My Car: What Would You Do?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the consensus. Get it fixed Ween...but shop around for better prices on the repair. I know that you've been taking cars to that mechanic for awhile to get repaired, but it doesn't hurt to do some research and shop around to get the best price from a decent mechanic. That's alot of money that the mechanic is quoting you.

Yeah, I'd get it fixed

It wouldn't be good to buy a new car right now unless you're very well off, and if you bought a cheap used car you would probably have to put more money into that car than just fixing the one you have.

My car was $1,150 when I bought it used (old car) and I've probably spent more than $5,000 on repairs since then, and that was only a few years ago.

Weenie...my car died on me last year. They said I needed to drop $2000 to fix it. I just sucked it u and got a newer used car. And I'm much happier now! :)
I mean car payments suck...but at least I'm not worried that my car is gonna stop running in the middle of a freeway anymore. *whew*

go find a good mechanic & well lets just say "cozy up" to him, let him fix your car for "free".......& then dump him..............:panic:

unless you really like him..............:wink1:

:wave...........weenie

Hey Ween,

I honestly wouldn't put another dime into it. The PT is known for being a trouble-prone vehicle. Once you pay to fix all of its current issues, a new batch will probably crop up. Your year model in particular seems to be the worst. Sorry.

PT.jpg

Based on the current trade-in value of the car (around $3000), sinking $1800 into it seems like a bad idea.

In your first post, you stated they don't make them anymore, but in fact, they do. The 2010 model is available currently.

Here's a rough estimate of the trade-in amount:

https://www.kbb.com/used-cars/chrys...ion=fair&id=2084&category=wagon&mileage=37000

So, if you drop another $1800, you're going to have $4800 in a $3000 vehicle. If I were you, and I just loved PT Cruisers, I would take that beast to another dealer, take the $1800 and the car and use them for trade toward a 2010. You can buy the 2010 models for $14,000 or less with a little negotiation. Now you've got a brand new car, with a very low monthly payment ($175/month for 5 years against $9000 after trade-in/down payment).

I would never sink that much money into repairs for a car that's going to be basically worthless in a couple of years. Get the trade value out of it now.

Regarding your job situation, if you were to find yourself out of work in a year, and the car you have now DOES break down, you are not going to have reliable transportation while seeking out a new job, which is going to make finding that new job extremely difficult. A new car bought now would be covered under warranty.

Last edited:
Hey Ween,

I honestly wouldn't put another dime into it. The PT is known for being a trouble-prone vehicle. Once you pay to fix all of its current issues, a new batch will probably crop up.

Based on the current trade-in value of the car (around $3000), sinking $1800 into it seems like a bad idea.

In your first post, you stated they don't make them anymore, but in fact, they do. The 2010 model is available currently.

https://www.kbb.com/used-cars/chrys...ion=fair&id=2084&category=wagon&mileage=37000

So, if you drop another $1800, you're going to have $4800 in a $3000 vehicle. If I were you, and I just loved PT Cruisers, I would take that beast to another dealer, take the $1800 and the car and use them for trade toward a 2010. You can buy the 2010 models for $14,000 or less with a little negotiation. Now you've got a brand new car, with a very low monthly payment ($175 for 5 years against $9000 after trade-in/down payment) for the next 5 or 6 years.

I would never sink that much money into repairs for a car that's going to be basically worthless in a couple of years. Get the trade value out of it now.

That is a good thought but relative to what she can afford. If her current car is paid off and she can afford the $1800 but she cannot afford the $300 a month payment for the next 4 years well then I would bit the bullet and put money into this car. Even if they are known to have a lot of problems it still seems like a new car with the amount of miles she has on it.

I agree with what you are saying, even more if her car had 100k+ miles on it but in her situation it might not be the best route.

Where did you come up with $300 a month for 4 years? On a $9000 loan, it would be around $175 for 5 years. $175 is a pretty low payment to guarantee continued transportation. Maybe you've never been out of work, and had your vehicle break down in that time period, but there is nothing worse for your self-esteem. If I'm looking at possibly being out of work in the future, I would do whatever it took to make sure that nothing else was going to contribute to my already bad situation. And having no way to get to the new job is about as bad as not having one. Reliable transportation is really the most important thing a person can have. Without it, everything (and everyone around you, usually) suffers.

Last edited:
Where did you come up with $300 a month for 4 years? On a $9000 loan, it would be around $175 for 5 years. $175 is a pretty low payment to guarantee continued transportation. Maybe you've never been out of work, and had your vehicle break down in that time period, but there is nothing worse for your self-esteem. If I'm looking at possibly being out of work in the future, I would do whatever it took to make sure that nothing else was going to contribute to my already bad situation. And having no way to get to the new job is about as bad as not having one. Reliable transportation is really the most important thing a person can have. Without it, everything (and everyone around you, usually) suffers.

I was throwing a random number out there. You are assuming a good interest rate and she can get that much for her car.

I agree reliable transportation is a must but I don't agree that every situation warrants buying a new car because you have to pay between $1300-$1800 on a car with that low of miles.

Also if you can cut the cost by not fixing the A/C, that helps. :)

Hey Ween,

I honestly wouldn't put another dime into it. The PT is known for being a trouble-prone vehicle. Once you pay to fix all of its current issues, a new batch will probably crop up. Your year model in particular seems to be the worst. Sorry.

PT.jpg

So, if you drop another $1800, you're going to have $4800 in a $3000 vehicle. If I were you, and I just loved PT Cruisers, I would take that beast to another dealer, take the $1800 and the car and use them for trade toward a 2010. You can buy the 2010 models for $14,000 or less with a little negotiation. Now you've got a brand new car, with a very low monthly payment ($175/month for 5 years against $9000 after trade-in/down payment).

Regarding your job situation, if you were to find yourself out of work in a year, and the car you have now DOES break down, you are not going to have reliable transportation while seeking out a new job, which is going to make finding that new job extremely difficult. A new car bought now would be covered under warranty.

I had heard they stopped making the PT when all the car makers were crying for money. Though I'm glad they're still making them. I hate the look of the car now, at least on the inside.

Trade in value for a car is always low. You can sell a car outright and get a lot more for it. Unless the car is just a couple of years old, the dealerships don't want it. My brother just bought a new Town & Country van and they only wanted to give him $1500 for his old one, which was ridiculous. He's going to sell it outright. I know I can get more than $3000 for mine.

I don't know why the car is rated so low. I've never had any problems with it until just recently.

No matter what I do, I'm not going to like it. I need to get through this school year and into next to see how things will go future wise. I would hate to buy a new car now, only to wonder how I was going to make the payments in a year. I also always take a car out over 3 years. There's no way I would make payments for any longer.

My mother has an 11 year old Ford Taurus station wagon with 57,000 miles on it. There are people leaving notes on her car telling her if she ever wants to sell it, to call them. I know of two people personally who want it. A stupid station wagon! Why can't I be that lucky! :lol

Look identical to this. Just has a couple dings in it.

00-05_Ford_Taurus_wagon.jpg

I was throwing a random number out there. You are assuming a good interest rate and she can get that much for her car.

I agree reliable transportation is a must but I don't agree that every situation warrants buying a new car because you have to pay between $1300-$1800 on a car with that low of miles.

Also if you can cut the cost by not fixing the A/C, that helps. :)

Trouble is, it's tied in together somehow with what is acting up in the car. What cools the inside, is also cooling part of the engine, that's why I'm having so much trouble. The hotter the car gets, the worse it acts. I'm car parts stoooopid, so I can't really explain it all.

I hate not having AC. I haven't had any all summer. :(

Trouble is, it's tied in together somehow with what is acting up in the car. What cools the inside, is also cooling part of the engine, that's why I'm having so much trouble. The hotter the car gets, the worse it acts. I'm car parts stoooopid, so I can't really explain it all.

Yea I know what you mean, I just thought it might help cut the repair cost for now but if it necessary then nevermind!

Is your temperature gauge in your car hovering around the center or is pegged all the way to the right?

Is your temperature gauge in your car hovering around the center or is pegged all the way to the right?

Mine moves up and down, and I never paid much attention to it. When it started acting up, I didn't drive it too much, just in town. I didn't drive it enough to get it really hot because I was afraid of getting stuck someplace. :(

If you can't afford a new one, then fix it.
first the cost of the repair could easily be spent on another car, if you were to purchase another used car, that you know absolutely nothing about and will most likely have alot more miles on it than yours.:gah:

secondly if you were to purchase a used car and finance it, the cost of the repair wouldn't even cover the interest on a used car loan.

and lastly with the purchase of a new car of course the interest adds up quickly and the depreciation in the first year along would be 10X the cost of the repair.

i bought a cheap 96 saturn sedan for only $400 and spent $2500 on it. it's a great little car and get close to 50 mpg:yess:

Back