Molecule8 John Lennon UPDATE 5/10/18 - SCAM COMPANY!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Molecule8 - 1/6th Scale John Lennon

Producing this stuff is super hard? You mean stuff like an actual prototype they said they had completed months ago? Passing off current WIP as WIP from early development?

The problem is they lied about the progress. They never had a completed prototype. The figure was never even ready for production.

I'm interested in the other licenses they have so I hope this figure releases with decent quality. Based on the latest pics, it doesn't look much better than what they revealed at the convention.

I'm going in circles here. Again, be annoyed. Calling them crooks and con artists who just set this all up, flashy website and all, just too rip folks off is what i take issue with. That is what many suggested here and they were clearly in the wrong.

I know dudes (as there are no girls here) are dying to have a pop at my statements but do read them all yeah? Thanks.

Interesting developments...
So we have official prototype pics of the full figure.
I guess no one will be the wiser until people have this figure in hand and start posting pics.
Incidentally, I think the new pics look more like Lennon than the earlier ones. If they did adjustments, I think they were for the better.

I don't comprehend vehemently defending a company that is completely incompetent.

Product shots of the release version of John Lennon Imagine.
What's Inside:
• Custom designed John Lennon body
• Utilizes Stainless Steel Mark I Endoskeleton
• Two (2) interchangeable head sculpts
• Singing and resting facial expressions
• Interchangeable hands for various gestures
• Classic yellow-tinted glasses
• Round style glasses
• Three (3) “Imagine” era outfit options
• Trademark cowboy boots from the “Imagine” era
• Acoustic guitar with strap
• Custom engineered figure stand
• The first 1,000 are sequentially numbered

View attachment 369610

Well, at long last.

Figures look OK, pretty good for $300 -- but I can't 'imagine' those are the figures you will actually receive.

Also, I can't believe they are still talking about that crazy endoskeleton inside the body -- I'll bet its not there, but then who's gonna have the balls to rip their dollie open to find out?

I'm going in circles here. Again, be annoyed. Calling them crooks and con artists who just set this all up, flashy website and all, just too rip folks off is what i take issue with. That is what many suggested here and they were clearly in the wrong.

Right, so the fact that they lied about the release date, lied about the figure being ready for production, lied about the edition size, lied about the figure being approved by the Lennon estate, lied about having a final sample ready for the 27th of last month, and finally apparently lied about the figure shipping out this month - coupled with the fact that they've been actively deleting any and all comments on their forum and social media about the Paypal refund window imminently closing - is all just incidental? They're totally stand-up guys because they paid you to design a box?

I know dudes (as there are no girls here) are dying to have a pop at my statements but do read them all yeah? Thanks.

Did you just assume the gender of everyone in this thread? :nono

Last edited:

Not annoyed. I agree that they never planned to rip people off. I never called them crooks and con artists but all things considered, I wouldn't blame anyone if they felt that way. My point is that there is no denying that they lied and misled customers. Can we agree on that?

Right, so the fact that they lied about the release date, lied about the figure being ready for production, lied about the edition size, lied about the figure being approved by the Lennon estate, lied about having a final sample ready for the 27th of last month, and finally apparently lied about the figure shipping out this month - coupled with the fact that they've been actively deleting any and all comments on their forum and social media about the Paypal refund window imminently closing - is all just incidental? They're totally stand-up guys because they paid you to design a box?

If you worked in my industry then you would know that often folks don't get paid but whatever. They messed up but they are not crooks and con artists. I

Did you just assume the gender of everyone in this thread? :nono

By all mean feel free to prove me wrong and point to me the girls here. Happy to be proven wrong here.

Not annoyed. I agree that they never planned to rip people off. I never called them crooks and con artists but all things considered, I wouldn't blame anyone if they felt that way. My point is that there is no denying that they lied and misled customers. Can we agree on that?

Mislead sure. Lied no. Lying insinuates that they deliberately tried to deceive. They messed up but they are not evil.

As far as broken deadlines go, They said May, it's Oct. That's six months. Everybody get their Hulkbuster yet? How about Ripley? Ghostbusters?

They're a new company, and while I would have handled the rollout and the PR differently than they have, maybe by under-promising and over delivering, I would hardly say they outright "lied" about the figure shipping or the final sample (they missed it by a week). They definitely miscalculated and again, I would not have promised as much in the first place, but only time will tell if they've learned something from this.

Established companies, like Mezco for example (and even Hot Toys), regularly take pre-orders for products that don't get out for a year and sometimes slip release dates. It's not ideal, but people want them, so they buy. People on here are taking it to a conspiracy level. It's not like we've seen nothing for months.

They missed a few dates, the product is late and may not be 100% as good as it was hyped to be - this is news in the 1/6th world?

The figure seems like an okay value for $300 considering all you get with it, even if it's not exactly revolutionizing the industry. It at least looks better than the stuff that Sideshow usually pumps out.

If you worked in my industry then you would know that often folks don't get paid but whatever. They messed up but they are not crooks and con artists. I

I don't know if you're referring to packaging design or graphic design in general but I work as a freelance illustrator and the number-one golden rule in this business is "**** you, pay me". I'm actually incredulous you would agree to do a project of this size and complexity for free.

Question: are the yellow tinted glasses going to be provided as they say, or will it be the lower grade silver ones shown in the picture below?

43903f6622cd7215b6f829ac56ae710d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mislead sure. Lied no. Lying insinuates that they deliberately tried to deceive. They messed up but they are not evil.

Your point is well taken, Eamon. The company has made some bad business decisions, ones that we are right to call them on. But it costs us NO money to just sit and wait to see what materializes.

Actually, I think that the sins of Hot Toys are more disturbing... creating fully realized prototypes, flashing them around comic cons and toy shows and then never offering them: Lone Ranger, X-Men First Class Charles Xavier, the Falcon cockpit, 60's Batmobile, Baze Malbus just to name a few.

But the gleeful hate that has been slung at Molecule 8 throughout this thread is strangely unsettling... and sad.

I stopped reading and responding pages ago. You just can't fight the chorus of hatred when that's all collectors want to sing.

Last edited:

Your point is well taken, Eamon. The company has made some bad business decisions, ones that we are right to call them on. But it costs us NO money to just sit and wait to see what materializes.

Actually, I think that the sins of Hot Toys are more disturbing... creating fully realized prototypes, flashing them around comic cons and toy shows and then never offering them: Lone Ranger, X-Men First Class Charles Xavier, the Falcon cockpit, 60's Batmobile, Baze Malbus just to name a few.

But the gleeful hate that has been slung at Molecule 8 throughout this thread is strangely unsettling... and sad.

I stopped reading and responding pages ago. You just can't fight the chorus of hatred when that's all collectors want to sing.

Don't get me started on the '66 Batmobile :lol

Well, you're talking about teasing people with product, not taking money for something that doesn't materialize or takes longer than expected. But Hot Toys has done that as well. How much interest could you have earned on your deposit for the Hulkbuster over two years? This is six months late for their very ambitious (and dubious to all, even me who ordered it) original release date. And for a product that comes with two sculpts, and three outfits.

The difference between this and other company delays- they dont give you a hard date. "coming soon" or "3rd quater" gives hope, but also a TON of wiggle room.

Then when that date past- they went silent. No apology, no request for patience. Nothing.

So guess what happens when you take ppl's money, fail to deliver on time, and provide no explanation? Then they start to delete negative posts? Then they elimate the paypal option?

This isnt conjecture or opinion. This is what happened with a fresh faced new kid in town company with no rep or cred that bragged about how they were going to revolutionize 1/6.

Add it all up and YES- people will start to call them thieves or scammers.

So apparently most you do not know that hot toys won't charge distributors until product is ready to ship......actually most manufacturers do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back