NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the sales for this line are lagging at retail like NECA says, is offering an obscure chimp like Veska really the way to pump up sales?

This choice is profoundly baffling.

And as for the patch being too big... I think it's fairly close.

Veska_01.jpgView attachment 166531

I will surely be buying multiples of all of these. Here is a side by side comparison of Julius pro and the current pre-approved version. I can't place it but he seems to have been soften up a little. I know it can be because of the angle and lighting, he almost seems like a cartoon version. I like that his eyes are clearly visible, but they remind me of the little gorilla child that spots Taylor during the tribunal scene.

Oops my last comment. Should be six spread across series 4 and 5. We already have the next series confirmed with previous reveals.

I'm not sure we saw anything from wave 5...

Wave Three: Aldo, Caesar and Conquest Gorilla
Wave Four: Veska, Urko and Julius

Wave Three/Four: TV show Gorilla two-pack (a shared convention/retailer exclusive)

At least that is what I'm getting from the pictures. I wonder if they are going to get TRU to be the retailer on this new two-pack since they might be having a hard time unloading the other two pack. As for the convention part of this offering, I'm assuming it's going to be SDCC.

I have to say that I'm VERY disappointed with what was shown at Toy Fair. They revealed only ONE figure that we didn't already know about. And a baffling choice indeed.

I'm not sure we saw anything from wave 5...

Wave Three: Aldo, Caesar and Conquest Gorilla
Wave Four: Veska, Urko and Julius

Wave Three/Four: TV show Gorilla two-pack (a shared convention/retailer exclusive)

At least that is what I'm getting from the pictures. I wonder if they are going to get TRU to be the retailer on this new two-pack since they might be having a hard time unloading the other two pack. As for the convention part of this offering, I'm assuming it's going to be SDCC.

I have to say that I'm VERY disappointed with what was shown at Toy Fair. They revealed only ONE figure that we didn't already know about. And a baffling choice indeed.

Thanks for the corrected list. That does sound likely since you said double packs. I hope it's the same as before and easily accessible for all.

So far the show doesn't seem to be giving off that much of an impact. That's how I sense it so far. Perhaps they leaving more stuff to reveal later in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veska looks good, and I'd be happy to have him but there are SO many other characters I'd love to see made BEFORE this one.
Weird.

Veska looks good, and I'd be happy to have him but there are SO many other characters I'd love to see made BEFORE this one.
Weird.

Is this all that Neca is revealing for Toy Fair? I thought in the past, manufacturers reveal something different each day of the fair? If not in Neca's case I am really disappointed were not getting a "Galen" figure this year.

Is this all that Neca is revealing for Toy Fair? I thought in the past, manufacturers reveal something different each day of the fair? If not in Neca's case I am really disappointed were not getting a "Galen" figure this year.

....Although, I am happy were getting TV show gorillas, and Julius. What episode is Veska from? I fully intend on buying all these figures and am glad the line is still alive. Any word on when series 3 is supposed to come out? I am now hearing it will be March before the Lawgiver is released.

Ramdom slaves would be so easy.
Random guy sculpt. Black hair, black beard.
Random guy sculpt 2. Brown hair, brown long beard.
Random guy sculpt 3. Blonde hair, blonde beard

Random slave woman sculpt. Brown hair
Random slave woman sculpt 2. Blonde hair
Random slave woman sculpt 3. Black hair.

Make a 2 pack consisting of one Slave Man and one Slave Woman. Each with 1 additional swap out head. This will give us a army builder for humans.
The , release a single Man and Woman with the Third sculpts.

A cage accessorie pack would be great in the future. Imagine Julius smoking a cigar infront of a cage with three slaves about to be hosed down by 2 Gorilla Soldiers!

....Although, I am happy were getting TV show gorillas, and Julius. What episode is Veska from?

The character named Veska was played by Woodrow Parfrey in the pilot TV episode "Escape from Tomorrow." The same actor played Dr. Maximus in the original Planet of the Apes.

If the sales for this line are lagging at retail like NECA says, is offering an obscure chimp like Veska really the way to pump up sales?

This choice is profoundly baffling.

And as for the patch being too big... I think it's fairly close.

Although I agree that Veska is an obscure character, I am glad to see the release of a chimp with a unique look. However, with that said, I agree with Protozaius that this was out of place with generating repeat sales. To ensure doubling sales on Veska, they should include an extra head sculpt of Prefect Barlow (played by actor John Hoyt who appeared as the character in two TV episodes). Both Veska and Prefect Barlow had nearly identical outfits.

[

I will surely be buying multiples of all of these. Here is a side by side comparison of Julius pro and the current pre-approved version. I can't place it but he seems to have been soften up a little. I know it can be because of the angle and lighting, he almost seems like a cartoon version. I like that his eyes are clearly visible, but they remind me of the little gorilla child that spots Taylor during the tribunal scene.

It's not the "softness" of the sculpt that's got me, it's that flaming purple! What is up with that? Like the proto's coloring much better....

But it could ll be moot if there is no retailer support for these...we'll never see these figures at the store....dang it.

They should include a Prefect Barlow headsculpt with Veska... at least that would GUARANTEE that we hardcore Ape fans would buy two of this obscure character.

I also prefer the proto Julius to his current version. I am not sure what Neca has planned but like Protozaius states their choices in their releases are quite perplexing. If you do a search on all the vintage comic book covers you would find many humans Neca could give us as stand-ins until they secure any likeness rights for Taylor, Nova, or Brent. The mutants shouldn't be too difficult but yet we are completely dry in that area. I know I am in the minority on this but I don't need everything to be Hollywood or bust. If Neca gave us some generic human savages I would be very happy, at least my gorillas would have a purpose. I truly appreciate what Mego was able to give us 40 years ago, wagons, catapults, rc horses, Forbidden Zone,etc. I can understand that sales are weak right now but when they released a ver.2 Dr. Z with General Ursus it difficult to expect huge sales. An army only needs 1 general yet we are getting 3 within the first six waves. I would much prefer the tribunal judges to Veska, but again, that's just me. I hope Neca is able to save this line and deliver the many awesome things that can come from it.

NECA is depending on very strong sales from Series 3. The strength will mostly come from the Conquest Gorillas where there will be a desire from fans to build an army (with the help of interchanging heads with the soldier apes). As for the other two, I can't see many fans buying more than three or so of each. For Aldo: one to switch with a Conquest Gorilla to make a Conquest Aldo, one to keep as the General and one to keep sealed in the box as a collectible. The same for Ceasar: one to remain as Conquest Ceasar, one to switch heads with Cornelius (which means buy more Cornelius figures if you haven't already) to make a Battle Ceasar or TV Series Galen (but in both cases with glyphs), and one to keep sealed in the box as a collectible.

The third figure (instead of Aldo) should have been the little-seen-onscreen Conquest orangutan. Here you would attract the army builders, as well as orangutan elite builders interchanging heads with two versions of Dr. Zaius.

These figures usually ship 14 to a case at a ratio of 5:4:5. I just hope they make shorter production runs on Ceasar and Aldo and at least three or four times more Conquest Gorillas because if they don't, no matter how many we buy, it will not be enough. Conquest Gorillas will be sold out and they are left with a sizable clearance of Ceasars and Aldos.

Is there a resource online which highlights the differences between the apes seen across the movies and TV series. Particularly all of the chimps played by Roddy McDowall?

It would be great to know exactly what combinations are possible with the figures we know are coming, and what mods they would need to make them accurate.

As far as likeness rights are concerned, thats already been secured for Taylor. the Mego style figure has a very nice headsculpt that only needs shrinking. For some reason they're just being bloody minded over Taylor. who knows.... maybe someone at Neca disagrees with the late Chuck's political views and is making a point by not producing Taylor.... Has no-one ever heard of 'cognitive dissonance' (It means you can disagree with a person's views but like their output in another field)

I know, I, know.... I need to get fitted for a tinfoil hat. but I just want a Taylor badly!

I think the reason why we only saw what we saw at the toy fair this weekend is due to what Neca said about apes on clearance. It was stated series 3 was for sure but not to sure about the future of the apes line. I think Neca wants to see how series 3 is going to do as well as the apes tv series figs which were all on display. I'm thinking if sales don't do well for S3 we might not even get the prototypes made for S4. However I went to a toysrus yesterday and picked up the last 4 gorilla 2 packs! They also had series 1 4 zaius and 1 Cornelius which I didn't pick up

today when randy tweeted a half year plan on his account, he listed out things that were not shown/announce at the toy fair that are due for release this summer. When someone asked how about the apes in the plan, randy replied with theres no certainty with the line at the moment.

I really hope Neca doesn't pull the plug on this line, it's still early on the line hasn't even been out yet for a full year! To me the sales don't seem that and but that's just from what I see at stores and people's love for them online and there collections. Every action figure line suffers with figures that don't sell as quickly as others. The gorilla soldier proved to be a huge success selling out fast! I think Neca just needs to give this line a little more love and as well some humans.

As much as I want this line to go deep, I feel it won't have much legs sooner.

These just aren't making as much noise as predators, aliens, terminator, Pacific rim, to name a few. Everywhere I look it's always these I just mentioned. I'm in Hk and most guys here only want those from the list, whether Neca or hottoys versions. There isn't a large fan base for apes over here. Different culture I guess. I doubt many even know about the previous movies or TV shows either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back