more HOBBIT news from EW!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point was, back then, things weren't a sure thing and it wasn't like Peter Jackson had every studio in Hollywood chomping at the bit to make these films. At the present time, does New Line need Peter Jackson more than he needs New Line? Of course.

My own vision of the story was so close to what Peter Jackson put on the big screen, that I always assumed that it was J.R.R. Tolkein who was the most successful at making everyone see what Middle Earth should look like. Peter Jackson just took that vision and put it on the screen. To believe that Peter Jackson is the only director on Earth that could make an incredible movie of "Tthe Hobbit" is ridiculous foolishness.

That being said...I, for one, would not even go to see The Hobbit if it were directed by anyone but Peter Jackson. And I would not settle for his being the Executive Producer either...unless he is ALSO the director.

The great thing about PJ's work on LOTR is that while he definitely had his own vision and ideas when it came to telling the story, but he was also keenly aware of how the fans envisioned Tolkien's world. Hiring Alan Lee and John Howe was brilliant, as it put images on the screen that readers had been carrying around in their imaginations based on the illustrations that had been done and included in the text itself. PJ put in little moments and images that mirrored well known paintings and that brought the book to life in remarkable ways. It was easier to forgive him for his plot alterations, additions and subtractions when there were visual moments of great fidelity for fans to enjoy. Frodo, Sam and Gollum before the Black Gate or struggling at their first encounter, or the Fellowship outside the doors of Moria, etc. looked exactly like the paintings we had already known and loved. PJ knew what he could make his own and also what was iconic and needed to be brought directly to the screen.

Well fortunately for us fans we have a huge ally on our sides. Billions and billions of dollars that are very time sensitive.
The Hobbit may be a sure thing but with Jackson at the wheel its a really big sure thing. And if he does two films, that makes two really big sure things.

Even IF Jackson and NL patch this up, and even IF McKellan, Weaving, Serkis, et al, are available to take part in this, and even IF Jackson takes the helm (yeah, LOTS of "ifs"), wonder if Howard Shore would be. Never have found out the reasons why, but remember he and Jackson parted ways during Kong. Wonder if that parting was too bitter for them to come back together to "finish" the Middle Earth saga. Shore has made the soundtrack to LOTR almost a life's mission. And IF Shore won't come back, wonder if any of the LOTR music can even be used? Certainly if the case, whomever that replaces Shore will probably attempt to evoke the richness of Shore's work, but it would be a daunting task I'm thinking.

Does anyone have the scoop on the Jackson/Shore breakup during Kong?

This was Jacksons statement issued when Shore was replaced by Newton.

Peter Jackson made the following statement: "I have greatly enjoyed my collaborations with Howard Shore, whose musical themes made immeasurable contributions to 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. During the last few weeks, Howard and I came to realize that we had differing creative aspirations for the score of 'King Kong.' Rather than waste time arguing with a friend and trying to unify our points of view, we decided amicably to let another composer score the film. I'm looking forward to working with James Newton Howard, a composer whose work I've long admired, and I thank Howard Shore, whose talent is surpassed only by his graciousness."

Sounds like they parted on fairly civil terms. If Shaye and Jackson can patch things up, you have to believe Jackosn and Shore can do the same. Money changes everything.

Yeah, its all good between PJ and Shore. I have to wonder though, what Shore wanted to do that Peter didn't.

One guess of mine is that he (Howard) may have wanted to emulate or at least use the style of Max Steiner's original KING KONG music, which I have noticed that James Newton Howard's score sounds absolutely nothing like. It did strike me as odd that as much as PJ paid tribute to the original film, the music seemed to go nowhere near there.

I've just been watching ROTK again after a long time, and I do have to say that there are moments when I just wanted to skip over the hobbit/Gollum parts, they were just so... irritating sometimes.
And also all the fake gravitas on some scenes, all those long "meaningful" pauses, the forlorn looks... I don't know, some of it looked really a bit too schmaltzy.
Doesn't mean I don't like the movies, it's just that time has reinforced some of my earlier feelings.

The Lord of the Rings is a great trilogy. The action was great, and the music intense. The only real problem I had with 'em was all the slow motion sequences that make certain parts drag a little. Almost every time Arwen is on screen Jackson cuts to a slow motion sequence. That's one of the things I like about Star Wars, no slow motion.

I've just been watching ROTK again after a long time, and I do have to say that there are moments when I just wanted to skip over the hobbit/Gollum parts, they were just so... irritating sometimes.
And also all the fake gravitas on some scenes, all those long "meaningful" pauses, the forlorn looks... I don't know, some of it looked really a bit too schmaltzy.
Doesn't mean I don't like the movies, it's just that time has reinforced some of my earlier feelings.

:lol:lol After watching the trilogy more times than I dare mention, it is those hobbit/gollum scenes that I end up usually fast forwarding through.....they don't necessarily irritate me....I just get bored with them and want to see more action.

:lol:lol After watching the trilogy more times than I dare mention, it is those hobbit/gollum scenes that I end up usually fast forwarding through.....they don't necessarily irritate me....I just get bored with them and want to see more action.

There are two Gollum scenes I can never forward though. The fish killing scene at the forbidden pool and the sneaking scene with the lembas bread and Sam. Those scenes are comedy gold.:lol:lol:lol

There are two Gollum scenes I can never forward though. The fish killing scene at the forbidden pool and the sneaking scene with the lembas bread and Sam. Those scenes are comedy gold.:lol:lol:lol

I love the song he sings while at the forbidden pool....I do like the scene when they go through the Dead Marshes....

I love the song he sings while at the forbidden pool....I do like the scene when they go through the Dead Marshes....

I love that song too. I even bought a cardboard standee of Gollum that has him singing it.:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Gollum is ok, as a matter of fact, I think his acting is usually much better than any of the other actors...
His scenes when talking to himself are simply brilliant.
It's the damn hobbits... they are just so ugh! Every time I see Frodo whining and Sam being all emo I just want to kick them in the butt.

But I do enjoy the movies tremendously.

The scene at start of King with Smeagol and Degal was very good I thought.

That was good....it nicely gave us some backstory and it was cool seeing how Smeagol changed into Gollum. I remember when he's in the cave and his eyes are still kinda normal just extra large..then he closes them and when he reopens them they are the creepy Gollum eyes. That was cool.

That was good....it nicely gave us some backstory and it was cool seeing how Smeagol changed into Gollum. I remember when he's in the cave and his eyes are still kinda normal just extra large..then he closes them and when he reopens them they are the creepy Gollum eyes. That was cool.

Ya I think Gollum before he got (forgive my spelling) Anorexic was even creepier with his saging eyes and what not.

Another awesome shot is when he bites into the fish and his teeth are all nasty and his nails are dirty and ragged....that shot was absolutely stunning.....They really did an amazing job with Gollum.....I just wish that some of those parts with the hobbits didn't drag so....but I'm not complaining....the LOTR trilogy is the one set of movies I have seen more times than all other movies combined.

Back