NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another picture of the prototypes and if you notice the Gorilla has a closed hand in this shot, so maybe we will be getting multiple hands with the gorillas?

Also, what ever happened to the Statue of Liberty arm Neca showed? I never saw any pictures of it being at Toy Fair, do you think it will be sold as and environment piece?

Last edited:
Now that NECA is making BOTH Celebrity Simpsons figures AND Planet of the Apes figures the natural crossover figure would be:

simpsonzaius.jpg

Come on NECA... MAKE THIS MONKEY!!!

Last edited:
In an effort to put this thread back on track, I wanted to post some images I found of the prototypes shown at Toy Fair from Michael Crawford review site. I think they are the best I've seen of these figures.

tf2014_neca_33_zps2c494b59.jpg

tf2014_neca_35_zpsc2f6cca5.jpg

tf2014_neca_34_zps14b1ac6d.jpg

Yeah, the Zauis still isn't very good...Cornelius looks okay, maybe a bit too angry looking...all the heads look kind of big for the body though. I've ordered a set but I hope they turn out better.

I'd still take this Zaius over the one Medicom and Hasbro did over ten years ago.

maxresdefault_zps5bd32bf9.jpg

It's amazing to see what a difference a decade has made in this hobby.

But I'll take Sideshow's over this NECA version. And I still wonder what Zaius would have looked like coming from Hot Toys.
Nonetheless, while NECA's likenesses seem ....lacking, they would still make wonderful sculpts to broaden the existing 1:6 lines.

POTA fans thought of you when i read this-

“@fireball13z: @NECA_TOYS not sure if its been asked but 1/4 POTA??” Is love to do a Q scale Gorilla Soldier. We'll see how things go

neca's answer is in bold. 1/4 POTA figs via neca maybe then.

Here's another look at the Gorilla Two Pack from NECA. Glad to keep seeing some sneak peeks. There will be 2 new Sculpts plus new Guns and Human Catcher!

2myxifc.jpg

But I'll take Sideshow's over this NECA version. And I still wonder what Zaius would have looked like coming from Hot Toys.
Nonetheless, while NECA's likenesses seem ....lacking, they would still make wonderful sculpts to broaden the existing 1:6 lines.

Why choose... WHEN YOU CAN OWN BOTH!!!

:fireworks :fireworks :fireworks :fireworks

So... when you say Sideshow I'm assuming you are referring to the 1:4 scale Dr. Zaius? :wink1:

7514_press02-001_zpsd2e8c6a9.jpg

It's FAR superior to the 1:6 scale version. Even the sculptor of BOTH heads Mat Falls said he was more happier with the result.

Too bad you don't collect that scale.

Last edited:
Here's another look at the Gorilla Two Pack from NECA. Glad to keep seeing some sneak peeks. There will be 2 new Sculpts plus new Guns and Human Catcher!

2myxifc.jpg

Looks good.

Hopefully with all of these gorillas, I'll FINALLY get my favorite gorilla rendered in plastic... JULIUS!!!

Would it have killed Hot Toys to make 12" Julius? I mean... how hard would he have been? They could have done the version with the sleeves! Crank out ONE MORE GORILLA before calling it quits.

Oh well... seems too late to b**ch about it now.

Looks good.

Hopefully with all of these gorillas, I'll FINALLY get my favorite gorilla rendered in plastic... JULIUS!!!

Would it have killed Hot Toys to make 12" Julius? I mean... how hard would he have been? They could have done the version with the sleeves! Crank out ONE MORE GORILLA before calling it quits.

Oh well... seems too late to b**ch about it now.
It definitely sucked that Hot Toys didn't even get far with the line. It's completely sad that Planet of the Apes doesn't get enough love to get the damn line finished. I know Sideshow could have made even more characters into 1:6. Even Premium Format style they only made 1 and called it quits. I hope Neca does this line right. Better use the license correctly even though we are not getting 1:6 Apes sadly.

I'd still take this Zaius over the one Medicom and Hasbro did over ten years ago.

maxresdefault_zps5bd32bf9.jpg

It's amazing to see what a difference a decade has made in this hobby.

The Neca version is more detailed but doesn't really look any more like Zaius then the Medicom.

Well, NECA will have two more trys to improve it when they offer him in his signature robe or in his Armageddon outfit he wore in the last moments of Beneath.

For the next time, I would like to see NECA try and sculpt Zaius with his mouth partially open like Sideshow's 1:4 scale Zaius. The good doctor spent a lot of screen time spouting off the virtues of simian life.

Generally speaking though, I think the muzzles on ALL three apes are just a tad too large, proportionally.

Last edited:
I've been trying to stay above the fray with these NECA apes but it is time I share my opinion. I have no problem with the sculpts, to me the gorillas are the weakest of the head sculpts. I would have no problems picking them up even in this smaller scale but for me the deal breaker is...

No Heston, no Nova. Generic humans are fine with me as far as Dodge and Landon and the savage humans. A generic Taylor with no Heston likeness is a deal breaker for me. I can't see myself investing in this line without a proper Heston Taylor likeness.

So, no, I will not be buying any NECA apes at this time. If a good Taylor is made by NECA then I guess I'll be playing catch-up.

I certainly respect your decision to hold back until you see your favorite characters represented.

And, you bring up an interesting point. What humans will we get? I'm assuming we will get a few generic savage humans as well as some key Mutants but what of the ANSA astronauts? As we all know James Franciscus' likeness has been off the table for years. And like I've stated previously in this forum, Sideshow had a Taylor PF (the second and last of the line) ready to go into production (a final prototype was completed by sculptor Mat Falls) but Sideshow could not secure Heston's likeness after his then-recent passing. I guess they thought that since they were able to secure it in the 1:6 scale in FOUR different releases of the character (when Heston was alive) that it wouldn't be a problem for the 1:4 scale. It's strange to think that Heston's estate is now more strict than Heston himself when it comes to his likeness.

So, no Brent and maybe no Taylor... the two MAJOR ANSA astronauts. Without Taylor, will they even bother with Dodge and Landon? In an interview during Toy Fair, a rep for NECA stated that they hold the rights to make figures through the POTA TV series. Maybe Burke and Virdon, then?

Perhaps the only figures we might get in ANSA uniforms will be the Ape-O-Nauts....

Back