New Dark Knight Rises Figures - Mattel.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i disagree with this, ive heard this before where people think he doesnt make his women sexy enough. I think its ridiculous. why do women always have to be sexual objects in movies? A smart, intelligent, sophisticated women is just as sexy as anyone. And to me, thats what Nolan does, he makes his characters (male or female) more like everyday people. Rachel Dawes is a DA, why does she need to look like she wants sex 24 hrs a day? Marion Cotillard in INCEPTION is such a beautiful woman. She doesnt need to walk around like a Megan Fox with her clothes falling off. Most movies make women overly sexy on purpose and i think Nolan takes that down many notches and goes for more sophisticated everyday people. Reminds me more of people from old classic movies. His Selina Kyle i think is definitely based off of old classics actresses, style, fashion, looks.

Whoa... keep your pants on. Did I say "not sexy enough"?

I said he doesn't know what to do with his female characters. They are generally the weakest element in his films.

As far as Inception goes, Marion was very good, but the other one was terrbile. IMO.

And really, Hunnipot, was applauding a rant really necessary? Did I really offend you too?

Last edited:
Rachel Dawes was a strong character but Nolan didn't make his character sexy enough. There have been plenty of lawyer sexy on screen completely covered up who just had a beautiful quality to them and a presence that indicated that sexiness. Look at examples from Law and Order for example like Jill Hennessy or Elisabeth Röhm or Alana De La Garza who were sexy as hell without flashing their tits or eating bananas while waiting for the judge.

Maggie and to a degree Katie were meh, they were simply there to provide a means to an end and if Nolan wanted to he could have made them strong, sexy and empowering characters, unique to their situations with keeping them like objects. Everyday people care about their appearances as well and especially someone who was such an object of affection throughout TDK. I absolutely say that Nolan doesn't make his female characters sexy enough and if it's because he thinks they have to walk around like something out of a teenage boy's spank bank then Nolan doesn't understand sexy. A woman can be plenty sexy fully clothed, sometimes more so than unclothed.

I don't see what exactly makes Rachel Dawes a "strong character". She's better in Begins compared to TDK, sure, but not by much. Then, if you want to get into looks or attractiveness, well the argument ends up being pretty much non-existent. This isn't Sarah Connor or Ripley or Adrien or Pfeiffer Catwoman or Princess Leia we're talking about here. She's essentially a cardboard cut out for morals and preaching.

Hell, after Begins fans were so annoyed with the character they hoped that she'd be killed off. Then look what happened. This was before pics of the film were even released too. Everyone was saying "man, Rachel sucks, I hope the Joker kills her, etc. etc." then when that pic was shown, one of the first ones of the Joker at the party with the knife to her face, it cemented the feeling for everyone that wanted it to be done.

Rachel Dawes is just baggage to these stories, in fact, I sometimes forget she even exists in these films. She's just, there really.

I expect Catwoman to be 10 times better.

So is the role the issue, or is it the actresses chosen?

I think it's both. Not only is the character not attractive, but I think she's poorly written as well. I don't know who's fault it is that she isn't well liked. Either Nolan's or both actresses. I don't think looks have that much to do with it until Maggie came in. People didn't really rag on Katie (though I think a few people mentioned how she looked like a kid) Holmes's looks, rather than her acting. Par that with a weak performance and an unneeded "made up" character and I can see why it's pretty much understood that she stinks.

It would have been better if they went without a female character in Begins and maybe TDK and rather waited to set up Selina Kyle or something. Begins didn't necessarily need that love interest angle for what it was trying to accomplish.

The character itself is fairly useless but a pretty face makes up for the most annoying or useless people. There are actresses in Hollywood who've made a career out of it. You would have read "Rachel is annoying but dayam she is hawt!" all over the place. To me this lends to the Nolan not knowing what to do with this female characters because as an ADA Rachel could have been dynamic, strong and sexy had he wanted her to but that wasn't her role or intention in the grand scheme of things. I mean if you look at Katie Holmes and her acting "talents" especially when the picture people post more than anything is of how cold she is in being rescued by Batman and then Maggie in TDK you see how little care was put into the character as they didn't even bother to try and cast similar looking or even talent wise actresses. She was created to die.

The character itself is fairly useless but a pretty face makes up for the most annoying or useless people. There are actresses in Hollywood who've made a career out of it. You would have read "Rachel is annoying but dayam she is hawt!" all over the place. To me this lends to the Nolan not knowing what to do with this female characters because as an ADA Rachel could have been dynamic, strong and sexy had he wanted her to but that wasn't her role or intention in the grand scheme of things.

Yep, this. If he would have went that route I would have actually cared when she died in TDK instead of counting down the minutes until she was finally off screen.

I don't hate the character, it's not like Rachel Dawes is Jar Jar Binks but she's not memorable, not a good supporting character and doesn't really accomplish anything other than push the story forward (either by pretentious dialogue or, dying). She's a poorly written plot device if anything.

All his women have had great performances.

Memento: Carrie-Anne Moss was awesome! smaller part, but really liked her and she played a key part to story.

The Prestige: the story is more about Bale and Jackman battling each other. I read the book and the females have about the same amount of presence. But Scarlett and Rebecca Hall were both excellent. Smaller roles, but both very good.

Insomnia: Hillary was very very good, but yah she didnt play some sexy police officer. She was just a woman who took her job seriously and tried to be a tough woman in a very mans profession.

Inception: Marion had a wonderful performance, she really jumped out at me, oscar worthy too me. You really felt for her and felt bad for her being so messed up from the dreams. Ellen Page was kind of a nerdy college girl and she was fine. She kind of plays the same person in most of her movies, so i think she did what you expect from her with a very good performance.

You notice a theme going here... not much character for the female roles. Not much screen time either.

Now I'm not talking performance -- Nolan gets great performances out of everyone. I'm talking about the valuation of the female characters in his movies. He just doesn't give them much time.

Now the fact that you like the actresses and their performance is a matter of opinion. The fact that you like their characters again is your opinion. But you can't deny that Nolan hasn't really given us a great female character. Not yet anyway. So one has to wonder why, since he writes a lot of these too, why doesn't he give much gravitas to his females?

True, but since you're using Spielberg, he made male-oriented films in his early days yet still very strong female roles/characterizations. His first feature, Sugerland, even had a central female driving the story.

But hey, I'm not arguing. I think we're now speaking the same language. Point is, Nolan has not given us a really solid female character. Whether he will or not, or can, is the subject of subjective opinion.

How Catwoman is handled might be an indication.

Mattel's Batwing incase this hasnt been posted

400356_10150602167802243_300219787242_9013411_1947337145_n.jpg

BARF!!

Paint it a different color and it looks like something out of Avatard.

Yeah, I know I broke my own rule about posting neg stuff in something I dont care about. But come on, that is ugly. If you showed that to anyone with out telling them what it was, no one would guess Batwing.

The TDK figures were crap too. Especially the Joker.

If you showed that to anyone with out telling them what it was, no one would guess Batwing.

But it's not the Batwing. :monkey3

Yeah it does look like crap and it's also very inaccurate to the movie design.

And really, Hunnipot, was applauding a rant really necessary? Did I really offend you too?

Yes. :lol

No, i'm kidding. You didn't offend me. I don't think his post was directly to you (at least I didn't see it that way) I just agreed with what he was saying about the characters. :)

I see a cop joker there too :lol

Yea that was part of a two pack with TDK movie masters batman as part of the Batman Legacy line. I wish it and Gordan were individual though as I already own the others.

the Bane figure looks great i think!!!, Not sure what you can expect from the smaller figures:dunno

they are what they are...

I agree. I loved the movie masters line for TDK and can't wait to get these too. I love bat signal as well! I hope there's a tumbler or batwing that's a Targt exclusive like the Bat-pod was. That would be pretty awesome.

I saw Gordon in the stores and passed on him. My dad texted me about the cop Joker. This series was fun for when I collected and customized them... But with the HT stuff, this stuff is just not worth collecting anymore. My personal opinion. Maybe if they made a Tumbler and Bat, I would get those and have them all displayed with a Batman next to/on/in them. That'd be pretty cool....

I like the Catwoman and it will be nice to have a collectible of her while waiting for the Hot Toys version. :)

Plus these are fairly cheap right? Like $10 or so?

Back