NECA: 1/4 Batman 1989 Michael Keaton figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome pictures Sallah! I'll check out the video review when I have some time but thanks for those! I hope BBTS gets them in soon.

Great review Sallah, makes me even more excited for Monday. I noticed the figure overall looks a helluva a lot better in hand like when you took it back to the couch than it does in regular still photography. It looks just like the prototype and the leg stance isn't insanely wide.

Are some parts really rubberized though? Are you sure the bits like the chest plate, cowl, belt and gauntlets aren't just really pliable plastic?

Hello, Sallah. Just saw the review. Well done, buddy!

Thanks man!

Great review Sallah, makes me even more excited for Monday. I noticed the figure overall looks a helluva a lot better in hand like when you took it back to the couch than it does in regular still photography. It looks just like the prototype and the leg stance isn't insanely wide.

Are some parts really rubberized though? Are you sure the bits like the chest plate, cowl, belt and gauntlets aren't just really pliable plastic?

Thanks dude! Yeah, it really does look quite great in hand. :yess:

As for the parts... I can't say for sure what material it is- But they feel pretty rubbery to me. Not as soft as the Hot Toys suit though... more on par with a REALLY soft plastic cape maybe? So I guess it might be a super soft plastic, yeah... I am just not sure?

Sallah

Hmm, is it sort of like the scallops on the Hot Toys cowl? That pliable plastic?

I was just curious because in a lot of reviews it looks like those bits are shell like and not really squishy rubber. Yeah, it looks to have some give but I don't know, I can't tell from the videos and pics if it's rubber.

I don't know if you've collected Toy Biz figures from the early 2000s but a lot of their Marvel Legends and Lord Of The Rings figures had actual rubber for the legs, clothes, skirts, capes and stuff. I had a Boromir that melted actually from the rubber material they used. From the looks of this though, it looks like high quality soft plastic.

I guess I'll soon find out!

Thank you very much! Hope you like the vid too! :)

Sallah

Great video! After watching that review I want to order a second one but I don't know if I should. I really want to pose it with his cape spread out. I need to find a place for him to stay like that.

Great pics and review, Sallah. I can honestly say the only thing bothering me about this figure is those lips! They just look odd.

Hmm, is it sort of like the scallops on the Hot Toys cowl? That pliable plastic?

I was just curious because in a lot of reviews it looks like those bits are shell like and not really squishy rubber. Yeah, it looks to have some give but I don't know, I can't tell from the videos and pics if it's rubber.

I don't know if you've collected Toy Biz figures from the early 2000s but a lot of their Marvel Legends and Lord Of The Rings figures had actual rubber for the legs, clothes, skirts, capes and stuff. I had a Boromir that melted actually from the rubber material they used. From the looks of this though, it looks like high quality soft plastic.

I guess I'll soon find out!

I want to say it is a bit softer than the scallops, but not quite at the level of the Toy Biz LOTR stuff. I will double check tonight for ya though... :)

Great video! After watching that review I want to order a second one but I don't know if I should. I really want to pose it with his cape spread out. I need to find a place for him to stay like that.

Thanks man! And give in to those feelings... :) I am getting a second one myself!

Great pics and review, Sallah. I can honestly say the only thing bothering me about this figure is those lips! They just look odd.

Thank you very much! Hopefully, it is just pics that are making it look strange for you... I think he looks great in hand!

Sallah

Yeah, I'm getting a second one for sure. One to mess around with and another to display in the winged pose.

And I noticed in the video that your son is getting one? There's no way he's just going to stand it up and display. Back when I was a kid, this is the sort of detailed figure that I only dreamed of (Hot Toys too, even though that's more like a doll). Not even the Kenner figures (Crime Attack or 15" ultimate) could amount to that vision in my head. I can't even imagine what my 10-13 year old self would do if something like this were available to me. I might not "play with it" per se but I definitely couldn't put it down.

That's going to be a great gift for him. The nice thing is, this figure isn't some crazy priced high end item like the Hot Toys version, but it's also not some chintzy Mattel thing either. It seems like quality and it holds it's poses quite well. The only things that look sort of cheap is the Catherdral grapple and the belt holster for the gun. I'm also not sure how I feel about that plastic fishing line as opposed to actual wire or black thread. Those things will probably stay in the box for me. I'm loving that foldable Batarang and spear gun though.

I want to say it is a bit softer than the scallops, but not quite at the level of the Toy Biz LOTR stuff. I will double check tonight for ya though... :)

Thanks man! And give in to those feelings... :) I am getting a second one myself!

Thank you very much! Hopefully, it is just pics that are making it look strange for you... I think he looks great in hand!

Sallah

nice review, subscribed
btw, love the couch discussion with your son, would love to be able to do that with my son when he gets older

Who's got the best deal on this guy? I know shipping is a lot due to the size but he just looks amazing and thanks to @Sallah, I need this lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I couldn't sleep last night... So I finished up our review of this guy! :)

I'm mostly a lurker here but wanted to say nice review. After watching it I've been checking out some of your Kenner Bats reviews and getting a kick out of them. Having your kids participate is a nice break from most other reviews out there. And their enthusiasm for this stuff is adorable.

If I may make a request? The Toybiz Batwing was my absolute favorite toy at the time so I'd love to see you give it a look. Never had the Kenner one so that one would be cool too, eventually.

View attachment 70183

I repainted his face and eyes. Also black-washed the bat symbol and belt. :) Working on modding the 1/4 West batman too. That one's gonna take me a while, but I'll post pics once he's done :wave

Using my iPhone :slap

They're not that bad.

attachment.jpg

attachment-1.jpg

That looks really good. What exactly did you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot, DiFabio for properly posting those thumbnails :yess:

I repainted the face. Used acrylic paint (flesh, black, red, white) to add more depth and natural tone to the face. Then I repainted the eyes to make him look less cross-eyed. I also repainted the whites of his eyes so they look darker overall.

Then I black-washed the bat symbol and belt. Then steamed the head to shape the scalloped portion of the cowl to the body so they don't pop up. And lastly, I steamed the cape and reshaped it while it was hot so it'd fall more naturally.

The Adam West BM is gonna take me a while since he's going to need extensive mods if I'm going to display him with my EB and HT figures. I've got some ideas for him, but it will take me a little while to finish what I've got in mind.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, jye4ever for properly posting those thumbnails :yess:

I repainted the face. Used acrylic paint (flesh, black, red, white) to add more depth and natural tone to the face. Then I repainted the eyes to make him look less cross-eyed. I also repainted the whites of his eyes so they look darker overall.

Then I black-washed the bat symbol and belt. Then steamed the head to shape the scalloped portion of the cowl to the body so they don't pop up. And lastly, I steamed the cape and reshaped it while it was hot so it'd fall more naturally.

The Adam West BM is gonna take me a while since he's going to need extensive mods if I'm going to display him with my EB and HT figures. I've got some ideas for him, but it will take me a little while to finish what I've got in mind.

Fantastic job, Saigon. Your Keaton Batman looks like a $500 figure now! :clap

Back