My Yavin Luke review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this figure, I'm quite happy with it as it is, but I do recognize the shortcomings some of your are pointing out and even agree with some, but I have a feeling this figure was rolled out a bit faster than most which could account for things like recycled shirt patterns and boots and non-typical paint apps. I'm not concerned that it's a sign of problems at Sideshow, I think this was a case of expedited production (for whatever reason) in order to have the figure ready by CIV. Plo was delayed, Faramir was delayed, Boussh has been delayed, things seem backed up so my gut says this is an isolated case of putting in a figure with a must-meet deadline in the mix with figures in production since last summer/fall that are falling behind.

Michael Crawford said:
I wasn't able to attend Celebration, but I did snag a few of the exclusives, thanks in part to helpful companies like Sideshow that allow you to get non-attendee figures. The Yavin Luke isn't quite up to the level of the rest of the series, with some paint issues and a bit of a tough price to swallow considering what you're getting in the box. But if you're a completist - or a Luke freak - then you'll want to check him out. You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael
MWC

I think you need to put a warning before your reviews: "THIS REVIEW IS BIASED" cause you are Sideshow's beeyotch. This figure's a 3? Please...

Collector Freak said:
I think you need to put a warning before your reviews: "THIS REVIEW IS BIASED" cause you are Sideshow's beeyotch. This figure's a 3? Please...

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

MaulFan said:
I like this figure, I'm quite happy with it as it is, but I do recognize the shortcomings some of your are pointing out and even agree with some, but I have a feeling this figure was rolled out a bit faster than most which could account for things like recycled shirt patterns and boots and non-typical paint apps. I'm not concerned that it's a sign of problems at Sideshow, I think this was a case of expedited production (for whatever reason) in order to have the figure ready by CIV. Plo was delayed, Faramir was delayed, Boussh has been delayed, things seem backed up so my gut says this is an isolated case of putting in a figure with a must-meet deadline in the mix with figures in production since last summer/fall that are falling behind.

I think you hit some nails on the had there MaulFan...
Look at last summer's SDCC exclusive...it was a repaint of an existing figure (that I really liked BTW) and I think the focus was to get something appropriate on the fasttrack for the 30th Anniversary/ClV event.

A little bit of recycling, a less elaborate box...it's just an exclusive for a show.
While the stream of critics here have a valid point of view to offer, I think the Yavin Luke fit the bill quite nicely for what it was intended...

At least the exclusive for SDCC this year is something completely original, which should quiet those who can't stand the thought of a little recycling in their figures...the walking chair and holo-Sidious looks pretty cool.

As for the figure delays...can't speak for Faramir (didn't see him) but Plo Koon, Boussh Leia and Assaj Ventress look well worth the wait. Plo looked like some adjustments were made from the proto we saw and Leia's outfit looks much sharper and more detailed the early shots show. And Assaj looks much more dynamic and intense "in person"...

I really really really didn't agree with this review.. not to knock anything off of you michael.. just I would have scored lower.. just my opinion I geuss.

While the figure's flaws have been well documented, Michael's photography is the most flattering yet. It makes me feel better about owning it (not that I felt that bad in the first place - but all that negativity can play on your mind).

I think Michael's review was fair and well thought out, although I didn't really agree with it and would've scored the figure lower.

Still it's the first review of his I've ever read that I've disagreed with, so I still can't really knock him, I think he's pretty fair.

Just a little too fair in this case:lol

Last edited:
I'll be receiving the figure Monday so I'll make a final judgement once I have it in hand and posed along with every other SW 12" offering.

I agree completely with Maulfan and Jedibear--- it's a convention exclusive that was probably hurried to get out for a very specific date. According to the 1/6 figs that we should have coming out over the summer the future looks very bright indeed for the SS SW 12" line.

Another point I didn't mention in my previous post, that last shot of Luke in Michael's review (without the yellow jacket) is one of the best shots of this figure I've seen, the shot with Jedi Luke also shows how much better looking that figure was.

I do think the bodies in general have been improving - seems like little improvements to the joints that allow for a little more realistic hang to the body. Thanks for the kind words, and the disagreements. Hey, we shouldn't all think exactly alike.

I think way too much credit is given to the sculpt. I agree that the sculpt should be in the ball-park. But it does not have to be perfect. If it is, so much the better. But it is just not critical. One of the main reasons for this is that there are 2 molds made before the final production piece comes out of the process. And it is common industry knowledge that when you make a mold of something and then a cast of that mold, you lose detail. And this process requires a prototype to be molded and cast, and then that cast is molded and re-cast. So when you make a mold of something, make a cast of that mold, make a mold of that cast, and then make a cast of the second mold, you are sure to lose some detail. Sculptors try to offset this effect by exaggerating some details. But in the end...it is an imperfect process and not a thing in the world can be done about it. A perfect likeness is luck...nothing more, and actually has more to do with a paint application that a mold. I have seen Hasbro figures that you had to look at the costume to identify the character, get repainted to an absolute perfect portrait of the actor.

And the paint application is done by masking off the parts of the portrait that do not get painted, and then painting over the mask. Another imperfect process.

A lot of the people posting here and on many other forums point to higher-end 1:6 scale figures like Medicom and Hot Toys as examples of perfection. I say what the heck are they talking about. I see as few perfect sculpts on their figures as on any other company's. Most of the "perfectly" done ones are aliens and masked figures that are drawn in their creation and therefore only require a copying of the art that made the character in the first place. But as far as specific person likenesses go, it just won't happen except by luck.

We will see hand-done repaints of Yavin Luke that will illustrate this point by being nigh-on perfect.

Although, I do not presume to change the way people like their figures, my advice to people is: stop expecting the likeness to be perfect to the actor. The actor is not the character. The actor is just the "mannequin" used to make the character move around as the story is told in a movie.

Except that the actor IS the character, or at least the way the character is always depicted. If someone did a drawing of Luke that looked nothing like Mark Hammil, what's the first thing you would say? Probably something along the lines of "He doesn't look like Luke."

The sculpt on the Yavin Luke figure does NOT look like Mark Hammil - not so bad that you can't identify him, but certainly not film accurate.

Too many people seem to have relaxed standards for these figures. "Oh, close enough." Well, no, when a company is charging $50-$60 per figure, "close enough" shouldn't be satisfactory.

WerbalKint said:
Except that the actor IS the character, or at least the way the character is always depicted. If someone did a drawing of Luke that looked nothing like Mark Hammil, what's the first thing you would say? Probably something along the lines of "He doesn't look like Luke."

The sculpt on the Yavin Luke figure does NOT look like Mark Hammil - not so bad that you can't identify him, but certainly not film accurate.

Too many people seem to have relaxed standards for these figures. "Oh, close enough." Well, no, when a company is charging $50-$60 per figure, "close enough" shouldn't be satisfactory.

I am glad that I am not bound by that doctrine. I strongly disagree that the mannequin IS the character. In fact, I believe that attitude is not only un-necessary, but just adds to the demand that the figure meet an unrealistic standard as far as the portrait is concerned. And the character is not always depicted as the mannequin that stood in for him. I see people getting into Star Wars costumes all the time. And some of them represent the characters better than the mannequins did in the movies...even with home-made costumes. The best I can give to the mannequins is that they usually bear a strong resemblance to the character as I would imagine that character. But even THAT does not apply EVERY time. I simply do not allow myself to become that attached to the mannequin and I am able to easily accept and enjoy the figures with the exception of quality issues such as poorly sewn costumes, broken accessories, non-functioning articulation and other things of that nature.

Let me throw out an extreme example...Jesus Christ. How many different faces have we seen given to him? Most share similar details such as long brown hair, a beard, and flowing robes. But few are identicle from one interpretation to the next. Some are depicted as white men and some as Middle-Eastern. Some pleasing to the ladies' eyes...some haggard and homely. And I realize that there are some religious issues that keep people from allowing themselves to see Jim Caviezel as Jesus. But it does go to illustrate my point that people do not HAVE to make that kind of connection.

Edit - And as far as paying large amounts of cash for a figure...I still say the likeness is not the issue. For the extra money I want more accessories and accessories and costumes made with higher-grade material. And when I compare a Sideshow figure to a Hasbro figure, I am satisfied that at the price, that is what I am getting.

Last edited:
I don't mean to stir up the cow patty here, Darth Cruel, but I don't quite understand your Jesus example.:eek:
I've never seen a photograph of Jesus but I have of Mark Hamil.:D :lol

Cocoboloboy said:
I don't mean to stir up the cow patty here, Darth Cruel, but I don't quite understand your Jesus example.:eek:

:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

Funny stuff...

Cocoboloboy said:

You make my point for me exactly. You have never seen a picture of the people the mannequins portrayed...just the mannequins.

Mark Hamill is the mannequin to Luke Skywalker as Jim Caviezel is the mannequin to Jesus. And what you basically said is that you have never seen a picture of Jesus (one of the characters) but you have seen a picture of Mark Hammill (one of the mannequins). And if it is possible for people (anyone) to accept other repesentations of Jesus other than the mannequin, then why can't they accept other representations of Luke Skywalker than Mark Hammill?

Back