more HOBBIT news from EW!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rumors are flying that we could get an announcement very soon -- like within hours or days. I do not know where the LOTR crowd is going that we have to be worried since there is nothing else out there to attract us. Tolkien is in a class all by itself. If Jackson comes back with a HOBBIT film or two, its Christmas every day for the time it takes to put all this together. With LOTR, some of us missed out on the early pre-production and filming reports but now its going to be all Tolkien - all the time on the net. And that makes me happy.

At this point im thinking whoever the director - they need to get started on this film past, because the fan base is fading away from the LOTR crowd.

Just because they're not as agressively vocal as some other franchise's fans doesn't necessarily mean the fan base has/will be fading. I, for one, am just as much of a fan as the next person....just keeping up with the developments as they unfold and watch and wait until there is something a bit more substantial to hang my hopes on. Right now, it's gamesmanship being played by both sides on the 'net and the media. I waited 30+ years for the "unfilmable" LOTR trilogy to come to fruition....I can still wait a bit longer for Hobbitt if need be. :frodo:gollum::gandalf:gimli:gimli:gimli:gimli:gimli:gimli:gimli:

why do you think the fan base is fading? its not like LOTR is some new fad. people have been enjoying tolkien for decades and will be for years to come. if they make a hobbit movie 5 years from now it will be just as sucesssful as if they made it tomorrow. however, id like to see it sooner myself. and with some of the same cast from LOTR

why do you think the fan base is fading? its not like LOTR is some new fad. people have been enjoying tolkien for decades and will be for years to come. if they make a hobbit movie 5 years from now it will be just as sucesssful as if they made it tomorrow. however, id like to see it sooner myself. and with some of the same cast from LOTR

Well said. :clap

Exactly!!!

Agreed. The fan base is not going anywhere. Some of the luster of the collectibles has worn of a little since there isn't a current movie craze going on, but the Tolkien fan base isn't going away.

This has been going on for too long, and there is too much bad blood, not to mention greed from all involved. Jackson and New Line and the entire government of New Zealand (seriously, their involvement can't be underestimated) sprung LOTR on the moviegoing public virtually unawares -- and in this case, they would be expected to capture the lightning in the bottle twice, with the material that is way more whimsical and way less engrossing.

Which would have been achievable, if they had kept their humility and respect for Tolkien along the way. But PJ didn't even have the courtesy to thank JRRT during his acceptance speeches for ROTK, and I just think this is as good an indicator as any of the approach he'd take to making the "prequel".

I'm also not sure at all that PJ is the only filmmaker alive who can do Tolkien justice on the big screen. He might be farther away from it than he ever was, actually. Just because noone else tackled this material, you can't say noone else could.

But these are all moot points. It might be a fun little movie once it gets made, or it might be a Frankenstein monster of an overbearing megaproduction. In any case, it's not getting made before the strike, and that's all that matters for the next 12 months.

Its amazing how people who hate each other will suck it up when it comes to making money.:D

He thanks Tolkien many times over the course of the movies time in the sun. BFD he didn't say it when the last film one. I think he gets a get out of jail free card for what he's done to help push LOTR to new levels.

Nobody else can do it justice. The only director that would have a chance is Spielberg and I don't see him doing it. I got a pretty darn good feeling if PJ does't do it we will see what everyone feared before LOTR came out.

I think there are many greater directors than Jackson but i agree he has the touch and love for the material to make him a must have director for The Hobbit.

This has been going on for too long, and there is too much bad blood, not to mention greed from all involved. Jackson and New Line and the entire government of New Zealand (seriously, their involvement can't be underestimated) sprung LOTR on the moviegoing public virtually unawares -- and in this case, they would be expected to capture the lightning in the bottle twice, with the material that is way more whimsical and way less engrossing.

Which would have been achievable, if they had kept their humility and respect for Tolkien along the way. But PJ didn't even have the courtesy to thank JRRT during his acceptance speeches for ROTK, and I just think this is as good an indicator as any of the approach he'd take to making the "prequel".

I'm also not sure at all that PJ is the only filmmaker alive who can do Tolkien justice on the big screen. He might be farther away from it than he ever was, actually. Just because noone else tackled this material, you can't say noone else could.

But these are all moot points. It might be a fun little movie once it gets made, or it might be a Frankenstein monster of an overbearing megaproduction. In any case, it's not getting made before the strike, and that's all that matters for the next 12 months.

Yeah, thats what really delayed every thing. I forget, whats the strike about, more money too :rolleyes:. Funny thing about the strikes, they're usually lead by the "hasbeens" or less popular actors who haven't had much work lately.

Wow, this is a really great thread (no sarcasm).

I'd like to weigh in with this:

I think the issue isn't that "no one but Peter Jackson could make THE HOBBIT and do it justice". There's probably a small handful of creators that could do it, especially since PJ & crew have sort of blazed a trail and shown the possibilities...

... I think the issue is: would we really enjoy THE HOBBIT if it had very little in common with PJ's LOTR films? Meaning, if the look, feel, & sound of THE HOBBIT was different, would it be as enjoyable? The accepted opinion is that is PJ doesn't make THE HOBBIT, then we don't get the same actors and craftspersons that made the flavors of LOTR so palatable.

I don't think I'd enjoy a HOBBIT with a vastly different Gandalf, or a Hobbiton that looked different and didn't have Howard Shore's wonderful "Shire" theme played when we see it. Try to imagine the new Indy film with no 'Raiders March', or "Superman Returns" without the Big Theme. Even if these films are good or bad, it's the familiar stuff that helps us jump on the bandwagon.

Just my opinion, tha's all...

-AH!

I agree AH. Plus there's also that who would take over wouldn't respect it as much. Better safe with PJ.

Harry Potter has lots of different directors, but still feels the same and has the same actors....

Thats because they locked them into multi picture deals in their contracts, and they reuse the Hedwig's theme musical que. It's easier to go forward and keep the same direction but with The Hobbit.. we are actually going backward in time.

Too true - and I love ur sig under your photo - That was a great episode of Doc Who!

Thanks! If you're feeling brave there are quite a few of us Who enthusiasts on the board in the Other section.

On topic though, I can liken it to the change of production teams between CoS and PoA in Potter. They did a total redesign of the castle grounds and added some things, changed others. It's still Harry Potter but its not "the same" Harry Potter. Now imagine if they did that with The Hobbit, like say a total redesign of Bag End and no Ian Holm, It would still be The Hobbit, but it wouldn't be the LOTR linking Hobbit that many if not all want to see. I say more power to PJ to be involved and or have final say in some way so that it is still very much the LOTR-esque Hobbit.

Curiously, there's not much mention of Ian Holm's take on the matter.

I know it's been discussed before, but would he still be the obvious choice to fill the role of Bilbo? While it would tie in perfectly with LOTR, Mr. Holm is getting up there in age. Ian McKellan's reprisal as Gandalf is easier due to the prosthetics utilized but is Holms physically prepared for the physical demands?

Back