Molecule8 John Lennon UPDATE 5/10/18 - SCAM COMPANY!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Molecule8 - 1/6th Scale John Lennon

Let's start looking at it this way...

The figure they have produced is pretty darn close to the sculpt. It looks great in my opinion...!

If M8 delivers, all will be forgotten as they move forward to Wonka and other figures. Look how close they did get:

0523b9b0bc20ad31ce16983211fadd55.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Molecule8 - 1/6th Scale John Lennon

Gotta jump in. Love both you guys, but I gotta disagree here. They are still pushing that endoskeleton inside their figure. That has not and will not happen. That is, and will be, a lie.

I'm not sure how many "misunderstandings" you guys are willing to let slide before you call it lying. I'm far less tolerant I suppose. I've seen these guys lying from the start. Stated intentions with no follow thru does not count as "we tried" in my book.

I'm giving them slack for being a start-up with some lofty goals. As I said, I would not have stated those lofty goals so publicly (although I don't recall them specifically saying that they would "revolutionize" 1/6th collecting as has been eluded to here). Start-ups make mistakes, I deal with a lot of them. What makes you a better company is learning from those mistakes. So we'll see about that.

For better or worse, this industry is built around pre-selling so you can't really blame them for building hype for an unknown company's first product in order to get people to pre-order and gauge interest and sales. The money that must go into development, sourcing and licensing, especially for an unknown, has got to be high - higher than the established companies who have some cache with the producers. You need to make up for that and it's much better to KNOW you're going to at least break even.

I think their mistake was mainly in hyping the skeleton/body (which I still think in some form will be the base), that and maybe in not waiting to have anything but a sculpt to show. It opened them up to too many questions and criticism that such a thing could be done, work, be affordable, etc. If it was going to just be a great John Lennon figure, well, maybe they wouldn't have gotten the attention they did, but as some believe - any press is good press.

But you and I both have handed over hundreds of dollars (much more than this figure) to total - or almost total - strangers right here on this forum for things we trust will materialize. Some have gotten burned by a very few unscrupulous people, but for the most part, things go smoothly. These people have no skin in the game as a company hoping to grow either, just personal reputations (if you even know who they are behind a handle/avatar.) Vijay has stated he's a collector who wanted to do something better. I'd love to start a figure-making company, but having been involved for a relatively short time on the customs side of things, I can't imagine what it would take to produce a nice-looking figure, with a sculpt from a top artist for under $500-600 as a small player. This may be a loss-leader for them and, because of the backlash, it may just be a loss. I trust they want to continue and will make this work.

I'm not defending some of the allegations here, which if true, are again a mistake but may also be a small company's panicked reaction to people calling them frauds because they missed a shipping deadline, or preliminary clothing didn't look perfect, or they weren't prepared for their PR needs. I don't care if they live up to the hype, if they - eventually - deliver a decent average-level figure. I may never order from them again if the quality doesn't match the price (not the hype) which still for 3 outfits, a guitar and two sculpts is cheap.

The figure they have produced is pretty darn close to the sculpt. It looks great in my opinion...!

If M8 delivers, all will be forgotten as they move forward to Wonka and other figures. Look how close they did get:

I have seen worse I suppose but I don't think it looks close at all. Most of the lifelike polish and depth that makes the one on the left so terrific is now absent. It looks flat now and those glasses are absolutely awful.

The hair seems to have changed a fair amount during casting, but I guess that's to be expected. The glasses need a lot of work.

The hair seems to have changed a fair amount during casting, but I guess that's to be expected. The glasses need a lot of work.

The glasses will be polished, but other than that what you see is what you get.

Eamon. Brother.

If you had shown up out of nowhere, claiming to be the single greatest thing to ever happen to illustration and teasing that - next Tuesday! - you were about to unleash a drawing of She-Ra unlike any the world has ever seen only to show us a couple pencilled roughs two months later showcasing a Princess of Power that's perfectly fine but in no discernible way groundbreaking?

I don't think you could blame me for being less inclined to believe a word you said thereafter.

Hyping their own product isn't the damnable offense here. I would think that you, more than most, can appreciate the importance of hitting deadlines and not overselling your ability to produce a final product that meets the prescribed standards.

I'll actually co-sign this. They've mislead vendors, ignored customers and botched communications but, thankfully, there's been no concrete evidence to back up those aspersions. That's a fair point.

But I don't think you can blame me for being less inclined to believe a word they say hereafter.

Of this figure doesn't come with that terminator skeleton then they are crooks.

How cow!! :D Thats a hell of a personal attack. I don't even know who you are man hiding behind your fake forum name there. Exactly why do you feel that's a reasonable line off attack here bringing my personal Facebook feed into things? did I piss in your cornflakes or out-wit you public before or something? both are highly possible, especially the former.
I generally say that i am both kinda awesome and I kinda suck at art but whatever little picture you want to paint of me here for these guys, rock on with that "brother".
If I get into the specifics of your attack then I will be accused of promoting myself or something so I'm not gonna.
I cannot imagine we are friends on facebook but if we are, kindly remove yourself. If were are not FB friends then I'm glad I am still being bitched about in some circles. :D
Where in the heck do you see a personal attack? He posed it as a hypothetical?

This whole thing has just blown massively out of proportion. Molecule 8 over inflated themselves and what they can deliver upon.... and people also built them up to be something beyond what they ever could be. The arguments just keep spinning around in circles - At the end of the day... buy this or don't. It is really that simple.

This whole thing has just blown massively out of proportion. Molecule 8 over inflated themselves and what they can deliver upon.... and people also built them up to be something beyond what they ever could be. The arguments just keep spinning around in circles - At the end of the day... buy this or don't. It is really that simple.

Oh I beg to differ sir....what we have here is no less than the fate of 1/6 collecting as we know it. Its a never ending quest for a company thats delivers what it promotes on the schedule it promised.

In the air hangs the sum of happiness, expressed as a quotient of the means of production in the hands of the masses of faceless politicians selling there souls in rendered form to the sex starved citizens of spaceship earth....
That is all..

Where in the heck do you see a personal attack? He posed it as a hypothetical?
Agreed, I don't see any personal attack there... but I see him taking the doubts on Molcule8 like personal attack.

Me taking issue with M8 being called crooks and con artists when they clearly are not is not attacking anybody. It defending from attack.

What you expect?, this group is full of hot toys fanboys, who only buy Iron mans

Great?

The one on the left is great.

The one on the right isn't even close to it, so it can't be great.

Nothing about it is industry changing which is what was promised. Damn, Art and VTS produce stuff that looks better. Hell, even Redman would give them a run.

I still think they're a set of big talking w4nkers.
Personally I can't see the massive leap from the figures they showed in July., buttons are smaller on one of the shirts and that's about it.
I don't think the new shots are out right renders but I definitely think they've been touched with the digital brush, there's blur, fake looking depth of field and I'm guessing the bodies been colour matched to the sculpt.
If they've just finished this prototype now they had nothing in may so when they said it was ready to ship knowing they didn't even have a body to put it on that was a lie ergo they are liars.
Not the same as missing a deadline.

I still think they're a set of big talking w4nkers.
Personally I can't see the massive leap from the figures they showed in July., buttons are smaller on one of the shirts and that's about it.
I don't think the new shots are out right renders but I definitely think they've been touched with the digital brush, there's blur, fake looking depth of field and I'm guessing the bodies been colour matched to the sculpt.
If they've just finished this prototype now they had nothing in may so when they said it was ready to ship knowing they didn't even have a body to put it on that was a lie ergo they are liars.
Not the same as missing a deadline.

Plus just a couple weeks ago they said it would be shipping in October, now it's estimated for Jan-Feb. They said October knowing that date wasn't possible, yet another lie.

Back