NECA 1/4 scale predator

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: NECA 1/4 Predator

... or they'll just make "stealth" versions of all 3 P1 variants. then "battle damaged" versions of all 3 P1 variants. and so on. i don't think there's ANY chance of a 1/4 scale Elder. no matter what we buy.

maybe it would be different if the Elder was like a stand-alone figure that wasn't part of a series and sold amazingly well because everyone loved that character. but it ain't. we're extremely lucky to be getting it in any scale from this company. i'd rather have it in 1/6 scale, but NECA thinks they're smarter than the fastest-growing collectible market. oh well.

1/6th to heck with that. 1/4th all the way and HT has 1/6th Predator which I bet you own that one. Predator is a must at 19 inches. The bigger the better.

1/6th to heck with that. 1/4th all the way and HT has 1/6th Predator which I bet you own that one. Predator is a must at 19 inches. The bigger the better.
this is the problem at NECA i'm talking about. you guys need to grow some 19 inch balls and give HT some competition.

this is the problem at NECA i'm talking about. you guys need to grow some 19 inch balls and give HT some competition.

Tbh I would like to see this Predator in 1/6 scale. It's a nice balance between big and small figures. Better for displaying too. Those 2 ups NECA showed us looked great. I believe with NECA's superior sculpting they could compete against Hot Toys.

we're extremely lucky to be getting it in any scale from this company.

Pretty much, it's more of a P1 variant than a unique figure and I'm sure that's the reason we're getting it at all. NECA does cool stuff, but I question if we'd get the Elder if it couldn't reuse so much from the P1.

I hope we get predator 2 in 1/4 for sure.

Yes, indeed. But hey, look at HT's Elder sales. By your logic, this semi-unknown character shouldn't have sold well at all. In reality, he's now one of the most sought-after HT figures.

I agree that stealth and battle-damaged versions at 19" wouldn't be a good idea. I certainly wouldn't buy them, and at that scale, you really only need to do the main Preds. Like I said before though, when you look at past sales and design favorites among fans, the Elder is actually a pretty significant addition to the franchise and would probably sell much more than a paint variant. He isn't exactly the same as P1, either.
This conversation could go on and on, but the main idea is: as long as NECA does this P1 correctly, let's encourage them to make more by actually buying them. Not like every other 1/4 piece they dish out. We've got to whisk them off the shelves. If not for Elder, then at least for P2. Because they won't make any more of them (no matter which one) unless this first go is successful.

@greygoose: In terms of sculpting, yes. In terms of paint apps (even if the ones on the 1/4 P1 are awesome, they still won't be up to HT standards), no. In terms of accessories, also a no. 1/4 seems like a safer option for NECA, and it gives them more room for improving the details of the 7" line. It's like when Rodriguez and Antal did the new 'Predators' movie. You can't compete with Arnold Schwarzenegger, so it's much better to go a different route.

It'd be nice if NECA did more in the 12" range, but it seems like the large scale NECA stuff is usual what lingers on shelves for a long time. While there are those of us here who'll collect anything if it's based on a property we love and done to our liking, there's also customers of NECA who have small budgets and tight space. I'm sure many of us collected NECA or McFarlane figures as our first venture into "high end" figures, they're great for young collectors who still live at home, don't have a lot of money, and basically, NECA's really their only option. For those of us who can buy Hot Toys and Sideshow too, we have more options, and I don't think the numbers of us are as large relative to the tightly budgeted collectors, and I don't see NECA gambling too much on large stuff just to cater to some of us. Perhaps if sales of 7" versions do well enough to suggest support for it. The 7" Predators so far have done very well and I think NECA opted to gamble on the 18" P1 because it's a classic, they love it, they want to see it, and they think it'll sell enough. We'll have to speak with our wallets enough if we want to see more large scale stuff in the future.

In no relation to any company I would happily pay alot of money for an ultimate 1/6 figure of Predator 1. If a company used a sculpt that was as good as NECAs and a paint job that is as good as Hot Toys, with lots of accessories I'd be willing to pay hundreds. I know this will never happen but I can dream.

I know many wouldn't buy it but I know a select few would.

Truth.

While making figures in 1:6 that have a lot of fabric in their costumes doesn't work well when it comes to displaying them with the more standard mixed-media figures like Hot Toys (with real cloth), the Predator is a great candidate, and real netting on this version does give him that mixed-media appearance.

I'll say this: I don't have room to display more than 2 or 3 1:4 scale figures, and then that's it. In the same space, I could almost have a whole baseball team's worth of 1:6 Predators.

Ill take a 19 inch or pred over a 12 inch any day... yall got hot toys for that... who cares about space, but the damn thing on a table...f a 12 inch pred

In no relation to any company I would happily pay alot of money for an ultimate 1/6 figure of Predator 1. If a company used a sculpt that was as good as NECAs and a paint job that is as good as Hot Toys, with lots of accessories I'd be willing to pay hundreds. I know this will never happen but I can dream.

I know many wouldn't buy it but I know a select few would.

If you have hundreds to spend, I highly suggest having one of the talented professional customizers repaint and upgrade the 18" figure for you. Plus then you will know you have a one of a kind item.

I can't wait to see a photo of this 19" Predator on someones desk at work.

That will be me. I currently have in my office at work:

18" Neca Alien
Sideshow 1:1 Predator bust
12" McF Alien
12" McF Predator
McF Alien Queen and base
21" Palisades Alien queen
Hot Toys Predator
Hot Toys Alien

And that is just the Alien/Predator stuff...

If you have hundreds to spend, I highly suggest having one of the talented professional customizers repaint and upgrade the 18" figure for you. Plus then you will know you have a one of a kind item.

18" Neca Alien
12" McF Alien
12" McF Predator
McF Alien Queen and base
Hot Toys Predator
Hot Toys Alien

Hope you have good security at work :horror.

How much you looking at? Any links?

18" Neca Alien
12" McF Alien
12" McF Predator
McF Alien Queen and base
Hot Toys Predator
Hot Toys Alien

Your work colleagues must envy you:rock

Yes, indeed. But hey, look at HT's Elder sales. By your logic, this semi-unknown character shouldn't have sold well at all. In reality, he's now one of the most sought-after HT figures.
What this figure goes for now is a little misleading. Don't know what you would consider by selling well, but this Elder sat for a long time on retailer's shelves. Long enough for many of us to get him for well under MSRP. We don't know what the production run was for Elder, but it could have been relatively small in relation to their other figures. The popularity of the figure didn't happen until well after it sold out and people were touting how good it is.

I can't wait to see a photo of this 19" Predator on someones desk at work.

I got it on my desk at work and it rules over all the figures on my desk. I have 3 HT Predators there and the size and detail on this 19 incher make the others want to run and hide. No way would I want this guy 1/6th over 1'4th. The Predator is one of the very best Hollywood monsters ever made and for us not to do him big and bad ass would be really sad. HT had their chance to do the best Predator figure ever in an action figure. Instead they rushed out the sculpt and didn't nail this great monster but that's OK if you're not so picky. I like it a lot but it's not the Predator from the first movie. maybe they'll redo it and I would get it again if the sculpt was done to look like Kevin Peter Hall. We've done many 18inch figures and the Predator has aways been the Holy Grail. Thank God it is coming on his way to fans shelves this spring. We feel like this is by far the best figure we've put out so far and I'm feeling really good about the factory and the work thats been done so far.

I got it on my desk at work and it rules over all the figures on my desk. I have 3 HT Predators there and the size and detail on this 19 incher make the others want to run and hide. No way would I want this guy 1/6th over 1'4th. The Predator is one of the very best Hollywood monsters ever made and for us not to do him big and bad ass would be really sad. HT had their chance to do the best Predator figure ever in an action figure. Instead they rushed out the sculpt and didn't nail this great monster but that's OK if you're not so picky. I like it a lot but it's not the Predator from the first movie. maybe they'll redo it and I would get it again if the sculpt was done to look like Kevin Peter Hall. We've done many 18inch figures and the Predator has aways been the Holy Grail. Thank God it is coming on his way to fans shelves this spring. We feel like this is by far the best figure we've put out so far and I'm feeling really good about the factory and the work thats been done so far.

You seem to repeat yourself every time you come back. If you really worked on this, which I'm starting to wonder myself, give us a tidbit and post some cool shots. We're dying to see them anyway, and it would make a lot of folks happy. Go into some detail about the process you used to create this accurate piece. Comment on some of the things people keep talking about like why the netting is hexagonal instead of diamond. To us, that sounds like a no-brainer why it should be diamond pattern, being that it's just a roll of cheap plastic netting to begin with. But, maybe you've heard a good reason....

I don't understand why you just keep saying it's on your desk with every other figure made and it's the best ever, Hot Toys sucks etc.

Back