new Anakin/Obi sculpts...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, unveil the offending piece! And who was it that made you do it anyway?
Hmm, I don't know....maybe...
SATAN?!

Seriously HA, let me repeat my earlier question before the poop hit the fan, any thoughts of modifying one into an AOTC Anakin?

:rotfl :lol :lol :rotfl at all of you lot

ok ok I'll take some pics of Anakin later today, I'm hoping to have my sculpting finished today. Then the scary process of making the mold and praying to whatever gods I don't believe in to not give me any bubbles!

Anzik - I've thought about that, but it would be a lot of changes (i know, i know i've already made a lot of changes, lol) to get it back to the AOTC Ani, maybe something I'll look at when I get some time.

carbo-fation - thanks for mentioning my oil paintings, I often forget thats what I actually do for a living when I'm here getting caught up in all of this :lol Don't worry, I'll keep posting pics of my paintings in my gallery thread, thanks :)

Darren

I cannot wait to see the updated pictures. Makes me want to get a 3rd Obi and two more Anakins so that I could custom them all up. Also, when I finally get outta college and am looking for good original artwork, I have a few ideas where to look first.

I am thinking about getting an Anakin head on a Buck body and throwing my Masterpiece Anakins clothes on it to make a force-ghost Anakin. :D

Damnit Pix, now I'd need a 3rd Anakin head. H_A I hope your paying attention here because I am a sucker for your work.

PS. That IS a good idea Pix.

Memnoch21 said:
Damnit Pix, now I'd need a 3rd Anakin head. H_A I hope your paying attention here because I am a sucker for your work.

PS. That IS a good idea Pix.
Thanks. :duff :chew

Not a problem, but my plan is somewhat different. I want to use one of h_a's heads, an Art S. body, an Anakin robe and maybe the Hasbro Obi-Wan's inner robes distressed. The only thing I don't know about is the belt, which is a problem I'm also having with a Leia I want to do. Anyone able to name something good to use as leather belts?

Here's my first cast from the Anakin mold of the resculpt. I'm still having some trouble with bubbles getting caught in the points of the hair that flick out, but other than that, the cast looks good. The face works really well. with regards to the ends of the hair being lost to the bubbles.....I'm working on it. I've done three so far, not quite there yet, so I'll have to pick up again tomorrow morning. I hope I can get it done with this mold I made, otherwise I'll be ordering some more silicone to do another one (I used the last of it)

(I've (hopefully) fixed the problem I was having with the Obi-Wan mold, and I'll know about that tomorrow when I can take my next test cast (I've done like, 7 casts already... before I realised I had a problem. Eek!) I have a head back on my Obi body which I've started painting too. Lots going on basically

why do I always have to be over ambitious :lol

firstcast.jpg

firstcast2.jpg

firstcast3.jpg

Beautiful! Beautiful! Come to my home pls ~ :D

oh, those chips should be due to air bubble during casting?? I don't know casting but heard that you need to vacuum the air out when doing it to avoid bubbles. I don't really know how to, tho :p

Are you doing full head cast or two part mold?
If its a 2 iece, depending on how quickly your resin cures, you can pour a little in and use a cheap brush to work it in the fine details.

I think my problem, is that I was too ambitious with the sculpt. Especially for the level of experience I have (or don't have would be more accurate)

The face looks fantastic, it's come out as well as I'd hoped, it's jjust the parts of hair that stick out quite a lot, so when upside down with the resin in, they catch any bubbles heading to the top of the mold.

I thought that I might have trouble with this, but kinda hoped I wouldn't, as I didnt want to mess around with molds that would be too complicated for me. I'm still not even sure the cast heads will go back on the neckposts, as the resin seems a lot firmer than the original plastic and the neck doesnt have that 'flex' to it that the originals have.

Like i said... I'm new to this. Sculpting I can do, it's just the technical part of reproducing that sculpt that's causing me problems.

I'm trying to produce a head, that doesnt need a single thing doing to it at the other end, when the collectors get them... but maybe I'm being too ambitious there too, as it's proving to be very difficult to produce a 'perfect' copy.

I think I might need to redo the shape of the bottom pieces of hair though, to remove the bits that dont seem to want to take resin in, no matter what I try.

leave it with me... I'm still trying (I just ordered my second set of silicone and resin..... this is getting expensive now, lol)

mold1.jpg

mold2.jpg

mold3.jpg

so many unusable faulty heads.........

faulty%20casts.jpg

(and no, I won't give out the faulty heads as they either need a lot of work to complete the shape, or they have incomplete or faulty necks. I might do something with them when I'm all done... maybe resculpt them or something)

holy faulty head army batman!

We need less faulty and more painting! hehe jk, no worries once you get this casting thing down it will be smooth sailing. Dont give up!

tell me about it...... these are all the "i'm learning something new" heads, that people usually learn along a period of time of casting.

I'm just doing it all in one go! :lol

I have had the same problems with casting heads and I was using the same method you are with the silicone in the disposable cups and the air bubbles are a nightmare. What I have done lately with some pieces is to make a box out of styrene, put a peg on one of the walls to hold the head in place and make the mold horizontally. Fill it halfway with silcone and let it cure. Once its cured, coat the top of the silicone with vaseline, and then pour more silicone on top to cover the past the back of the head and let that cure.
When you remove them you will have two molds, one for the face and one for the back of the head. Cast each one seperately and you can quickly work the resin into the crevices. Once both halves are cured, epoxy them together. It doesn't work as good as vacuum casting but I think its better than the cup method.

yeah if I was working with a two part cast, then I'd have much less trouble as I'd be able to use a toothpick to get rid of any bubbles caught in the crevices, but I really was trying to cast the head as a single piece

hmm, I'm sure I'll sort it out. Of course by the time I get all this done, I could have just cast the faulty ones and fixed each one by hand. I was just concentrating on getting a perfect single piece cast.

typical me, lol

Back