NECA 1/4 scale predator

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: NECA 1/4 Predator

There's ways to shrink and blow up molds; Im not sure how they do it but it's done without sculpting a new thing each time.
just scan the original, scale it up, and send it to a CNC to make a new mold. that's the easiest/most cost-effective way i've seen anyway. could also use 3D printers.

theres no excuse not to get it right, from the start.the netting is just as important as any other part,or detail of the predator to many.i want to see neca take it to the top with this figure.
this figure can really make or break neca,
take them to a higher level, or fall flat .
it's such a great sculpt, to just take shortcuts on and mess it up.
so i say get it right, from the get go.
this is my opinion.

Tankman, I'm curious about the production process. How does a larger scale model of your 2-up get made? It would seem to me that would require making a whole new sculpt, based off your original work. But that would seem to require a sculptor as talented as yourself. How exactly does the sculpt get "blown up" to the larger scale while retaining the similarity to your original sculpt?

:goodpost: Surely making something bigger makes the details less detailed, if you get me. Like what happens when you blow photos up.

It's around 19 or so inches tall. Feels about right next to the Alien. The detail turned out great and the weight and feel give it a nice higher dollar feeling to it. Were working on trying to make sure these will stand and 2 of the 3 stand great but one doesn't. Even though we're using the better factory on these pieces it's still tough trying to make sure the factory does the job the way we want it. I think this figure will be great if the production is anything like this kick but test shot I'm staring at.

actionfigstand.jpg

ActionFigureStandfor16ScaleFigures.jpg

seriously.

i prefer not to use stands that make these collectibles look like cheap toys...........even though this is technically a cheap toy :dunno

i'd prefer not having to buy multiple collectibles because they keep falling over and breaking.

:goodpost: Surely making something bigger makes the details less detailed, if you get me. Like what happens when you blow photos up.

True, but it's not like they are doubling the size. I believe the original two-ups were about 14", so unless the 1/4 scale figure is going to be 28" or taller, it should look fine.

Do you think the 18" Alien looks any less detailed than the smaller version?

True, but it's not like they are doubling the size. I believe the original two-ups were about 14", so unless the 1/4 scale figure is going to be 28" or taller, it should look fine.

Do you think the 18" Alien looks any less detailed than the smaller version?

My alien is still boxed so not had a proper chance to inspect him. Once I get some free space I will open him and put him next to my Predator.

The latest painted pic looks like it has improved netting. I'm not complaining anymore.

The latest painted pic looks like it has improved netting. I'm not complaining anymore.

I think the netting is just tighter, not improved. It's still hexagonal. It does look better, pulled a bit....

See the upper chest area.

That said, the netting looks a lot better on the painted version, so I'm happy with it.

i'd prefer not having to buy multiple collectibles because they keep falling over and breaking.

display cases are your friend.............never had a broken collectible from a drop. Its worth the investment.

display cases are your friend.............never had a broken collectible from a drop. Its worth the investment.

Agreed. Getting some Detolf cases from Ikea and then upgrading to a full-fledged curio cabinet are well worth the money...from a protection and an aesthetic perspective.

yeah i have a bunch of those now. i'm just saying the average NECA collector probably isn't gonna drop $100+ on an acrylic case for their 18" scale figures and it wouldn't kill NECA to provide some stands for them. McFarlane did it, NECA could too if they knew how gravity works.

i dont have room for tons of detolfs and curios and such, so for my 12 in figs, i buy dust free display cases for them since most of em are either made of plastic or rubber. About $25-30 a case is well worth it to me, even if that means i have to keep a figure boxed up until i get another one.

theres no excuse not to get it right, from the start.the netting is just as important as any other part,or detail of the predator to many.i want to see neca take it to the top with this figure.
this figure can really make or break neca,
take them to a higher level, or fall flat .
it's such a great sculpt, to just take shortcuts on and mess it up.
so i say get it right, from the get go.
this is my opinion.

To me the netting isn't as important as other aspects such as proportional accuracy or face shape etc.

And to say that the netting will make or break the figure, which would in turn make or break neca... is a bit extreme!

Whats the odds of this looking as good as the proto? Because it looks fantastic now.

Based on the test shots, paint should be close to 80-90% as good as the proto shots at Toy Fair.

Back