new Anakin/Obi sculpts...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abstractharmony said:
You won't get it!

Then Darren should feel free to continue his offer!! :chew :chew

While I just passed on the offer (too much $$ for an alternate head for me personally), I think it's terrific that he's able to offer such quality work to fellow collectors.

jlcmsu said:
Hunky you did a nice job touching things up. Not sure IMO if you made them better since they where pretty much damn good from the start.

Isn't doing this kind of like plagerism in a way? I mean your taking someone elses work and making a few changes claiming it as your own. Yes, I know you said your not claiming it as your own product, but in fact you are because you've made changes to it(announced you made changes) and are selling it as your resculpt. Which is in fact taking someone elses product and selling it as yours. Honestly, even customizing a piece in a ways is plagerism but not to the degree this is. It's really no different than if I took LOTR and made some changes here and there to match what I wanted to happen then turn around and sell it as my own corrected version of LOTR. I just customized it a little.

They look nice but as I said at the top you already had a good base because of Andy's wonderful sculpts. If he and SS have no problems with this then there is no problem. I really don't care at all but just simply wanted to make a point. I'm not trying to trash your work or be a dick as some may look at it as what they think I'm doing.

That is absolutely ridiculous. Repainting and/or resculpting is what makes it a "custom" and not the original. You bought it, you own it, you have a right to do whatever the f*** you want with it. If someone wants to modify a sculpt and recast it and sell it to others for a marginal profit where is the harm in that? I have so many Sideshow figures I'd love to see improved but lack the time and skills. I'd happily pay for someone else's improvements. Who are you to criticize someone who provides a service to fellow collectors by labeling them a plagiarist? A plagiarist is someone who steals someone elses work and claims it as their own. That's not what he is doing. He is "modifying" someone else's work to make it better for those who want to see some improvements made. He never claimed that the sculpt was his instead of Andy's.

ok guys we've batted this forwards and backwards for a while now, let's move on and play nice :)

Darren

I agree. If you like the idea, then enjoy it, if not, let's not get up in arms about it. What's done is done. For now, can I just say how beautiful they look? Regardless of who made it, that is DEFINITELY Anakin. Wow. I'm still getting goosebumps over how cool it looks!

There is no question who made it, I just don't understand why someone would get all in a tizzy because somebody tweaked the sculpt. Good grief.

Eh, oh well. I just let it slide; I think it's fantastic work but I'll let you all choose for yourselves. I know I'll get one! (if my sorry college budget will let me!)

Well regardless of all the prior "drama", I like the subtle changes in the re-sculpt enough to buy one. I have Vader, but would love to repaint the resculpt as Anakin (I know, blue eyes, not much of a difference, but enough)

HA, what did you change on the Aragorn headsculpt? Im interested to know.

decadentdave said:
There is no question who made it, I just don't understand why someone would get all in a tizzy because somebody tweaked the sculpt. Good grief.

I didn't work myself into a tizzy. :lol I saw a point he made in a post and wanted to kind of expand on it. I really don't give a rats butt honestly what he does, because if SS doesn't care than neither do I honestly. I was bringing it up as a discussion piece nothing more than that. If you go back and read my posts I say several times that I think he did a nice job. Darren wasn't upset by my question and didn't feel I stepped on his toes and AGAIN if you read my posts I do apologize a couple times if I did while asking the question.

So why are you all in a tizzy because of this since Darren is not? I didn't question your work on anything.

Okay, I'll jump in and stir the hornets nest, because I think there is something worth discussing here.

What if someone altered one of your oils, HA?

I like the tweaks, but I'm nervous about toting them around on the same board frequented by the original sculptors. I know it really bugs me when I send someone something I worked hard on, and then they go and change my work. It's not that they don't have a right- they bought it, it's theirs to do with as they please. But it is the tiniest bit rude and even insulting.

Repainting is different because the sculptors here are not responsible for the end product's paintwork. I have often said how much it pleases me to repaint a Sideshow sculpt because I get the sensation of freeing the sculptors amazing work from the shackles of factory paint apps. What you're doing is taking their work and changing it (how very GL of you) :lol

I consider it a courtesy due to these amazing sculptors that we, as fans of their particular work, don't alter their artistry and sell it on the same board that has been used to compliment them and tout their skill at the same time.
I can see you are a skilled sculptor, and I'd much rather see you take the time and effort to sculpt your own original work, instead of ganking someone elses for your own gain. And the moment you start recasting and selling, you've done just that. Just how I feel, and I mean it respectfully from one artist to another.

Having said that, I hope to see some of your work in person at some point. I'm intrigued by your changes.

Customikey said:
Okay, I'll jump in and stir the hornets nest, because I think there is something worth discussing here.

What if someone altered one of your oils, HA?

I like the tweaks, but I'm nervous about toting them around on the same board frequented by the original sculptors. I know it really bugs me when I send someone something I worked hard on, and then they go and change my work. It's not that they don't have a right- they bought it, it's theirs to do with as they please. But it is the tiniest bit rude and even insulting.

Repainting is different because the sculptors here are not responsible for the end product's paintwork. I have often said how much it pleases me to repaint a Sideshow sculpt because I get the sensation of freeing the sculptors amazing work from the shackles of factory paint apps. What you're doing is taking their work and changing it (how very GL of you) :lol

I consider it a courtesy due to these amazing sculptors that we, as fans of their particular work, don't alter their artistry and sell it on the same board that has been used to compliment them and tout their skill at the same time.
I can see you are a skilled sculptor, and I'd much rather see you take the time and effort to sculpt your own original work, instead of ganking someone elses for your own gain. And the moment you start recasting and selling, you've done just that. Just how I feel, and I mean it respectfully from one artist to another.

Having said that, I hope to see some of your work in person at some point. I'm intrigued by your changes.

Mikey exactly what I was trying to say at least and what I felt I was saying but you put it much better.

I agree with every single damn freak in here.....

....Just the thought of those little White Castle burgers with the iddy bitty griddy onions that explode in your mouth like little white falvor crystals.....makes me wanna burn this MotherF'cker down!!

Come on Pookie!! Let's burn this MotherF'cker down!!!!

i see what you're trying to say.. and i appreciate it. Firstly.. I didn't even know any of the sculptors came to this board, I think it's been made more than clear that I couldnt have made these changes without the original sculpts to work from.

I did the first one, my first Anakin, purely for myself. I wanted a different figure on the shelf, I could see things that were not quite hayden... so i tried to change them, my first sculpt (and I'm still learning)

And i got a ton of messages asking me could I do the same custom alterations to theirs. I said no.. because it took me two weeks.

Now I've learned how to mold things, so I can (for the cost of materials) do the sculpt alterations that people are asking me for. I really do see it the same as when you do a repaint for people.

You bring up the interesting point that you're not altering the sculpt, rather you're bringing out the sculpt. And i'd agree with that, but what about the people who painted it, you're painting over their work. You could (partially rightly so in this case) make the point that these are just workers on a factory line, and not 'artists'

but what exactly defines an artist. What if you bought a limited edition figure, that had been painted by an artist... like the prototype figures are. But you (and others) didnt like parts about it, and people asked you to do a repaint for them

I'm betting you'd say yes :)

Also lots of people on here have been changing the clothing on the figures, making adjustments and so on, but these clothes were designed by professionals, so would changing them on request for people on their figures make it wrong? I'd say no... but that's just my opinion, and i'm not forcing it on anyone :)

This is my view on the subject, and I don't think I'll go into it any more, I've pretty much said what I think about it.

You brought up the question about if someone altered my paintings.

If they sold it as Darren Carnall painting, that they had done.... whatever... to, then why would I have a problem with it. I'd already have made the money from the painting when I did the original sale. After that point the piece doesnt belong to me.

If someone changed it, and said "hey... come and buy my new painting... i did this, not Darren Carnall" then I'd be pissed off, and rightly so

but I think it's clear that I'm just making alterations here, and I don't expect everyone to think I've made them better either. It's just my personal opinion, I like the changes.

Other people might come in and say "i think you've made that worse". The original sculptors might say that, and that'd be great. Like i said.. I didnt say I was making their sculpts better, just changing them how i liked it. And a few people liked it too. Not much I can do about that, lol :)

Sorry if I offended anyone by doing my custom pieces, it's the last thing I would have wanted to do, I view all the custom pieces that all the great customizers on this board do as huge compliment to the amazing figures that Sideshow are putting out, figures that a few yearsd ago we as collectors could only have dreamed of :peace

hunky_artist said:
i see what you're trying to say.. and i appreciate it. Firstly.. I didn't even know any of the sculptors came to this board, I think it's been made more than clear that I couldnt have made these changes without the original sculpts to work from.

I did the first one, my first Anakin, purely for myself. I wanted a different figure on the shelf, I could see things that were not quite hayden... so i tried to change them, my first sculpt (and I'm still learning)

And i got a ton of messages asking me could I do the same custom alterations to theirs. I said no.. because it took me two weeks.

Now I've learned how to mold things, so I can (for the cost of materials) do the sculpt alterations that people are asking me for. I really do see it the same as when you do a repaint for people.

You bring up the interesting point that you're not altering the sculpt, rather you're bringing out the sculpt. And i'd agree with that, but what about the people who painted it, you're painting over their work. You could (partially rightly so in this case) make the point that these are just workers on a factory line, and not 'artists'

but what exactly defines an artist. What if you bought a limited edition figure, that had been painted by an artist... like the prototype figures are. But you (and others) didnt like parts about it, and people asked you to do a repaint for them

I'm betting you'd say yes :)

Also lots of people on here have been changing the clothing on the figures, making adjustments and so on, but these clothes were designed by professionals, so would changing them on request for people on their figures make it wrong? I'd say no... but that's just my opinion, and i'm not forcing it on anyone :)

This is my view on the subject, and I don't think I'll go into it any more, I've pretty much said what I think about it.

You brought up the question about if someone altered my paintings.

If they sold it as Darren Carnall painting, that they had done.... whatever... to, then why would I have a problem with it. I'd already have made the money from the painting when I did the original sale. After that point the piece doesnt belong to me.

If someone changed it, and said "hey... come and buy my new painting... i did this, not Darren Carnall" then I'd be pissed off, and rightly so

but I think it's clear that I'm just making alterations here, and I don't expect everyone to think I've made them better either. It's just my personal opinion, I like the changes.

Other people might come in and say "i think you've made that worse". The original sculptors might say that, and that'd be great. Like i said.. I didnt say I was making their sculpts better, just changing them how i liked it. And a few people liked it too. Not much I can do about that, lol :)

Sorry if I offended anyone by doing my custom pieces, it's the last thing I would have wanted to do, I view all the custom pieces that all the great customizers on this board do as huge compliment to the amazing figures that Sideshow are putting out, figures that a few yearsd ago we as collectors could only have dreamed of :peace

My thoughts exactly!! Martha Stewart should of never gone to prison, I mean who was going to take care of her beautiful Chow Chow and the lovable Boston Terrier while she was gone!?!?! :monkey1

050820_MarthaStewart_hsmall.widec.jpg

Back