NECA: 1/4 Batman 1989 Michael Keaton figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well generally with a huge scale one would hope for increased realism. However paintwise I don't see increased realism - talking about faces and skin generally - all I see is less slop and more neatness than you get on NECAs 7" figures. For me I don't think thats enough for a figure at 1:4 scale. Personally I think I'd stick to NECA 7" to still get their incredible sculpts and high-end figures of 1:6 and 1:4 for ultimately more realistic treatment. I make exception for their creatures like Predators and Alien...and I may buy Dutch depending on what he comes out like. (NECA announced a 1:4 scale Dutch I believe)

i know what you mean...same reasons im not very overly excited at this point for these guys. Keaton bats face looks like John Belushi to me and cap like a dead eyed Vin diesel. the other reason being i just don't have the room for lots of 1/4 stuff :lol

having seen cap in person and owning the masked city hunter pred i can say for a fact every issue their smaller scale figures suffer from are also present and accounted for with their larger format figures. cap has paint rub issues, the pred has/had some major stuck joints and parts that just do not fit properly when assembling it out of package...namely the shoulder canon

Neca really is just going for "affordable" larger scale.

don't expect these things to be in the same league as higher end 1/4 stuff and you wont be disappointed with them. what you do get is great for what you are paying for...but if you want super articulated QC free action figures, don't look for that here.

Well generally with a huge scale one would hope for increased realism. However paintwise I don't see increased realism - talking about faces and skin generally - all I see is less slop and more neatness than you get on NECAs 7" figures. For me I don't think thats enough for a figure at 1:4 scale. Personally I think I'd stick to NECA 7" to still get their incredible sculpts and high-end figures of 1:6 and 1:4 for ultimately more realistic treatment. I make exception for their creatures like Predators and Alien...and I may buy Dutch depending on what he comes out like. (NECA announced a 1:4 scale Dutch I believe)

Looking at their Gollum 1/4 figure, I think NECA's giving more realistic flesh tones when doing so on a full face and body, but with Batman and Captain America, for such a small area I think they're backing off.

I personally don't hold any standard to scale. Lifelike can be done in any scale with the right skill, and you can have just as nice a pieces in any scale. My 1/4 scale HCG and Sideshow Rambos are clearly statues and could never be passed off as a photo of a real person, but my Enterbay 1/4 scale Rambo could. It's a scale to keep away from for space, but certainly photo-realism isn't necessary for all. With this Batman, I would say it could easily stand up with your BD T-800 from Enterbay and look like they belong together, you won't see joints depending on cape and body pose, and with him essentially wearing a suit with little skin showing, the small area that does show, from most display viewing distances, won't stand out as being cheap, you'll just see Keaton Batman.

Yeah, it's a great deal and looks great. Even close up he looks really good especially the West Bat. Then again, gotta wait for production paint to see.

*pics*

Looks like there's a cut joint high on the thigh, covered mostly by armor, should hide the joint well but add articulation.

I know being a figure, more articulation the better, but Keaton himself was limited.

Best part of this figure is, no rubber so less risk of problems long term.
Keaton might of been limited, but he could still move his legs :lol :wink1:

if there is a joint at the thigh, I hope the undies are soft plastic like they used on their Gears of War 3 figures. Covers up the joint but still allows the legs and other joints to move. If it's like that, I'd gladly buy it.

With this Batman, I would say it could easily stand up with your BD T-800 from Enterbay and look like they belong together, you won't see joints depending on cape and body pose, and with him essentially wearing a suit with little skin showing, the small area that does show, from most display viewing distances, won't stand out as being cheap, you'll just see Keaton Batman.

:goodpost:

Big price shake-up here.

Gonna make people ask themselves: how does NECA give us this for $85 while Sideshow continues to give us multiple reused armored troopers at 1/6 for $150?

Neca really is just going for "affordable" larger scale.

That right there is probably the primary objective of theirs, you're right. They'll only make it as 'realistic' as can be afforded at the price-points they're setting and they are specifically aiming them at buyers who wish to spend no more than that. Thus it is what it is.

With this Batman, I would say it could easily stand up with your BD T-800 from Enterbay and look like they belong together, you won't see joints depending on cape and body pose, and with him essentially wearing a suit with little skin showing, the small area that does show, from most display viewing distances, won't stand out as being cheap, you'll just see Keaton Batman.

Really though this is probably a rare case of a low-end 'human' figure where this can be so because of how little skin is on show and because the black batsuit naturally looks less kiddy and toylike than the Captain America suit.

Again though their creatures like the P1 are actually rather passable standing next to the Enterbay BD T-800. At least I say this now while there is no high-end action figure equivalent yet.

Neca's stuff has always been on the cheaper side of things. I expected this to be that much as soon as I saw it.

Re: 1/4 NECA Batman 1989 Keaton

Oh man that really looks great. I had to do a bit of a rush job to get this guy into the show. I'll go back and tweek it out and this helps a lot. Sometimes it's just a small part here and there that make a difference.

Tankman: great work on the figure brother, After the tweaks DiFabio suggested, it'll be perfect.

(By the way, love every single figure you've ever sculpted. You've got great dedication for film-accuracy)

Will NECA ever make a 7 inch version of this, eg. like Robocop and Scarface (both were released as 18inch first)? We've all waited years for a 7 inch Michael Keaton Batman.

Please put in a request for all of us :) Many thanks.

Last edited:
Man, those pics from cooltoyreview are even better. That Keaton likeness is dead on. Just as good as Hot Toys. Great job Tankman and NECA. You guys are killing it.

The sculpt is pretty damn great and thankfully, it won't have PERS eyes or a panel in the back of it's head. July/August can't come soon enough.

Definitely too long in the middle of the face but other than that a stellar looking figure.

Yep, that's the only thing, the only nitpick. Fix that and it's perfect.

My last ones now that we got better shots of this guy from ctr, I promise.

89batmannecarevised2copy.jpg

89batmanrevised.jpg

BatmanNECA.jpg

Last edited:

Not me, i'd like to own a collectible of this character again but, this time bring more of a presence to my collection.

If they decided to do 7'' figures, i would be a sucker and buy them but, would really want atleast a batmobile to go with the 89 Batman.

I was looking through NECA's twitter and it seems like a lot of collectors have been asking them if they'll do a 7" Keaton '89 Batman figure. Their answer of course was "no".

Personally, I'd love to see a 7" Batman '89 figure. I have the '89 Batman Kubricks from a few years back that are 2" tall. Numerous 5" Batman figures from Kenner's Dark Knight Collection like Shadow Wing and Crime Attack and of course the 12" Hot Toys DX 09.

With this 18" 1/4 Batman, a 7" version seems like a no brainer. I'd buy one. NECA's trying to work on this one, I don't think they'd say, "yeah, we're doing a 7" figure too". There are probably people that would pass on the 1/4 for it. It might also be a license thing. I think gradually as the years go on, we'll see them put out a 7" '89 Batman on a blister in their reel toys figure line.

Same thing happened with Robocop. The 18" one came out years ago, then recently we got the 7" version that was scaled down. I'm sure Batman will happen some day, especially considering he has two accessories. He also has variation potential, i.e. battle damaged and we know how NECA likes their battle damage tools.

I know for the past 5 or 6 years people have been clamoring for a Mattel Movie Masters '89 Batman and Mattel has repeatedly stated that they have "no plans, maybe someday". But with all this Keaton Batman collectibles popping up and Mattel doing the 66' show, I can see them trying to jump in now. I know for a fact that a NECA 7" Batman '89 (this scaled down) would blow away any thing Mattel put out for the same exact price. NECA's got better paint apps, sculpts and accessories to boot.

EDIT:

Speaking of tooling, 7" figures and Robocop, in addition to reuse ideas for their Batman sculpt this comes to mind,

robocopnightfightermain.jpg

necakenner.jpg

NECA's got a thing for nostalgia and Kenner, they could easily put out Batman figures with this sculpt and make another little nod/homage to Kenner with repaints/retools like these, especially as exclusives.

ironwinchbatman.jpg

brucewayne(br).jpg

Last edited:
Ordered this one for a early b-day present .It be bad *** if can use the cape with some poles in it like hot toys figure. Hope he comes with a bunch of wonderful toys or grapelling hook and batarangs.

Difabio that would make perfect sense and those variants would be interesting and would definitely sell a bit better compared to the zillion Night Fighter RoboCops at my local TRU's which have now been discounted.

Back