the hats like Sideshow Indy.

We are keeping a very close eye on this thread and indeed our facebook page.
THANK YOU ALL AGAIN :)[/QUOTE]

BCS... I've been waiting a very long time for awesome 1/4 PF style Who-vian items.. Dr.'s and Aliens alike! I know your gonna knock my socks off and the semi reveal of the Dr.'s face I think is amazing! Show it all soon! Don't let me down and take my money please...:)

It looks pretty good from that teaser.I dont know if anyone has asked this but are you guys going to be at Comic Con?I would love to see anything you guys might have on display

Not exactly capturing the zeitgeist though is it. Surely a Dalek that is relevant to Matts Doctor makes most sense.
I'm one of the few that liked the Benetton Daleks anyway.

True enough, I'm just concerned that the Classic era is going to get one or two token releases and that'll be it.

The figures of 11, Amy and other Nu-Who characters could be some of the best 1:6 scale releases ever but I still wouldn't buy them because the modern era has no intrest for me.

The 50th Anniversary is just round the corner so with that in mind I think the first 26 year run of the show deserves it's share of attention.

True enough, I'm just concerned that the Classic era is going to get one or two token releases and that'll be it.

The figures of 11, Amy and other Nu-Who characters could be some of the best 1:6 scale releases ever but I still wouldn't buy them because the modern era has no intrest for me.

The 50th Anniversary is just round the corner so with that in mind I think the first 26 year run of the show deserves it's share of attention.

But the punters with the moolah need to be there to buy it. I know classic Who is much under represented in the collectibles dept, but hi-end is a fickle creature, and a Whovian and his/her cash are not easily parted. Just look at the Weta site for proof!

I'd love to see a Baker and Pertwee Doc made, but you can bet that worldwide (and lets face it BCM, for all your loathing of NuWho it is doing rather well the other side of the Amy Pond... sorry, bad pun), that figs of Smith and Tennant will prove more profitable for a new company.

I remember talking to someone a few years ago who had access to 'The Prisoner' license, I asked if a figure of McGoohan might be in the works. He said he would love to, he had people that showed interest, but ultimately it is a cult show, and of the 'lets say' 100,000 enthusiasts world wide, how many do you think move in the kinds of circles that would even know a figure was released. And of the select few that do, how many would be willing t pay £100+ for a doll... not many!

Us collectors and enthusiasts live in a microcosm much of the time, we talk on line about what we want to see made, but when it comes to cold hard business, many of our wants make absolutely no business sense.

I have extremely high hopes for this line, and I'm confident that Big Chief will play it well, and do so hope to get the Baker + Pertwee docs.

I have equal love for classic and Nu-Who with a slight preference to the Nu-Who, so I just want every Doctor and have their boxes line up like HT's Iron Man 2 boxes.

(and lets face it BCM, for all your loathing of NuWho it is doing rather well the other side of the Amy Pond... sorry, bad pun), that figs of Smith and Tennant will prove more profitable for a new company.

I understand the reasons for the focus on Nu-Who and have never denied it's overall popularity.

It is just disappointing because the CO Classic line has gone downhill and I was looking for another Who line to collect but this probably isn't going to be it....if the main focus is going to be Nu-Who then why'd they even bother getting the Classic license in the first place?

Not that I see this line lasting as if characters like Rory & River are made so early on the line will be dead in the water before it's got going and not even the popularity of Nu-Who in the good old USA will save it.

Doctors & the main companions are an easy sell but secondary characters at high end prices represent a big risk no matter what era they're from.

Last edited:

Best we can hope is that the line gets some hefty pre-orders and that people are so knocked out with the product that they come back for more and more. That's the way we'll see the classics made.

The sad (but understandable) problem is that if all the people who just want classic Who don't support the early figures, then I would imagine it would be very doubtful the classics would follow.

The other thing is that when people are shelling out a ton+ on a figure they like some degree of exclusivity or limited numbers. However if they have the demand for 10,000 Matt/Doctors, it would be better to release as 2 or 3 ltd batches with a slight difference, and I don't just mean accessories, but different outfits or variations as well. Completeists will want all 3 and the casual punters can pick their favourite. And if they sell out quickly, well we all know that the secondary market takes no prisoners. Perceived rarity and value is a big asset.

The sad (but understandable) problem is that if all the people who just want classic Who don't support the early figures, then I would imagine it would be very doubtful the classics would follow.

:exactly::goodpost:

I think most real Nu-Who-Only fans are 13-15 year olds and I do not expect a lot of their parents to pay 100+ for a doll.

But why would I pay high end prices for characters I couldn't give a damn about? :cuckoo:

If money was no problem then I could do it but that's not the case so if I'm paying that sort of cash for something I have to be 100% certain I'm going to like it....I don't dislike the 11th Doctor I still wouldn't want to pay high end prices for a figure of him and the only place I'd display figures of Amy, Rory and River is in a garbage bin.

But why would I pay high end prices for characters I couldn't give a damn about? :cuckoo:

If money was no problem then I could do it but that's not the case so if I'm paying that sort of cash for something I have to be 100% certain I'm going to like it....I don't dislike the 11th Doctor I still wouldn't want to pay high end prices for a figure of him and the only place I'd display figures of Amy, Rory and River is in a garbage bin.

Well, I did say "the sad (but understandable) problem is ", so you are right, there is no point in buying something you don't want. I was just pointing out the undeniable flip side to the problem.
But luckily I think most Who fans seem to like both old and new to some degree.

I think most real Nu-Who-Only fans are 13-15 year olds and I do not expect a lot of their parents to pay 100+ for a doll.

I think most Nu-Who-Only fans are Americans, because the Nu-Who has been readily available for viewing in the U.S. since the re-launch, thanks to cable television. In the era in which Classic Who was produced, Americans couldn't see it.

I think they play a big part of the demographic, but I also think you might be surprised at...
A- Their spending power
and
B- 'Genre' television is appealing to much wider audiences these days, we had a new series of the spin off series Torchwood start last night in the UK, and its very much aimed at a young adult/adult audience.

Pop culture and the inner child are much easier to celebrate these days!

I think most Nu-Who-Only fans are Americans, because the Nu-Who has been readily available for viewing in the U.S. since the re-launch, thanks to cable television. In the era in which Classic Who was produced, Americans couldn't see it.

100% agree

I find that a lot of Americans who jumped onboard with Nu-Who have no comprehension that the BBC has at no time had anything close to the vast resources of Hollywood to throw at every production so anything that looks as dodgy as Classic Who often did gets dismissed at a glance soley because it lacks the visual slickness of US productions.

On a recent Classic DVD commentary some figures were let slip about how the budgets per show have changed.

Mid 70's = £2000 per 25 minute episode
Now = £1 million per 45 minute episode

Obviously there's some inflation to be taken into account but even so it's clear from the wealth of info that is known about the original run that the modern era is the only time the BBC has given it a serious budget and when you also factor in the increases in technology over the years it's no real suprise that the modern show looks better.

With Classic Who you have to look past the wobbly sets, dodgy rubber monsters and alien planets that were filmed in the same quarry and try and understand it was a different way of making TV and that stories had to be more dialogue oriented because they couldn't distract the audience's attention with a flashy effects driven sequence the way they do now.

In the current era of "event TV" it's no wonder that Americans have been so enthusiastic about Nu-Who and Torchwood because it's so similar in appearance to shows that originate in the US.

As far as figures go I also think there's a degree of ignorance over how easy ( or not ) it is for people to pay for things. I get the impression that some high end collectors seem to assume that everyone has endless resources to throw at their hobbies so they can support selected lines 100% even if they aren't characters they particularly want and that's just ridiculous.

B- 'Genre' television is appealing to much wider audiences these days, we had a new series of the spin off series Torchwood start last night in the UK, and its very much aimed at a young adult/adult audience.

I've watched it (Hurrah digital television!) and I found it rather interesting, though I think Doctor Who is a little more... aimed for young adults than Torchwood: Miracle Day. I think Torchwood is aimed at age 15-18 whereas Doctor Who is aimed at 16-25. But that's just my opinion.

With Classic Who you have to look past the wobbly sets, dodgy rubber monsters and alien planets that were filmed in the same quarry and try and understand it was a different way of making TV and that stories had to be more dialogue oriented because they couldn't distract the audience's attention with a flashy effects driven sequence the way they do now.

In the current era of "event TV" it's no wonder that Americans have been so enthusiastic about Nu-Who and Torchwood because it's so similar in appearance to shows that originate in the US.
And for some people, its a chore to have to constnantly make ecscuses for the program you are watching just to enjoy it. Most people like to simply sit back and clear thier mind while watching something. And these same crappy effects and wobbly sets continue to take the viewer out of the program. You can explain it all you want, but alot of people today just don't find that enjoyable.

As far as figures go I also think there's a degree of ignorance over how easy ( or not ) it is for people to pay for things. I get the impression that some high end collectors seem to assume that everyone has endless resources to throw at their hobbies so they can support selected lines 100% even if they aren't characters they particularly want and that's just ridiculous.
This is exactly the reason why 11 and 10 will be first.

Im not quite sure why you oppose the release of 10 so much. He is very likely to sell well, and the better the early releases so, the more likely it is that this company will eventually release a classic Doctor or two. Odds are if that ever happens Baker will be first.

Im not quite sure why you oppose the release of 10 so much. He is very likely to sell well

I don't oppose it. I merely have no intrest in buying one, just the same as anything else from the modern era.

I've watched it (Hurrah digital television!) and I found it rather interesting, though I think Doctor Who is a little more... aimed for young adults than Torchwood: Miracle Day. I think Torchwood is aimed at age 15-18 whereas Doctor Who is aimed at 16-25. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah I kind of agree, except I'd say-

Doc Who = 5 to 100 yrs old (prob the biggest pulling power that BBC1 has on Christmas day). Pizza and popcorn has become a staple on Saturday evenings in our house while we sit and watch, my kids are 7 + 10 and me and the wife are a little older.

Torchwood = 15 to 35'ish. Wouldn't let the kids watch it, and I'm not 100% sure I'll last all 10 episodes :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back