New BUFFY movie in development (but not TV related)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leave it alone i say. joss already ruined the franchise with that awful season 8 comic.:yuck buffy ended for me on the edge of a ruined Sunnydale.

You seriously don't like the comics? I think they are amazing. What didn't you like about them? Or is it that you just aren't much of a comic book person?

True, but Serenity was a great follow up to Firefly, that being Joss was at the helm all the way such as he would theoretically with Ms. Summers.

The Buffy Series would be a hard act to follow versus 13 episodes of Firefly. There so many memorable ones and to make it bigger and on a grand scale can be done with the right idea in mind. Tough call if Joss had the choice to make it his own....

Well Firefly should have never been canceled in the first place. :)

You seriously don't like the comics? I think they are amazing. What didn't you like about them? Or is it that you just aren't much of a comic book person?
ummm... the writing sucks and the artwork blows. the covers are the only saving grace but even those are kinda meh. buffy exploring her lesbian side is a little heavy handed if you ask me. i got nothing against the gay population but Joss seems to have some sort of crusade going to promote homosexuality in all his works for some reason. i don't know. i should have left this one on the shelf.

ummm... the writing sucks and the artwork blows. the covers are the only saving grace but even those are kinda meh. buffy exploring her lesbian side is a little heavy handed if you ask me. i got nothing against the gay population but Joss seems to have some sort of crusade going to promote homosexuality in all his works for some reason. i don't know. i should have left this one on the shelf.

I liked the whole Willow/Tara thing. Loved it actually, they were really a great match. But yeah, it went too far with Buffy, I'm sorry to say.

I still get the comics tho. Picked up my issues today actually. I haven't read past issue 21 so I'm a few behind. But I still have to get them. It's Buffy, and it's new, and so I have to.

NO BUFFY MOVIE!

Comics

The first "episode" or arc introducing Twilight did not meet my admittedly unrealistic expectationss but in retrospect it was a solid, good intro to the different format for the new season--i.e., the more traditional superhero/team versus supervillain thing, the different storytelling with comics. I actually started liking it more with the Batsu episode, tho I admit I am (positively) biased about femslash, because it reminded me more of the television show. Looking back at Buffy through the TV series, similar to how it wasn't so much about Willow out of the blue liking girls as Willow liking Tara who just happened to also be a girl, I found Buffy's sexual experimentation pretty credible given her relationship history of taking lovers rather than mates. I.e., none of them except perhaps for Angel were meant to be permanent--and even then, Angel was never going to work out, either. What I mean is the "experimentation" with Satsu even though she knew and admitted she did not return Satsu's deeper feelings makes sense to me. Plus I thought the writing in that episode was top-notch. Since then, the book's kind of leveled off for me back to the quality of the first arc. The Andrew and sadly the Faith one-shots were throw-aways but I liked the last one with Dawn quite a bit. The next one in July is supposedly a non-Scooby story. Anyway, once I gave up on the expectation of a continuation of the tv show, I've found myself enjoying the steady fix of Buffy stories. The Angel book, on the other hand...

i don't know. i have a history of taking lovers instead of mates but i don't feel the urge to jump into the sack with another guy(not there's anything wrong with that.):D

I didn't buy it either. To me it would be the same if Xander started liking guys. It just doesn't fit with the character. I just don't see why they had to go there with Buffy. Sexuality isn’t something that you just wake up one day and think ‘Oh that would be neat to try for a while’. Well for most people.

I agree that the majority of folks will not act on their varying levels of curiosity, yes, but Buffy as a character is hardly typical. Two of her previous four partners were undead Americans, after all. Plus, as was pointed out by the creative team when the comic came out I guess in preparation of whatever backlash it was going to inevitably create, young adults experiment. They’re expected to. That’s how the fling with Satsu was portrayed in the comic—as an experiment, which is why Willow and Kennedy, who do identify as gay, became protective of Satsu, another self-identified lesbian and part of their tribe so to speak. I thought it was perfectly in character how in the after-glow scene, Buffy’s big concern is how well she performed. Always a competitor, even (or particularly) with her partners.

Now the scenario of Xander doing something similar would strike me as way out of left field. It might be sexist, but ironically because they’ve been over-identified as their gender, women socially have been given more leeway when it comes to sexual identity, if that makes sense. I think that’s why so many straight men are accepting of the concept of HGOGA as long as the girls are good-looking.

Whoever Buffy hooks up next whether male or female, I will not be surprised. I suspect, however, that it will more likely be a he than a she because, as has been pointed out, she is not gay. Fuffy shippers will be disappointed on that one, methinks. I won't. I still think the graphics are dragging the book down with the mediocre/inconsistent quality, but IMO the Dracula/Tokyo gang episode was the best so far and it restored my faith in how entertaining the comic can be if the writing is good enough. It's really interesting how others look at that issue as the final straw to turn them off to it.

if they went that way with Xander I would be put off. its not with in his character at all. Staying true to the characters is what I really liked about the show and kept me tuned in.

I just picked up volume one TPB and read the first 3 issues in it. I am liking it so far, not sure how anyone could hate the writing since to me it feels just like the show, I can picture the characters saying it. I dig the plot so far but it is interesting where they are taking it. I understand some of the complaints about the art work. It is good in some parts but other parts just terrible.

Back