New BUFFY movie in development (but not TV related)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's another Article, pretty much sums up how I feel about this!!!! :banghead :(

A Joss Whedon-less 'Buffy' movie: Worst idea ever of the year
May 26, 2009, 12:22 AM | by Marc Bernardin

Categories: Buffy, Comic Books, Film, Hell to the no!, I'm Just a Geek, Ninjas, Television, Things That Make Me Die Inside

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the rights holders of Buffy the Vampire Slayer -- which began as the 1992 crapmound film starring Kristy Swanson and was later transformed by writer Joss Whedon into one of the touchstone TV series of the last 25 years -- are planning a remake/relaunch. Now, fans of the Buffyverse have been clamoring for a feature extension ever since the show's end in 2003; and they've made the Whedon-overseen comic books best sellers. Whedon has long been the hand on the wheel of the Buffy franchise, and his cultish fanbase are legion.

That raucous sound you hear is that fanbase currently consulting an engineer to figure out exactly how to support all of the hell they're gonna raise. Because -- get this -- Whedon isn't involved. AT ALL.

According to the news item, the producers aren't against the idea of Whedon's involvement, but they haven't "reached out to him." What's more, this new "film" would have no connection with the TV series, nor would it feature any of the show's robust supporting cast. In other words, they'd be jettisoning everything and everyone that made Buffy work. I swear, sometimes it's as if Hollywood sets out with "failure" plugged right into the GPS.

The only reason that Buffy remains a viable franchise is because of the rabid, happy-to-purchase fanbase. And the only reason that fanbase exists is because of Joss Whedon. (There are actually t-shirts out there with "Joss Whedon is my master now" printed on them.) Why leave all that money on the table simply to make a shoddy Twilight-lite? Because there's no way those fans would turn out if Whedon wasn't involved -- what's more, they'd actively work to undermine it in every way possible.

Clearly, Joss has more Buffy stories to tell. Why not let him? Would you go see this film without Joss Whedon at the helm? Vote in our poll. Sound off in the comments section.

Agree this will most likely be a big pile of poo. I fear it will also make it look as though OUR Buffy was also a big pile of poo and keep new converts from checking out Joss's Buffy and, by extension, Angel. I mean, I saw the FIRST Buffy movie and was so embarrassed for everyone who starred in it that I refused to watch the series. My husband practically MADE me watch the show, for which I am, of course forever grateful and forever changed. But another turkey of a movie will, pardon the expression, drive another nail into the coffin for anyone who might have been thinking about checking out the Buffy we all know and love. :horror

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong. A world of wrong. But I doubt it... :monkey3

Yeaaah!!! Bring back Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry!!!

buffylwu.jpg

:rolleyes:

The more I sit with this issue, the more upset I become. They just can't do this. You cant make something called Buffy and it not star SMG or be based on their characters. How can there be another slayer, at another time that isn't SMG? You know? Did any of that make sense. Well, it doesn't have to, I'm really not in a good place. :confused:

I'm ok, I'll be fine, just need to huff and puff a little.

The more I sit with this issue, the more upset I become. They just can't do this. You cant make something called Buffy and it not star SMG or be based on their characters. How can there be another slayer, at another time that isn't SMG? You know? Did any of that make sense. Well, it doesn't have to, I'm really not in a good place. :confused:

I'm ok, I'll be fine, just need to huff and puff a little.

I know what ya mean Exactly, your sooo Angry but you don't know what to do about it :banghead

What are they thinking!!!!

Darth Snoopy: Okay! But no copping a feel...I'm not that kind of guy. :angelsmil

Fine....*sigh*:D

Exactly...don't know what to do about it. Guess I just need to have a time out. lol.

Ack I had to come and post after BuffyGirl sent me article. The word that describes my feelings would be 'blech'. No Joss, No Buffy, No way.

I'm feeling overwhelmed right now. :eek: :( :lol Too many ideas being thrown around by Hollywood! :horror

They won't progress with this concept. They were just tossing the idea out to the masses to see if the reaction would be "Hey, great idea!", or "What the holy fu*^ are you guys thinking?!"

I think they got their answer. Now watch their idea die.

The only sad part is that they could have come along and offered a crapload of money to Joss to make a great Buffy movie. He may have turned them down, but I'm pretty sure we can all agree that it would have been the classy thing to do.

I'm a new fan but that blows that it wouldn't even have the sidekicks. Thats the reason why I like it.

I'm starting to think that this is all just a ploy to get Joss and the gang on board and it went horribly wrong.

It's because of the damned "Twilight" phenomenon....

Hey, vampires are really BIG business right now. Ka-CHING!!!! Remember the rights to "Buffy"...? We OWN them...!!!!

Boy did Joss sell his idea to the devil back in the day....

I want a Buffy movie to be made so badly but not this way. It will ruin the Buffy image and everything she was.

I normally don't mind reboots. I'm not concerned about a new piece of work somehow "tainting" what came before. BUT...

I'm entirely opposed to this new film for an entirely different reason. If this movie is made (and that's a big IF), it will almost certainly be mediocre AT BEST and then fail to make money. As a result, the chances of a Buffy movie helmed by Whedon coming to fruition will decrease dramatically.

Back