Action Figure Neca 1/4th Predator Custom Mod Thread Only

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's never that simple.:lol:lecture

:lecture Most of this will probably turn out to be discussion, whether it's about a mod or not. Not everyone has received their Predator figures and not everyone will mod them on account of how difficult the netting is to deal with. Besides the visor gap fix, we won't be seeing much else, save for a few courageous customizers looking to do a full repaint and such (like encline_designs).
It's not like sprig's post is totally off-topic, as most threads like this also get comments about people's experiences with the figure, which can sometimes relate to modding. Be glad we're still talking about the 1/4 Predator and not the new HT Superman :lol.

@encline_designs: We HAVE to know what kind of netting that is. It's a little big, true, but it looks great! How durable is it?
I was also thinking that a good diamond size would be like that of the HT AVP Predator net suits, since those were a little bigger than the newer HT nets. The only problem is AVP parts are pricey and you'd probably need multiples for full coverage.

:lecture Most of this will probably turn out to be discussion, whether it's about a mod or not. Not everyone has received their Predator figures and not everyone will mod them on account of how difficult the netting is to deal with. Besides the visor gap fix, we won't be seeing much else, save for a few courageous customizers looking to do a full repaint and such (like encline_designs).
It's not like sprig's post is totally off-topic, as most threads like this also get comments about people's experiences with the figure, which can sometimes relate to modding. Be glad we're still talking about the 1/4 Predator and not the new HT Superman :lol.

agreed.:lecture. l thought l would tell the original poster the way things work. whether he likes it or not. because this will go onto just pred discussion and if no one tells him that's what happens, he will not know any better and get upset and have a heart attack.

Great work on the repaint on the bio, Natrix! :) I wouldn't sweat the color difference from the helmet to the armor because they weren't the same color in the film either.

Having watched the film again this weekend your weathering isn't too heavy, in fact from shot to shot in the film his bio gets cleaner or dirtier so yours is spot on depending on the scene. :)

I have an idea for the lenses, rather than trying to cut the lenses out of sunglasses I was thinking of taking some clear document protectors, cut the shape of the eyes out and glue them right over the painted lenses that are already in the figure.

This will give the same glass look as the clear reflective document protectors are going over something that's already black so it'll give me a nice mirrored appearance.

I'll try it and post pics.

I didn't cut out the painted lenses either. I just glued the sun glass film I had over the painted lenses and that worked out fine.

Ahh, I gotcha.

Too bad there isn't a way, at least that I can think of at the moment, to simulate the compound eye look that his lenses have in the film.

Ahh, I gotcha.

Too bad there isn't a way, at least that I can think of at the moment, to simulate the compound eye look that his lenses have in the film.

l think l have something that will work. my dad had a special tape that is mirrored. it is actually a type of metal tape that is flexable like regular tape. it is used for helicopter blades. if l cut that to shape and stick it over the lenses l will then have chrome/mirrored lenses. which would be movie accurate. l might go over to his place tonight and see of he has some left.

That's a cool idea, I was actually referring to the very small grid pattern that is present in his lenses in the film, similar to the eyes of a bee.

I can't think of anything, that would scale properly at least, to simulate that.

That's a cool idea, I was actually referring to the very small grid pattern that is present in his lenses in the film, similar to the eyes of a bee.

I can't think of anything, that would scale properly at least, to simulate that.

oh, you mean the mesh look on the lenses.

predpred.jpg

does anyone know how to make molds. l really want to get into doing that.

example. the soft rubber armour on this pred. you can easily remake the armour in hard resin. l just don't know what products to use. l saw some vides on youtube. you make a solution and use a paint brush and brush it on to the object you want a mold. which would be the soft armour. once it drise you peel it off and you have a rubber copy of the armour. then you poor in some resin into the rubber mold. the guy said it was Smooth Cast 300 resin. then once that drise you pull the rubber mold off and you then have a hard resin armour reproduction. that would be awesome. then you just paint it and find a way to attach it. it would be easy l just dont know where to find that stuff.

example. the soft rubber armour on this pred. you can easily remake the armour in hard resin. l just don't know what products to use. l saw some vides on youtube. you make a solution and use a paint brush and brush it on to the object you want a mold. which would be the soft armour. once it drise you peel it off and you have a rubber copy of the armour. then you poor in some resin into the rubber mold. the guy said it was Smooth Cast 300 resin. then once that drise you pull the rubber mold off and you then have a hard resin armour reproduction. that would be awesome. then you just paint it and find a way to attach it. it would be easy l just dont know where to find that stuff.

Check this website out;

https://www.tapplastics.com/

Their stuff is pricey, but they have good instructional videos, and this will give you a good idea of what technique you're looking for and what materials to search for.

Whew! Well I finally got up the courage to try to fix my bio one last time and I finally got the _____ off and fixed!

When it popped off my stomach sank like I was on a roller coaster, was sweatin' bullets lol...

P1070852.jpg

P1070855.jpg

P1070853.jpg

I'm not sure if I even have to glue it back together, just sticking it back together and back onto the head it all stays pretty tight by itself.

I found this thin metal strips at my old work, I thought that maybe it would come in handy later down the road. This might be a good start to get the visor looking good, what do you guys think? It might be a bit big, but I have never seen anything closer than this.

IMG_0039-1.jpg

IMG_0040-1.jpg

I have a bagged sample product called Knead-A-Mold that us kit builders use if a resin part breaks or we want to cast a duplicate of something real quick.

They are little 1/4 jars like in the picture below(those jars are a bit larger than the ones I have)....they are just samples but it's enough to cast something to try it out. The stuff works great.

Now if you want to get super high tech and play with the big boys, then I can point you in the right direction to someone who does great casting work and may help you out.

So if you want, shoot me a PM with your address and I will send you out a sample so you can try it. And then if you like it, you can order some...it's up too you.

Heres their website if your interested: https://www.townsendatelier.com/store/knead_a_mold.php

Al :) :) :)

BAMWHL-30006jpg.jpg
il_570xN.13475842.jpg

Last edited:
I found this thin metal strips at my old work, I thought that maybe it would come in handy later down the road. This might be a good start to get the visor looking good, what do you guys think? It might be a bit big, but I have never seen anything closer than this.

IMG_0039-1.jpg

IMG_0040-1.jpg

That's got potential, not sure if it will scale right though.

Your on the right track though I think.

That's got potential, not sure if it will scale right though.

Your on the right track though I think.

I am gonna do a test fitting tomorrow to see if it will look alright. I can get more of those sheets if it works. The sheets go to a Xerox Igen 3, they replace them often.

Well I couldn't resist, I did a very crude test and I don't think this will work, the honeycomb pattern is a little big, comments please.

IMG_0042-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah those are far too large, if you can find something like that with a smaller pattern it would work great.

Back