New BUFFY movie in development (but not TV related)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this was posted yet:

https://www.moviehole.net/200919332-head-slams-buffy-movie

Anthony Stewart Head tells USA Weekend that he's one, er, Watcher who won't be Watching the Whedon-less "Buffy" movie that was announced last week.

“I wouldn’t want to see it, no,” Head, best known for his role as Giles on "Buffy", admits. “The Kuzuis didn’t do a great job on the movie the first time around. It was Joss’ script at the age of 19, but they changed a lot of it. They said, ‘Look, we know best and we know how to make this movie,’ and it became quite schlocky and high camp.”

Head recalls the time when he went to audition for the Buffy series because he loved Whedon’s pilot script so much, and his agent advised him to watch the movie to get the tone of the show before his screen test. “So I did and I went, ‘Oh, that’s not it at all.’ I went in and saw Joss and said, ‘I watched the movie last night!’ And he went, ‘Oh. Did ya?’ I just put it out of my mind. The bottom line is if a movie was ever to be made, it should be made with Joss Whedon, whether it’s a retrospective or not. But it would be madness to do it without him. [The Kazuis] have the rights to because they have the rights to the original movie, but it should be interesting to see. It may be a bit like watching a car wreck.”

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. They don't want to trample the existing stuff, which is the only reason anybody would want to see it, so they are going to disregard it? It's not even ten years old yet, and they want to restart it? Does Whedon have anything to say about this?

Dumb, dumb, dumb.:duh

This Hollywood reboot habit has just reached the peak of Mt. Lame.

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about it before, but even if Joss did participate, if they didn't do it through Fox then they couldn't use the TV characters anyway. He's smart for distancing himself from the entire debacle.

Agreed, and if it does fail, perhaps they will seek Joss for a potential movie with the TV cast. IT would actually be a smart move by the studio if such a thing exists anymore.

Agreed, and if it does fail, perhaps they will seek Joss for a potential movie with the TV cast. IT would actually be a smart move by the studio if such a thing exists anymore.

No they should just leave it alone. Nothing good ever comes of these things.

True, but Serenity was a great follow up to Firefly, that being Joss was at the helm all the way such as he would theoretically with Ms. Summers.

The Buffy Series would be a hard act to follow versus 13 episodes of Firefly. There so many memorable ones and to make it bigger and on a grand scale can be done with the right idea in mind. Tough call if Joss had the choice to make it his own....

If Joss did it and the original cast came back - I'd love to see a big budget, big screen Buffy.

And I still think a Jossified Broadway musical would be perfect.

Back