NECA 1/4 scale predator

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Neca 1/4 Predator

We're spending more money on this guy and it will have a nice paint job. I've held the prototype in hand and the geek in me went through the roof. Seeing it so big was a dream come true. The net will be really cool. We have a better factory working on this bad boy. I'm so greedy and want P2 and the Elder big like this. As far as the HT figure goes I'd say to the fans just get both even though this figure will stamp the poor skinny HT into a Predator grave and only cost 75 bucks.

Dude, is that a hint? :wave

Also, how big is this thing next to HT? What, twice the size? I'll become sad if it's too big, and then go out and buy one.:panic:

Well Hot Toys is 1/6 sclae and this is 1/4 scale. I think this is around 22" according to prefused. So yeah this will be huge.

If you're wondering about the size, look at the picture again of it next to the 7' figure. They're supposed to be to scale.

Tankman, in terms of paint aps, do you think we should be safe blind-ordering these online? I just ordered all 3 from BBTS, but I'm worried about them arriving with egregious paint problems. I had to go through a bunch of series 2 Preds just to get them with decent eyes.

I'm very excited about these!

You'll be fine because we have a way better factory on it. I think this will be the best figure we've ever made. It's been a 12 year wait for me and I'm so geeked out about it. To hold the resin prototype and know it will be made just made me think to myself I have the best job in the world. This is a dream come true big time.

You'll be fine because we have a way better factory on it. I think this will be the best figure we've ever made. It's been a 12 year wait for me and I'm so geeked out about it. To hold the resin prototype and know it will be made just made me think to myself I have the best job in the world. This is a dream come true big time.

Yep, this is damn cool.

Great job on that sculpt dude. Blows Hot Toys out of the water.

Now...get to work on that Alien3 Alien figure!

PLEASE! I'm begging you! :gah:

hey tankman,will these have the arm and leg straps?
please say they do.so i can sleep tonight.

Awesomeness!

Kyle man, congratulations!
You really deserved to see this one come true. If I had the space I'd order all three, as it is I'll probably go with the open-mouthed variant. Right now I have the alien and the classic facing off on my desk and they look so fantastic together I can only imagine the sheer glory of having the 18" pred next to the 22" alien...

Brilliant work dude, you are the Alien and Predator King!

there are a number of things one needs to address to compete with Hot Toys:

+ Paint Apps
+ Accessories
+ Articulation
+ Build quality
+ Durability
+ Model detail
+ Accuracy

We don't know anything about the above at all other than it fails in the 'Accessories' dept. because you need to have three models for closed, open mouth and mask.

Ridiculous imo.

Pre-ordered the open-mouthed version!
Would love to have the masked one as well, but just can't see where to put two of these monsters!

NECA's work is more accurate ... sculpture first. If it is true that the painting will be improved ... we are facing the most majestic work of NECA. HT's predator is an old story.

+ Paint Apps
+ Accessories
+ Articulation
+ Build quality
+ Durability
+ Model detail
+ Accuracy

We don't know anything about the above at all other than it fails in the 'Accessories' dept. because you need to have three models for closed, open mouth and mask.

Ridiculous imo.
Just a few thoughts on that:

1. I'd say the paint apps should be on par with HT, especially if they are using a better factory.

2. As far as the mutiple versions. Due to the cost of tooling and producing a figure this massive, NECA needs to recoup the money invested and sell as many figures as they can for it to be successful. Unless they produce a 18" Elder, this mold and tooling will be a 1-shot deal (and an expensive one at that). Unfortunately due to the incerased cost of toy production nowadays, things like this are needed to ensure that money is actually made on making these figures, not lost. Plus, i'd rather know I'm getting three versions now and get the ones I want, than buy one and then discover months later they are releasing an even better version with more/different stuff that I like better, like HT seems to do quite often.

3. As far as articulation goes, it has the same POA as the 8" figure; which was the perfect balance between sculpt and articulation. Aside from ball jointed hips, you really couldn't ask for more and end up ruining the great flow of the sculpt.

4. As far as durability is concerned, I've had no problems with any of my NECA 18" scale figures. No plastic bending, breaking or anything like that. Quite a few have been knocked over and were perfectly fine.

5. As far as the detail and accuracy is concerned. This IS the P1 Predator. Unless they got the original suit, cloned it and shrunk it down to 1/4 scale, this is the most accurate Predator figure EVER. The HT one alwasy seemed a little off to me in the face area. This one is dead-on. Unmasked, closed mouth, masked, each head looks so accurate it's scary. And the texture on the skin, armor and other parts are second to none. And this was all on the 8" version. The 1/4 version is bound to be even more detailed and awesome, as the size allows even more details and sculpting work to be plainly seen.

For a Price tag of $80 or so dollars, (or under $300 for all three), this figure is literally a steal. and the size.... almost 2 feet tall. This thing is gonna be massive.

For me though, at the end of the day, disregaurding the accessories, durability, cost and even paint apps, the accuraccy of the sculpting (especially the head) is the deal breaker for me. It makes the HT one look like a knock-off halloween mask. I can't even imagine how it could be out done.

Last edited:

Pre-ordered the open-mouthed version!
Would love to have the masked one as well, but just can't see where to put two of these monsters!

I haven't given any thought to where mine will go nor have I been giving thought to where anything I've been buying for the last 2 years will go! I still have no shelves. I'm simply assuming I'll be able to squeeze it in somewhere. My displays won't be the most aesthetically pleasing but I'd rather have this stuff in my collection displayed badly than not have it at all.

Can't wait for this! Now if ony we could get NECA to make a 1/6 version.

I'd buy that too, ideally it would be proper 1/6 to go against Hot Toys Dutch. The bonus with NECAs one is the removeable backpack to recreate the final fight.

+ Paint Apps
+ Accessories
+ Articulation
+ Build quality
+ Durability
+ Model detail
+ Accuracy

Ridiculous imo.

What's truly ridiculous is the constant whining and comparing to Hot Toys.

These are not in the same scale, so comparing them is ridiculous...imo. :cuckoo:

Just a few thoughts on that:

1. I'd say the paint apps should be on par with HT, especially if they are using a better factory.

2. As far as the mutiple versions. Due to the cost of tooling and producing a figure this massive, NECA needs to recoup the money invested and sell as many figures as they can for it to be successful. Unless they produce a 18" Elder, this mold and tooling will be a 1-shot deal (and an expensive one at that). Unfortunately due to the incerased cost of toy production nowadays, things like this a needed to ensure that money is actually made on making these things, not lost.

3. As far as articulation goes, it has the same POA as the 8" figure; which was the perfect balance between sculpt and articulation. Aside from ball jointed hips, you really couldn't ask for more and end up ruining the great flow of the sculpt.

4. As far as durability is concerned, I've had no problems with any of my NECA 18" scale figures. No plastic bending, breaking or anything like that. Quite a few have been knocked over and were perfectly fine.

5. As far as the detail and accuracy is concerned. This IS the P1 Predator. Unless they got the original suit, cloned it and shrunk it down to 1/4 scale, this is the most accurate Predator figure EVER. The HT one alwasy seemed a little off to me in the face area. This one is dead-on. Unmasked, closed mouth, masked, each head looks so accurate it's scary. And the texture on the skin, armor and other parts are second to none. And this was all on the 8" version. The 1/4 version is bound to be even more detailed and awesome, as the size allows even more details and sculpting work to be plainly seen.

For a Price tag of $80 or so dollars, (or under $300 for all three), this figure is literally a steal. and the size.... almost 2 feet tall. This thing is gonna be massive.

For me though, at the end of the day, disregaurding the accessories, durability, cost and even paint apps, the accuraccy of the sculpting (especially the head) is the deal breaker for me. It makes the HT one look like a knock-off halloween mask. I can't even imagine how it could be out done.

Thanks for your response but we just have to take your word for it.

We need MORE pics of the sculpt then so we can judge ourselves.

Please give us pics, pics and more pics. Surely you have a few made already?

P.S. So the decision not to add accessories was simply to sell as many units as possible? From a business angle i can see that. From a consumer angle it's very off putting indeed. It also shows that you are not so confident in the product and the market. Look at Hot Toys: they include accessories and outsell EVERY pre-order. That decision raises alarm bells for me.

What's truly ridiculous is the constant whining and comparing to Hot Toys.

These are not in the same scale, so comparing them is ridiculous...imo. :cuckoo:

Nope, because I'm considering jumping the HT ship if NECA fills the gap. I don't need a 1/6th Predator AND 1/4th - one will do.

Thanks for your response but we just have to take your word for it.

We need MORE pics of the sculpt then so we can judge ourselves.

Please give us pics, pics and more pics. Surely you have a few made already?

P.S. So the decision not to add accessories was simply to sell as many units as possible? From a business angle i can see that. From a consumer angle it's very off putting indeed. It also shows that you are not so confident in the product and the market. Look at Hot Toys: they include accessories and outsell EVERY pre-order. That decision raises alarm bells for me.

I don't know if some of those questions were directed toward me, but I don't work for NECA. (Although I am available for hiring! :D *wink Wink*). I just assume that is the reason we get the different head versions, it just makes sense, y'know?

Plus, I'm sure the amount of units NECA will make for these will be huge compared to the units HT makes for thiers. So at a $160 or so price point and a relatively limited production run, HT can afford to include more accessories, as they know how many of thier limited units they will sell, and what the actual demand is. Plus, the reuse potential on accessories for them is huge, unlike what NECA faces with this figure

I don't know if some of those questions were directed toward me, but I don't work for NECA. (Although I am available for hiring! :D *wink Wink*). I just assume that is the reason we get the different head versions, it just makes sense, y'know?

WTF dude, it seemed like you knew what you were talking about and working for NECA!

Damn, I'll disregard your post then because I totally disagree with your speculation about the lack of accessories. It may be to do with the price of the unit though.

Back