more HOBBIT news from EW!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curiously, there's not much mention of Ian Holm's take on the matter.

I know it's been discussed before, but would he still be the obvious choice to fill the role of Bilbo? While it would tie in perfectly with LOTR, Mr. Holm is getting up there in age. Ian McKellan's reprisal as Gandalf is easier due to the prosthetics utilized but is Holms physically prepared for the physical demands?

I think I heard rumors that he may do it, but then he said he wouldnt due to the way they had to tape his face to make him look younger in FOTR, but then there came X3 with the age reversals of Sir Ian and Patrick Stewart so its anyones guess.

Didn't Gandalf upon seeing Bilbo on his birthday that he "didn't age a day"?

As for me, for continuity sake, I wouldn't mind seeing an older Bilbo (compared to the book) in the film version of Hobbit... if Ian Holm is up for the physical demands of the role. Aren't we getting an older version of Harry Potter in the films so Daniel Radcliffe can remain playing Harry throughout the series. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Didn't Gandalf upon seeing Bilbo on his birthday that he "didn't age a day"?

As for me, for continuity sake, I wouldn't mind seeing an older Bilbo (compared to the book) in the film version of Hobbit... if Ian Holm is up for the physical demands of the role. Aren't we getting an older version of Harry Potter in the films so Daniel Radcliffe can remain playing Harry throughout the series. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Yeah, but people who are 25 play 18 year olds all the time. That isn't as big a deal. I would like to see Holm still play Bilbo though.

I definatly think they could use the same technique they used in the opening of X3, its just a question of can Sir Ian still handle the physicality of the role. Then again.. get a stunt double and paste Ian's face onto the doubles body. :lol

I definatly think they could use the same technique they used in the opening of X3, its just a question of can Sir Ian still handle the physicality of the role. Then again.. get a stunt double and paste Ian's face onto the doubles body. :lol

Remember though, the guy is 76 years old. :lecture

Well Im sure they can age him to Hobbit appropriate age. :lol I just really can't see anyone else playing Bilbo, he just fit the part so well. If he doesn't play Bilbo the monkey will cry. :monkey2 See, he's already started.

Holm is out. Period. Not only is he far too old for the role, his health has deteriorated over the past few years. There is no way he could do a role with that much movement, hiking and action required.

Besides, I thought he made a great Bilbo in all but one scene --- of course that was where he plays the younger Bilbo finding the Ring. He looked far too old and it just looked bad. And this time that would be the entire movie plus ten years. Just not gonna happen folks.

Of course Holm voiced the part of Frodo in the BBC production before becoming Bilbo in the movies, so... Elijah as Bilbo in the Hobbit??!!:lol:lol

Colm Meaney would make a good Bilbo

cmbilbo.jpg

Back