Premium Format Morgul Lord Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Witch-king / Lord of the Nazgul PF! Order NOW through the banner!.

This piece should win the award for cheesiest exclusive. Normal sword looks great!

Yeah, I'll be using the regular sword. I appreciate their thought, but flames are hard to do without that "toy" look.

The flaming sword exclusive is lame and will most likely earn the Lamest Exclusive Award this year. We just have to suck it up and live it.

You know, it just occured to me what will beat this out for lamest exclusive of the year. Look at the Iron Man Damaged version coming out next year.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=9010901

Wow, another hand that fits other true type figure bodies. Yay. :sleep

How do you figure? The pose looks to me like he's just made that slow approach to Éowyn after getting off the decapitated fel beast and he's about 1/4 of a second away from swinging that big ball and chain. He's reared back, focused on the target. Looks like a great freeze frame IMO. I'm not sure I understand all the disappointment in the pose. It's a cinematic moment of the deep breath before the plunge (to quote Gandalf).

Welcome to the forum Avenger!

Don't get me wrong, I'm still getting him, I just think the pose could have been less awkward.

Either of this would have been better or one of the keyframes of him in midswing too. I think they just didn't want it to be too similar to the existing Weta one which had a better pose. The sword raised in midswing looks much better to me than that awkward brace before the swing. Again, it's jmho. Cheers.
220px-Witch-king.jpg

morgullordpose02.jpg
morgullordpose01.jpg

300033_press10-001.jpg
9338_press01-001.jpg

Witch_king.jpg
NomancanKillMebyLinkD3.jpg

Last edited:

I still don't have a F'n clue what the pose is supposed to be....:dunno

It just looks plain awkward....:lecture

Welcome to the forum Avenger!

Don't get me wrong, I'm still getting him, I just think the pose could have been less awkward.

Either of this would have been better or one of the keyframes of him in midswing too. I think they just didn't want it to be too similar to the existing Weta one which had a better pose. The sword raised in midswing looks much better to me than that awkward brace before the swing. Again, it's jmho. Cheers.
220px-Witch-king.jpg

morgullordpose02.jpg
morgullordpose01.jpg

300033_press10-001.jpg
9338_press01-001.jpg

Witch_king.jpg
NomancanKillMebyLinkD3.jpg

Thanks for the welcome!

I'd be thrilled with any of the poses you showed. You pulled some good shots there.

I dig this character enough I'm just excited to see him come to life like they've done. Perhaps they could have posed him with a bit more flare, perhaps in the action instead of just about to do it. In any case, we all have to decide the value of these collector pieces, and taste is definitely relative. So, if we're buying it or not, I'd like to think we're all able to appreciate the detail they've given the figure and go from there.

A bigger concern for me right now is how the overseas production goes. I've seen tattered cloth on Sideshow figures before, and it's never done as well as the proof. The cloth is everything to this figure. The prototype looks like they wore it down on some grinder stone or something similar. It looks good, like natural wear, and the dirt looks nice. If in production they just tear a piece of black cloth and call it a day, that will be a huge disappointment. In many ways, I'd rather Sideshow get a proof back from production to shoot for their web photos. Regardless of what they say about how hard it is to tell the proof from production, I've yet to get a piece that accurately represents the quality of the proof. I still find the pieces very nice, don't get me wrong. But, it's always a crap shoot on just how close what I get is going to be to the pictures we drool over on their site. If the production piece varies as much as I've seen on some other PF's (on the cloth, I know the armor will be good), this may be the last PF I buy from Sideshow. Their dioramas and 12 inch figures are often cheaper, have a smaller footprint, and tend to represent similar quality to the PF's. That may be the best value really. If the PF's aren't going to exhibit showroom quality in materials and craftsmanship on a consistent basis, I can't justify the price, for my collection anyway. I don't mean to be scathing of SSC, they really do nice stuff. But, I'm a little tired of having to forget about the proofs that sold me on the product, before I can enjoy a $300 PF. I don't mean to stir the pot, this is all my opinion, and maybe I'm too picky or have unrealistic expectations.

Sideshow seems to do armor and metallics well though. My predator stuff reflects that. If they get the cloth nice, this should be a nice piece. Here's hoping.

Last edited:

I still don't have a F'n clue what the pose is supposed to be....:dunno

It just looks plain awkward....:lecture

I dunno. It looks to me like he's getting ready to do an overhead smash with the morning star. He's pivoted his torso and lowered his shoulder in order to get the leverage needed to whip that massive weight up and over.

Honestly, I think this is one of those poses that works when seen in 3 dimensions, but doesn't work as well when seen in 2D. :huh:

Isn't the helmet supposed to be in 1 piece too, what's with the joints in the nasal area?

helmet.jpg

Isn't the helmet supposed to be in 1 piece too, what's with the joints in the nasal area?

helmet.jpg

I don't know, the pic on the left there from the movie still seems to have some sort of raised metal, particularly the lower left nostril. The production video said they studied the originals. To my eye, it looks like the nostrils are 2 part overlay. However, I think the SSC piece might over define it with a little extra thickness. The original looks like the overlay is a thinner metal than SSC represents.

I dunno. It looks to me like he's getting ready to do an overhead smash with the morning star. He's pivoted his torso and lowered his shoulder in order to get the leverage needed to whip that massive weight up and over.

Honestly, I think this is one of those poses that works when seen in 3 dimensions, but doesn't work as well when seen in 2D. :huh:

:lecture:exactly::goodpost:

decided to cancel the EX, but hes on my xmas list :pray:. I dont think I've been naughty :dunno

I can't get this right away but will wait for some in-hand shots before I put this on my wait to buy list.

I canceled my exclusive and ordered the regular.
The flame sword does nothing for me. I would not have displayed the statue with it so why have it?
Not to mention screen accuracy!

When this first released I had the EX, but then canceled it as well because I just didnt care for the cheddar cheese sword adn wouldnt display him with that either so i opted out for the regular version.

Is this in scale with the SS Sauron, or is it bigger because of premium format....might of answered my own question but I don't know if Sauron was premium format.

should be pretty close

Is this in scale with the SS Sauron, or is it bigger because of premium format....might of answered my own question but I don't know if Sauron was premium format.

Sauron was 1/6 scale, the PFs are all 1/4 scale.

Alright.. let me get this straight.. the leg that is showing is the left one correct? that's how I've always seen it. but it does seem to be coming out of the center, so which is it? :dunno

Yes it's the left leg. It's him taking a step with his left leg and then whipping the mace over his shoulder. I do think this statue will benefit from seeing it in 3D like pitu said in his video. Pictures just can't really capture the pose due to all the black robes and lack of body definition.

Back