Netflix to raise price to stream

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pawn Stars comes off so staged, but it a great show.
You're just jealous because you don't have all the knowledge about history, sociology, economics, politics, mathematics, physics, geography, music, pop culture, automotives, jewelry, and collectibles of all types at your fingertips as the big bald fat guy does.

I was just on the one-at-time BluRay and streaming... this essentially doubles my cost. Since having the baby I hardly ever use the streaming (even though I think its cool) so I'll probably drop it and just go with getting movies in the mail.

It's not so much the money, it's the fact that when I do want to stream something, more often than not it's not available. If I could watch what I wanted to, I'd pony up the extra $4-$5, but I'm certainly not going to reward them for providing a half-assed service.

Service is not the same as selection. The reason they don't offer every single movie is because studios want people to buy DVDs because obviously DVDs and Blurays are where the studios make their money.

For $25 a month you can either have virtually limitless access to a catalog of movies or buy 2 movies.

I'll take the bigger catalog.

Just think. The next movie you go out and buy because you're bored of your selection will have covered the increased fee to access of 1000s of films.

Eh we have the streaming only at my place. I'm not too bummed about the movie selection cause there are alot of older movies on Neflix that I haven't seen in years. If I want to watch a newer movie badly enough, I'll rent it on OnDemand/Xfinity.

I have the three movies at a time plus streaming for $24. Splitting the plan means it goes up to $28 for both.

But...dropping streaming means it goes down to $20, so I save $4 a month. Until I'm getting lossless audio and 1080p video over streaming, it's never going to be my main route anyway. And since physical media will still be outpacing streaming for some time to come, I'l drop streaming and feel good about saving a few bucks.

And I'm not in the least surprised that Netflix costs are skyrocketing - the most recent reports said that they were accounting for 30% of all the bandwidth used during the prime time night hours, and that's only with a handful of the percentage of all Netflix users on streaming. The current infrastructure isn't ready to support the amount of traffic we are going to be putting on it within the next 12 months - it should be interesting.

I must be missing something here. I don't see where you can drop the streaming and just get DVD's in the mail. I went to re sub and it doesn't give you the option. You have to pay for the streaming and then add the $7.99 mail option on top of it.

These are the droids you're looking for:
netflix.jpg

But don't change anything until the end of next month, because you won't be able to change back.

From the Netflix CEO:

"Now we offer a choice: Unlimited Streaming for $7.99 a month, Unlimited DVDs for $7.99 a month, or both for $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). We think $7.99 is a terrific value for our unlimited streaming plan and $7.99 a terrific value for our unlimited DVD plan. We hope one, or both, of these plans makes sense for our members and their entertainment needs."

What a load of crap. First they don't offer newly released DVD/bluray movies until a month after they have been out, and now this.

I'm content to pay what I pay, but I hope everyone else cancels and they are forced to lower prices to win you back. :lol

These are the droids you're looking for:
netflix.jpg

But don't change anything until the end of next month, because you won't be able to change back.

Yes, that is what I am looking for but still can't find those options. Streaming is selected and there is no way to un-select it. It then tells me I can add 1 dvd at a time only for $7.99 more. Strange.

Yes, that is what I am looking for but still can't find those options. Streaming is selected and there is no way to un-select it. It then tells me I can add 1 dvd at a time only for $7.99 more. Strange.

When you click on a different option, streaming will be unselected. If not, try a different browser.

When I went to drop streaming, I noticed that the don't have a 3 dvd's at a time option any more without streaming. That means if I drop streaming I have to drop back to 2 dvd's at a time...but I save another 5 bucks. Guess what I'm doing? Yep, rather than pay $4 more a month, I'll be saving $10 a month thanks to their hikes.

When I went to drop streaming, I noticed that the don't have a 3 dvd's at a time option any more without streaming. That means if I drop streaming I have to drop back to 2 dvd's at a time...but I save another 5 bucks. Guess what I'm doing? Yep, rather than pay $4 more a month, I'll be saving $10 a month thanks to their hikes.

Click "Show additional all DVD plans" on the bottom right side of the DVD only plans.

So instead of having customers paying $10 a month, it will cost $16 a month. That means that one third of their customers could quit (they won't lose that many) and they'd still be making $32 a month instead of $30. This decision will make them even more money even if they lose 25-30% of their customers, which won't happen. Financially, this is a brilliant move. I will be canceling my subscription, though--and they won't care because their profits will be on the rise despite my departure.

Heres an interesting article discussing the Netflix price rise: https://gizmodo.com/5820815/dear-netflix-its-time-to-get-your-____-together

While I personally decided to cancel since the streaming selection wasn't great and an extra 72 dollars a year was a bit more than I wanted to pay for the service, I can understand why they had to do it. It's not so much that netflix is gouging the customers but rather the movie companies being greedy.

Well,
this just keeps getting better and better... :gah:

https://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=81709

"Starz Entertainment has ended contract renewal negotiations with Netflix. When the agreement expires on February 28, 2012, Starz will cease to distribute its content on the Netflix streaming platform. This decision is a result of our strategy to protect the premium nature of our brand by preserving the appropriate pricing and packaging of our exclusive and highly valuable content. With our current studio rights and growing original programming presence, the network is in an excellent position to evaluate new opportunities and expand its overall business."

Read more: Starz Ending Streaming Deal with Netflix - ComingSoon.net https://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=81709#ixzz1WjtZEQXs

Back