NECA - ED-209

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spider Gremlin is a great figure and nothing close to looking cheap. My only problem is that it is a $30 to $45 figure. $50 just seems to high.

Spider Gremlin is a great figure and nothing close to looking cheap. My only problem is that it is a $30 to $45 figure. $50 just seems to high.

I see.

I was just enquiring to see if the Spider Gremlin was cheaply made as well as ED-209.

Kills me when people say it's cheaply made. It's amazing that we're even getting this. Now people want $500 quality at a $60 price point. I'm glad Randy tunes the complainers out.

I received my spider gremlin a few days ago and cheap is the last word I would use to describe him. If your on the fence at all with the spider gremlin IDE say pull the trigger now. He is hollow in some places but I think he still feels sturdy and really has some weight to him.

Let me say again that I'm still counting down the days until ED arrives at my house and I don't really care if he looks cheap as long as he looks badass next to Robocop then it's all good.

I just think people that have him in-hand thought he was going to be more heavier and filled out rather than being hollow.

Also the Spider Gremlin looks great I was just seeing if the people who had him thought he was cheaply made as well.

Kills me when people say it's cheaply made. It's amazing that we're even getting this. Now people want $500 quality at a $60 price point. I'm glad Randy tunes the complainers out.

I like the way you think , i enjoy all the cool stuff we have been getting as of late.

When you actually hold it in your hands you'll see exactly what I mean.

It doesn't LOOK cheap...it FEELS cheap, and is constructed of poor materials. Looks fine. As long as you don't touch it.

I never expected a $500 toy, but this retailed for a hundred here in Japan, and it is NOT a hundred dollar toy quality.

When you actually hold it in your hands you'll see exactly what I mean.

It doesn't LOOK cheap...it FEELS cheap, and is constructed of poor materials. Looks fine. As long as you don't touch it.

I never expected a $500 toy, but this retailed for a hundred here in Japan, and it is NOT a hundred dollar toy quality.

This is disappointing to hear. Being from the UK I'm also looking at a $100 dollar price tag and it sounds like it's going to struggle to justify it.

It's kinda the last item I'd need to round off my 7 inch figure collection, barring Neca revisting the terminator line, but I'm being a lot more selective these days. Don't think I can justify it just to please the completist in me.

Does it seem like there's any reason for it be hollow/cheap? Or is it neca just cutting costs where they can? My marvel select juggernaut cost a third of this price and that's just pure hefty plastic

Can ED-209 be compared to any other NECA product of a similar size and "robotic nature" to compare and determine if a "cheaper plastic and hollow nature" is cutting corners or has always been practiced in the past. I don't know the answer I am just throwing it out there.

Hollow or not, this will be for display purposes. The only time I'll handle this is when I'm putting it next to BD Robocop :D

Most of the robot type figures in my collection are made from a more rigid hollow plastic. I think because it holds it shape better. So I'm not sweating this a bit. He looks fantastic and I'm thrilled to finally have an Enforcement Droid in my collection. :D

Honestly, it's one of the first NECA products I've ever owned, so I can't really compare it to anything else they've done.

The lower legs/feet feel pretty solid. Only drawback of the feet (other than not moving) is that the wire details are a separate piece are glued in, and the end of the wires don't sit flush. So wires that are supposed to be UNDER the feet panels are sticking out further, making it obvious that it's a glued in piece, shattering the "illusion" of functionality.

The plastic on the legs is so thin and brittle at the joints that it feels like it's gonna snap if you move it too much or use force. One of the legs on mine doesn't align perfectly either, but it's really so small you'd have to be super close to notice that.

The "waist" is floppy and doesn't turn 360 degrees because the "arms" obstruct the movement. Like one reviewer said, you can FORCE it around if you want, and I foolishly tried, but all it did was make it looser and floppier and again felt like that plastic was gonna SNAP! The "shoulders" and "elbows" actually move just fine, but the thin plastic wires on the left elbow of my toy were already broken off in the package. Look closely at the guy's pics a few pages back, the guy that posed the arms upside down? The wires were snapped on his too and he didn't seem to notice.

The whole head/body is hollow and when you touch it, you can definitely feel the thinness of the plastic.

The worst part is the actual guns...the "hands." They just feel like the cheapest, hollowest rotocasted pieces. But rotocast is usally vinyl...this is thin brittle plastic. Hard to describe it, but there's no mistaking it when you touch it. Also, there are no directions, so it's not clear that the rocket launcher is supposed to SLIIIIIDE up into position. As it is, when I unboxed mine, the rocket launcher piece was kinda hanging loose from the arm. I managed to get it to stay in all right with the friction of the plastic, but take care with that piece when you open him.

Also, the little "flaps" on the legs, when you ratchet the legs up and down the risers....be super careful cause those look like they'll just break right off, and the legs are aligned very well in the first place! I think they are just glued in. I won't be ratcheting the legs up and down...too fragile. Nor will I rotate the leg and the "knee"....I could feel pieces of plastic flash on poorly aligned legs cracking when I tried to rotate it.

I'm still thrilled that this toy exists. Don't get me wrong. It looks badass standing next to Robo. But I'll certainly be treating it more like a statue than a toy and simply not touching it. I really do think there's gonna be some widespread breakage issues when eager collectors wanna handle this thing and it simple won't stand up to the stress.

I got mine on amazon japan, and there are already some negative reviews there. It's a frustrating toy. It's not a POS but it's no home run. I badly wanted to be able to move this thing around and for it to have some "heft"....but if my choice is the fragile brittle toy that still LOOKS pretty damn decent, or no Ed 209 at all? I'm happy to have this guy on my shelf!!

Cheers for the info Otomofan. :duff

I'm glad there are folks such as yourself, willing to give fellow boardies a proper assessment of things - especially when it's a modestly pricey piece - & for the money, it should be better. I was totally expecting at least portions of this figure to be solid - not hollow, & the build quality to be better. Spewing.. :(

That said - I'm a NECA fan, they do make great stuff. I think improved consistency in their products would go a long way though.

What bothers me is that the dome seems so be comprised of several sections that are sticked together in a rather bad way...

Is that so?
It looks like that to me ob the pics provided here in this thread.

$50 is the perfect price point for this figure.

People are forgetting this is a plastic, action figure-toy. that can be found down the action figure isle in Toys R Us. Remember you are buying an accurate/highly detailed action figure scaled replica of the classic ED-209, for around $50.00 If you're a huge fan of the character/franchise...i'd say it's money well spent, otherwise good luck trying to sculpt this yourself.

I think it's absolutely beautiful. Aside from breakage and major damage, anyone dissapointed by this figure had their hopes set too high.

Erm... no!

We're paying around a 100$ and we won't get it at ToysRUs.
I do't expect HT quality, but solid quality.

Besides, what has been described here was simply an average NECA release.

I remember getting their RoboCop.
I returned it instantly since the paintjob sticked almost every joint, a piston on one leg was already broken in the package and the sculpt of the whole figure is... meh.

The only really satisfying figure I know from NECA is the Crysis 2 NanoSuit.

But I am still looking foward this ED.

$50 is the perfect price point for this figure.

People are forgetting this is a plastic, action figure-toy. that can be found down the action figure isle in Toys R Us. Remember you are buying an accurate/highly detailed action figure scaled replica of the classic ED-209, for around $50.00 If you're a huge fan of the character/franchise...i'd say it's money well spent, otherwise good luck trying to sculpt this yourself.

I think it's absolutely beautiful. Aside from breakage and major damage, anyone dissapointed by this figure had their hopes set too high.
So.. you were expecting it to be hollow & fragile?

Prices are of course relative, depending on what part of the world you're buying from, but this is supposed be pushing past the K-mart aisle category - as far as their marketing was concerned. One got the impression that there was some bulk & heft to the piece, & that the build quality was a little better than what's being reported.

These 'be happy' posts are giving me the s**ts. :lol

Last edited:
I know its a complete different type of item but the Predator 2 Trophy wall was of surprisingly high quality. I kinda expected ED-209 to match that insofar as a figure of a big robot could. Having said that, haven't got mine yet.

Back