My Yavin Luke review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because this is a specific version of a specific character. Yes, there's been tons of Jesus', but if someone wants to sell me a version that's based on the way he looked when Cavezial portrayed him in the film, then it damned well better look like that version.

lmao you're using Jesus Christ as an example to justify the horrible job done with the Yavin Luke???? :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl Grasping at threads :eek: you must be a lawyer

nash said:
lmao you're using Jesus Christ as an example to justify the horrible job done with the Yavin Luke???? :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl Grasping at threads :eek: you must be a lawyer

Why is Jesus Christ such a ridiculous example? Why is it grasping at threads? I mentioned right away that it was an extreme example. And it is not intended to justify anything. It is simply being used as an example of the fact that people can accept different representations characters they like.

Last edited:
Michael Crawford said:
Because this is a specific version of a specific character. Yes, there's been tons of Jesus', but if someone wants to sell me a version that's based on the way he looked when Cavezial portrayed him in the film, then it damned well better look like that version.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. If I'm going to buy a figure of Mark Hamil as Luke Skywalker then it better look like Mark Hamil as Luke Skywalker not some random likeness that represents the character.

So if a Luke w/a beard, black skin and a bra on his head was released, it'd still be Luke as long as he was called Luke and had the ANH outfit?

These are figures based on characters portrayed by actors in a film. If the figure doesn't match the actor portraying the character, than it DOESN'T match the character. You could argue this if Star Wars was a book first, but it wasn't. It was a movie first and regardless of how you spin it: Luke looks just like Mark, 100%, because that's how the writter described him visually. And in that regard, the figure does NOT look like Luke.

You can still like it. It's ok. I love Medi Luke and I don't think he looks much like Mark either.

Michael Crawford said:

I'd kill for a DaFoe 12" Last Temptation Jesus. I'm serious.

dekadentdave said:
I'd kill for a DaFoe 12" Last Temptation Jesus. I'm serious.

that would be nice.

i do find irony in the way you worded that though. :D

Michael Crawford's Celebration IV Exclusive 12" Yavin Luke said:
Things to Watch Out For -
Those hands! Take your time putting them on AND removing them, because the fit on the posts is very tight. It is possible to snap one of these posts (just ask my one handed Connor), so you might even want to use a little hot water on the hands the first time or two.

I truly don't understand this line. Sideshow changed the pegs for the Star Wars line to make the hands easily swapable. Is Michael saying they didn't do that on this figure or is he projecting from earlier figures here?

Nope, I had a HELL of a time getting these hands on and off, and snapping the pegs is a distinct possibility.

Michael Crawford said:
Nope, I had a HELL of a time getting these hands on and off, and snapping the pegs is a distinct possibility.

Same problem with the T-1000. I'm always afraid the wrist peg will break off. Maybe when they design a new body they will have a better design for interchangeable hands.

The short thin pegs means that either you end up with them too tight, and perhaps breaking them, or too loose, and the damn things fall off too easy, let's hope they get redesigned. I was just working with my Medi Sandtrooper, thinking how great the swappable hands are.

I find that with the hand pegs, the round ends that have been the standard for the Star Wars line up until this Luke, work just fine for changing and not being too loose, but this Luke and like Dave said, the T-1000 and T-800, the hands are really tight on there and you almost have to just pick a favorite set and leave it there wrather than risk breakage. Medi has a nice interchange system, but unlike HT and SSC, all of the current wrists have had one axis for pivot, it'll be great if they ever get multiple axis ability.

Michael Crawford said:
The short thin pegs means that either you end up with them too tight, and perhaps breaking them, or too loose, and the damn things fall off too easy, let's hope they get redesigned. I was just working with my Medi Sandtrooper, thinking how great the swappable hands are.

Interesting, because I really dislike the Medicom pegs. The very limited range of movement makes them difficult to pose, especially holding the weapon. When I put the hands in a position I am satisfied with, I often notice they are not all the way in the arm. When I push them back in the arm, they are no longer in the position I liked.

I did have trouble swapping the right hand for Luke, but once on, at least it stays on.

For what it's worth , I think the figure loks like a Hasbro . A good Hasbro , but a Hasbro all the same . I'm willing to give Sideshow the benefit of the doubt though and put it down to being a "rush job". I have one on order , but I imagine it will spend more time in the box than on display . At least they didn't rush out a "Farm Boy " Luke and make a hash of that!:D

after reading all the complaints about this figure and seeing what hot toys and medicom can do with a sculpt, sideshow needs to hang up the 12" hu-man figures and stick to the monsters. ie: jack sparrow and jango fett.

are the sculpts done by ht and medi computer generated from a photo or something? they look 'heads' above the competition. :lol

Yeah, I noticed with mine it was a royal beyatch to get those hands snapped onto those pegs. Then to add, my paranoia didn't help as I feared the pegs would snap right off with the pressure.

thundergod said:
For what it's worth , I think the figure loks like a Hasbro . A good Hasbro , but a Hasbro all the same . I'm willing to give Sideshow the benefit of the doubt though and put it down to being a "rush job". I have one on order , but I imagine it will spend more time in the box than on display . At least they didn't rush out a "Farm Boy " Luke and make a hash of that!:D

I think its disingenuous to say the "figure looks like a Hasbro" when in reality its only the head that is garnering complaints.

I own the Hasbro Yavin Luke and trust me, the outfit does not look like Hasbro's.

why is it disingenuous when it's a matter of opinion? I also think it's just a little better than hasbro. but for the price, no where near the quality that it should be.

I think it's disingenuous to give sideshow "the benefit of the doubt" just because it's a rush job. thats a riddiculous reason to accept the lack of quality imo.

I don't buy that it's a "rush job", either. SSC knew about Celebration IV for over a year and thus had ample time to plan for any exclusive items.

Back