Moronic eBay Buyer! Joker DX 01 Horror Story (case closed) + eBay Blacklist

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Moronic eBay Buyer! Joker DX 01 Horror Story

I run into this situation all the time, even though I've been selling for a few years. You don't have to be a new seller for PayPal to hold your funds, they'll do it for whatever reason they deem necessary. If your item happens to be "high risk" (eg. high priced collectibles), if you have less than 100 feedback scores on your profile, or even in the case that you do have a lot of feedbacks but haven't been selling much for the year - all of those are reasons for PayPal to hold funds.

Did the seller upload the tracking number to PayPal to show them proof of the delivery? Also, did you make sure to leave her positive feedback after you received the book? It's more important for the buyer to leave positive feedback on the seller's profile, for additional proof of a successful transaction. Her funds were most likely being held for an extended period because one of those two things were neglected. PayPal usually releases funds immediately once feedback is left (from the buyer) and when proof of delivery is provided through online tracking.

She left a tracking number and we both left each other 100% positive feedback.

I actually just sent a message about an hour ago asking if she received the payment yet.

I've sold quite a bit and this has never happened to me. I would HATE to have to ship something to someone while having my funds on hold. I was really impressed that she sent them out and I got them in two days. I would have been reluctant to send something to someone without money in my pocket. All that uncertainty, the fees, etc. Paypal and ebay shouldn't be able to do that. If this is common to new sellers or even seasoned sellers, well, that's just discouraging.

She left a tracking number and we both left each other 100% positive feedback.

I actually just sent a message about an hour ago asking if she received the payment yet.

I've sold quite a bit and this has never happened to me. I would HATE to have to ship something to someone while having my funds on hold. I was really impressed that she sent them out and I got them in two days. I would have been reluctant to send something to someone without money in my pocket. All that uncertainty, the fees, etc. Paypal and ebay shouldn't be able to do that. If this is common to new sellers or even seasoned sellers, well, that's just discouraging.

Oh okay. Man that sucks, I hope that she's able to get her money soon. But yeah, PayPal withheld the funds for all of my sales last year. The longest that I ever had to wait was 22 days. I dunno. Maybe Ebay is trying to discourage me from selling on their site now :monkey4.

I'm never selling anything valuable on eBay again!!

Such scum buyers on there :(

But unfortunately, if you can't get something sold anywhere else, Ebay is a necessary evil. Well, it's either that, or you can just keep all of your possessions so you won't run the risk of being scammed.

here is an interesting story posted on the eBay forums. Basically they are saying if your a seller ONLY except direct Payments and DO NOT use Paypal.

eBay gives you the option to use PayPal or Credit Cards, but in order to use Credit Cards you need to have a merchant account set up through say a web hosting company. I need to look into this and find out pros & cons. Most likely your sales will go down because 99.9% of eBay users only will buy with PayPal. But as a SELLER it may be the only way to protect yourself from PayPals awful SELLER rules that completely favor the buyer.

https://reviews.ebay.com/How-To-Protect-Yourself-As-a-SELLER-Buyer-Fraud?ugid=10000000011149935

The one, major problem that I see with this, is that "direct payment" also refers to checks and money orders, which are far from secure. It's extremely easy to counterfeit them, and that's also why Nigerian scammers are able to succeed so much in their crimes.

Bad advise from that article, in my opinion. Either go with PayPal (where you'll at least have some amount of seller protection), or just don't sell on Ebay at all.

The one, major problem that I see with this, is that "direct payment" also refers to checks and money orders, which are far from secure. It's extremely easy to counterfeit them, and that's also why Nigerian scammers are able to succeed so much in their crimes.

Yeah but what would be the problem with checks and money orders if you cash them in before you ship, to make sure they're legit?

I used to pay with and accept money orders all the time. They were great.

Yeah but what would be the problem with checks and money orders if you cash them in before you ship, to make sure they're legit?

I used to pay with and accept money orders all the time. They were great.

I used to accept money orders and certified checks too, before I had a PayPal account. But then, I read stories from other sellers who cashed money orders and had the funds successfully clear, only to find that several days later, that their banks had hit them with charge-back fees when it was discovered that the money orders were fake. The unfortunate thing is, that unless you're really good at spotting counterfeit payments before hand, there's no real way of telling if something is legit until you deposit it, wait for the funds to clear, and then cross your fingers in hopes that your bank doesn't tell you later on that the payment was fake, in which case, they'll hit you with a fee for the full amount.

I guess it's up to the seller on which method of payment they'd like to use. Although I've never had a problem with accepting certified checks/money orders before, right now I'd only accept them people that I know and trust.

Last edited:

This is all very sad reading and I do feel for people who have bad experiences but in all honesty I don't get how people can out right say that all of ebay is bad/crap etc. It's populated by millions of users and still stands as one of the best ways to sell your unwanted stuff. I mean if I wanted to sell a Hot Toys figure, seriously what alternative have I got that would protect me any more than Ebay? Thats the trouble with collecting stuff such as toys and figures. Sure I could sell them to another Sideshow Freaks user or something, but surely I just face the same dangers doing that?

Reading stuff like this makes me not want to deal with ebay either. Its crazy man

2-4-2012 Update:

Help! eBay ruled against me, no big suprise, full refund, fine. However, the buyer sent back a package full of garbage and papers. What can I do?

This is sad, eBay is no longer safe, the buyer blazin173 has perfect feeback since 2003 and now he pulls this crap?

I don't know, make a police report?

I don't know, make a police report?

I think he said that he did several pages back, but the police couldn't help him in this matter. It's just so unfortunate.

I don't know how ebay is still around. If sellers aren't protected, they won't want to sell there and if ebay doesn't have any sellers, they don't function. :dunno

Despite all of Ebay's problems, I think that people end up listing there because its their only alternative. To this date, I've never gotten anything sold anywhere else. I've tried everything, from listing on forums, Craigslist, posting up flyers that I printed out, but to no avail. But, as soon as I list on Ebay, my item usually sells within a few days.

I think it has more to do with buyers trusting Ebay's protection policy, and because of that, they won't buy something if it's not listed directly on Ebay.

What About AMAZON? is Amazon as bad?
I hear a lot A LOT of horror stories from Ebay, but I barely hear anything from amazon

plus a lot of amazon sellers are actual stores, not weirdos selling Sh__t from their basement
i have bought some stuff from amazon

What About AMAZON? is Amazon as bad?
I hear a lot A LOT of horror stories from Ebay, but I barely hear anything from amazon

plus a lot of amazon sellers are actual stores, not weirdos selling Sh__t from their basement
i have bought some stuff from amazon

Amazon is actually pretty good if you can find your item on the site, but they do take more of the money from selling it than ebay does, that's the only reason I prefer ebay over amazon.

Help! eBay ruled against me, no big suprise, full refund, fine. However, the buyer sent back a package full of garbage and papers. What can I do?

This is sad, eBay is no longer safe, the buyer blazin173 has perfect feeback since 2003 and now he pulls this crap?

I have literally stomach ache, after reading this.

I do must say, I have a + 2400 feedback ebay account (member since '03) and so far I only got played once (lost 100 € and a rare factory sealed SATURN game, paypal did jack _____).

I guess you were really unlucky to encouter this jackass. Either way, horrible story :(

Amazon is actually pretty good if you can find your item on the site, but they do take more of the money from selling it than ebay does, that's the only reason I prefer ebay over amazon.

so amazon's selling fees are higher?
I've bought from amazon a bunch of times and Ive always have had a really good experience, I don't know how it is for sellers,

so amazon's selling fees are higher?
I've bought from amazon a bunch of times and Ive always have had a really good experience, I don't know how it is for sellers,
Amazon is way too expensive to sell from. I looked into it once and I couldn't believe the percentage they take. At least Ebay is still at about 10% and you can list auction-style for free. PayPal is an additional 3%.

Sure there are risks out there with Ebay. But from my experience they are few and far in between. Just sell smart, especially with expensive items: describe accurately and conservatively, offer returns, pack very well, and ship w/PayPal's hidden cost labels w/delivery confirmation so that the handling cost is no one's business but the seller's. I always add a reasonably healthy handling fee. You have to to offset your costs a little bit.

I don't know how ebay is still around. If sellers aren't protected, they won't want to sell there and if ebay doesn't have any sellers, they don't function. :dunno

Think about it: As a seller how many bad experiences have you had and how many good sales have you made? Hmm? There's your answer. No matter how bad one experience or two may be, it's still to your benefit as seller to keep on selling. That's what keeps millions—yes, millions—of sellers still selling on Ebay, and even more buyers buying.

I've had a few bad experiences on Ebay, too. Both as a seller and a buyer. I've learned from them. When you're a buyer, Ebay protection sure comes in handy. When you're a seller it may bite you in the arse. But the system is set up so that buyers keep coming back and this is good for sellers, so in the end it's all good. Suck it up and move-on, boys. For my money Ebay is still by far the best place to find that long-sold-out collectible.... and then to re-sell it. :yess:

Last edited:

I had a shop once but someone stole something so i had a cry and closed the shop

Back