new Anakin/Obi sculpts...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hunky you did a nice job touching things up. Not sure IMO if you made them better since they where pretty much damn good from the start.

Isn't doing this kind of like plagerism in a way? I mean your taking someone elses work and making a few changes claiming it as your own. Yes, I know you said your not claiming it as your own product, but in fact you are because you've made changes to it(announced you made changes) and are selling it as your resculpt. Which is in fact taking someone elses product and selling it as yours. Honestly, even customizing a piece in a ways is plagerism but not to the degree this is. It's really no different than if I took LOTR and made some changes here and there to match what I wanted to happen then turn around and sell it as my own corrected version of LOTR. I just customized it a little.

They look nice but as I said at the top you already had a good base because of Andy's wonderful sculpts. If he and SS have no problems with this then there is no problem. I really don't care at all but just simply wanted to make a point. I'm not trying to trash your work or be a dick as some may look at it as what they think I'm doing.

I disagree Josh.

Darren just providing a copy of his changes to those who want one. He's not exactly 'passing off' as that would imply a profit transaction. I think that to provide a re-cast for actual cost of the materials & shipping is absolutely fine.

Plus, at the end of the day we've all already bought the SSC Anakin figure anyway, just doing a headswap. Nothing wrong with that.

Now if Darren was to advertise as 'The All New Original Anakin Sculpt' and actually charge for them there may be something in your argument but what he's actually done is say "Hey, here's the changes I made to Andy's sculpt. If you want one, you can have one."

I also don't think that anyone could say that Darren's sculpt doesn't have a look of Hayden that may (or may not) have been missing from the original figure.

Just my 2cents

abstractharmony said:
I disagree Josh.

Darren just providing a copy of his changes to those who want one. He's not exactly 'passing off' as that would imply a profit transaction. I think that to provide a re-cast for actual cost of the materials & shipping is absolutely fine.

Plus, at the end of the day we've all already bought the SSC Anakin figure anyway, just doing a headswap. Nothing wrong with that.

Now if Darren was to advertise as 'The All New Original Anakin Sculpt' and actually charge for them there may be something in your argument but what he's actually done is say "Hey, here's the changes I made to Andy's sculpt. If you want one, you can have one."

I also don't think that anyone could say that Darren's sculpt doesn't have a look of Hayden that may (or may not) have been missing from the original figure.

Just my 2cents
I agree with the above post! ;) Plus I don't see you critizing the other customizers on this board! :rolleyes:

abstractharmony said:

He is providing a copy of his changes to someone elses sculpt for a nominal fee. He is making money on the deal even if it is to offset his cost. I really have no problem with it I'm just simply playing devils advocate. I mean when the Medicom Clones come in I would like someone to change mine into a 501st Clone. So I really don't have a problem just again playing the other side of the fence.

Definition of plagarisim
the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.

abstractharmony said:

Nothing wrong with a headswap. However, this is not the normal situation.

abstractharmony said:

Well, he is advertising by starting this thread, he has said he made changes to someone elses work, and is wanting a fee of some kind in return for the materials. That pretty much fits with what you said. You said it though this is Andy's sculpt. It's not Darren's place to offer replicas of Andy's work it's SS or Andy's depending on who owns the rights to the sculpt.

abstractharmony said:

It looks like Hayden for sure but that's because of Andy's work. The original looked like Hayden IMO as does this one.

jlcmsu said:
Hunky you did a nice job touching things up. Not sure IMO if you made them better since they where pretty much damn good from the start.

Isn't doing this kind of like plagerism in a way? I mean your taking someone elses work and making a few changes claiming it as your own. Yes, I know you said your not claiming it as your own product, but in fact you are because you've made changes to it(announced you made changes) and are selling it as your resculpt. Which is in fact taking someone elses product and selling it as yours. Honestly, even customizing a piece in a ways is plagerism but not to the degree this is. It's really no different than if I took LOTR and made some changes here and there to match what I wanted to happen then turn around and sell it as my own corrected version of LOTR. I just customized it a little.

They look nice but as I said at the top you already had a good base because of Andy's wonderful sculpts. If he and SS have no problems with this then there is no problem. I really don't care at all but just simply wanted to make a point. I'm not trying to trash your work or be a dick as some may look at it as what they think I'm doing.

I believe if you take something and change it 10% you can pass it off as your own. That is the same reason why Lanard was able to rip off so many of the 3 3/4" GIJoe figure parts as their own.

carbo-fation said:
I agree with the above post! ;) Plus I don't see you critizing the other customizers on this board! :rolleyes:

Suprise you agree with somone who doesn't agree with me. :rolleyes: I've made mention in the past when I didn't like other customizations but gotten my ass chewed for saying so. I rarely talk about what I like or don't like as far as those go anymore. People seem to take personally anything I say as an attempt on their person. Which is laughable.

I have ZERO problem with customizing at all but this isn't the same type of customizing that we see. As I said in my last post I want someone to do work on my Medicom Clone to turn it into a 501st.

Come on Josh.its not like the guy will create a multi-million dollar company based on ripping off Sideshows sculpts.:rolleyes:If this guy is then every customizer on this board is also guilty.:D

EVILFACE said:
I believe if you take something and change it 10% you can pass it off as your own. That is the same reason why Lanard was able to rip off so many of the 3 3/4" GIJoe figure parts as their own.

That may be true but I'm not sure what the legal definition would be if someone wanted to do something. Like I said I'm just bringing this up more as discussion not as a way of taking a shot at Darren.

Shai Hulud said:
Come on Josh.its not like the guy will create a multi-million dollar company based on ripping off Sideshows sculpts.:rolleyes:If this guy is then every customizer on this board is also guilty.:D

I'm not saying he will. However, if I tried to take someones work when I was in College and use it as my own for a report. The school COULD have kicked me out because I was trying to pass of someones work as my own. Same thing really.

As I said it's not really the same as customizing because he is making serveral casts and selling them. That IMO is where the trouble lies if there is any trouble mind you. Also AGAIN I have no problem with customizing this is just me bringing up a point to discuss.

I would agree if it were a strait recast of an exclusive item (ie Lukes blaster).. but I think recasting your own customization is OK.

ok guys, settle down, lol

I encourage all opinions here, and I never take any offence. I do oil paintings, that's my trade. I only made changes to the Anakin sculpt because I wanted my own to look different. I could see things that I wanted changing on it, so i made the changes. The same as repainting it, just resculpting it. No biggie.

the main difference here between these heads and people on ebay selling recasts, is that usually they claim the pieces to be their own... I ain't doing that, I respect artists work too much for that (I am one.. i understand), and these changes, would NEVER appear on eBay.... this isn't to be sold as a separate 'Hayden' sculpt, this is just for people like myself who already have BOUGHT the figure and want it changing a bit to have the same thing I do.

nothing more :)

but jlcmsu, I value your opinion, and like you said... when you get your trooped you're going to have that changed too ;) welcome to the 'we change out figures to make them better' club :)

Darren

abstractharmony said:
So, re-painting an existing sculpt is fine but re-sculpting someone else's work (and not in a small way) is wrong?

Man, you be smokin'...

There is a difference in repainting and resculpting yes.

I'm smokin some good stuff. :lol

hunky_artist said:
but jlcmsu, I value your opinion, and like you said... when you get your trooped you're going to have that changed too ;) welcome to the 'we change out figures to make them better' club :)

Darren

I appreciate the fact you're not taking what I said as a personal attack. It in no way bothers me at all since in the end it's not my business. I was just making discussion when I probably should have just left well enough alone. I do apolgize if I stepped on your toes at all.

jlcmsu said:
Suprise you agree with somone who doesn't agree with me. :rolleyes: I've made mention in the past when I didn't like other customizations but gotten my ass chewed for saying so. I rarely talk about what I like or don't like as far as those go anymore. People seem to take personally anything I say as an attempt on their person. Which is laughable.

:lol I agreed with abstractharmony because what you said was just stupid. A person can re-paint but not re-sculpt a piece?? :confused: I am sorry but I completely miss the logic behind your statement!!

carbo-fation said:
:lol I agreed with abstractharmony because what you said was just stupid. A person can re-paint but not re-sculpt a piece?? :confused: I am sorry but I completely miss the logic behind your statement!!

It wasn't the resculpting that I was talking about so much as doing it, recasting it, and selling it. All those together are the problem. If someone wants to resculpt a piece for their own pleasure then that's cool but then to recast it and sell it that borders on plagerism.

I really don't see the problem.
I think it is the same thing as doing a repaint and then selling it. The main point here is not passing the sculpt as your own.
If somebody at SST has a problem with it, they'll certainly let HA know about it. End of story.

hunky_artist said:
we're all allowed to have different opinions. And I embrace that :)

Ditto :D Darren understands I'm not trying to step on his toes nor deny he did a nice job. Just tossing something out there for discussion.

I think hunky_artist is doing the decent thing and providing his customized work to others...

why ?
Because almost everyone wanted a version of his strider resculpt he done.
So a definite bravo from me...

I, for one, would be curious to see what Andy's thoughts are on the matter. Or a SSC VIP. Not that I'm trying to draw attention to the situation (I'm considering buying one from Darren if finances allow), but it'd be nice to have an official "company line" on things like this for future reference.

Back