Mondo 1/6 Scale He-man and The Masters of the Universe figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are these supposed to be bigger, nicer versions of the Classics? That's sorta the vibe I got from MONDO's Turtles and NECA.

I'm not sure. They have not said much. I heard its supposed to be a modern 1/6 take on vintage figures. Which, I suppose, would be the same thing as you said. Lol

Should get a better look in a few hours at the first couple figures..

After reading the Q&A thread I'm a little worried. Japanese style articulation? Japanese articulation looks ugly on muscle bodies. Sorry, but it just does. Look at the figure below. They will need to add a lot of extra armor and clothing to cover it up if they don't want it to look cheap. I'm wondering what the finishes will look like also. Are these just going to look like bigger shiny plastic-finish versions of the Mattel version with a little more detail with too many ugly joints?
View attachment 202903View attachment 202903

The teaser at the org looks good so far..

View attachment 214242

Arm looks 100% identical. Looks like your concerns might have been right. If they turn out like this, I will most likely skip this line. Im fine with 7" Classics line anyway. With the recent statue releases there is really no need for a 1/6 line anymore. Would have been a nice addition, but the shelf will look great without them too. :)

Are these supposed to be bigger, nicer versions of the Classics? That's sorta the vibe I got from MONDO's Turtles and NECA.

No. These are just going to be much like the characters we know, in the colures we know but with some different stylings and extra details. The DC comic has different stylings, the 200x versions are different.

Just whatever the designer wanted to embellish or change like you see with a lot of MOTU art out there like Dave Rapooza.

Ah, just saw this in the OP:

"The idea is to take the basic designs of the original figures, some of the art from the original mini comics and packaging, add a bit of realism to them, along with a bit of our own tastes, and create a series of high-end figures that fans like us would be stoked to have. Designed by Dave Rapoza. Sculpted by Ramirez Studios. EPIC."

I really like what Four Horsemen did with MOTU Classics and was envisioning something like that. Oh well, will wait and see.

Screenshot_2015-10-03-11-55-29.jpg

They look pretty cool, but not $200.00 cool. (For me anyways.) Something about Skeletor's head on that body... There's a disconnect there I can't quite articulate.

I actually am excited for Mattel's Filmation Subscription, however - hopefully that doesn't get botched somehow...

Really liking how those look but I'd like them significantly more if Mondo actually went mixed media with these like every other 1/6 product and gave us some fabric/cloth parts.

Screw mixed media. I want my 80's dolls made out of plastic only, i don't want to play dress up like a little girl with them.

These are SO bought, it's not even funny. First TMNT, and now MOTU, great going on Mondo's part.

Prepare for hell if they make exclusives though.

TMNT, MOTU and MP transformers is what I now collect. I can only wish they get the GI Joe license next.

I like them so far. So happy to finally be getting 1/6 scale motu! Not the perfect figures, but it's the first gen prototype for a small company. Given that I'm happy with them. Wish the sword was more like the motuc sword, but I get why they went in a different direction. I heard the skeletor head has a hinged mouth planned, which should make it look less goofy. I'll be getting these myself. Super excited to do the he-man vs superman DC(star) comics cover in a display. Lol

Fingers crossed the paint apps are good

I would've hoped for a Battlecat later down the road (if Mondo becomes big enough with their figures) but there's no way in hell those knees bend on He-Man. I hope that's not final.

I like my dolls flexible and able to do all sorts of posses.

Naughty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look great so far. I like the sculpts a lot. I think the paint jobs are really going to sway me one way or another. To be honest, in my head, for 1/6 MOTU figures, I wanted more mixed media—kind of like what Hot Toys would do with it, except on this sort of muscular body. Now, whether that look would really be successful, I'm not sure. Mondo probably made the right call here. It's just, part of what justifies the high prices for 1/6 toys is the craft of putting together the clothes and all the tiny details and buttons and clasps and things. When it's all (or mostly) plastic like this, then it just feels like a large action figure ala, say, the Marvel Legends Icons figures. So then it gets psychologically harder to justify spending hundreds of dollars on them.

That being said, I love the additional details. The head of the havoc staff seems a bit too large to me, though. I don't care for the design of He-man's power sword, either. the more angular hilt is okay, but the amount of space between the curved decoration and the blade of the sword bothers me. It lacks some of the elegance of the original. It seems a bit wider and clunkier to me. The sculpts on He-man's face and Skeletor's face look great, and those bodies are really great proportion-wise.

So... it's a bit of a mixed bag right now as far as whether I'd plonk down the cash. But I'm excited to see more.

Back