1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

Hey there,

This is not a complaint or rant just and observation.

Well I recieved my replacment body with suit from sideshow, original had the wire poking out of the cape and the suit left arm was too short.

Original is the ssc ex version not that it matters, but just so i'm clear.

There are differences I noticed from the original and replacment.

The main one would be there is a big difference in the size and colors of the S on the chest, original is a darker red and yellow,
larger and very well centered with almost no glue marks around any of the edges.(I really like this one)
The replacment is alot brighter,smaller and has glue marks and is not centered it is a little too far to his right. (looks ok but I need to sleep on it to to decide if I will accept it)

Next was the belt. Original was perfect and straight, replacment is not straight and I will have to pop it and re glue so the buckle is straight. (no biggie here I can deal with it)

The other thing I noticed was snags on the replacment. Original had zero the replacment had 3 that I noticed off the bat, but I was able to get rid of almost any sign of them. (so not really an issue)

Like I said this is just an observation and I wanted to post it up.

No figure is ever going to be perfect in every way, hell I think I have found something wrong with every HT figure I have, up to about 25 now, but I still love collecting and will continue to do so.

Thanks
J

Whoah, great mod. Are you gonna offer your services?
Also, can that be done with AC adapter?

Yes...an ac adaptor wouldn't be a problem.

You could easily do this mod yourself. The hardest part was getting the plastic bottom of the base off. I'd be happy to give you some tips. :)

DSC00871.jpg
Niiiiice :clap

You could easily do this mod yourself. The hardest part was getting the plastic bottom of the base off. I'd be happy to give you some tips. :)

That would be really swell of you.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Like I said, the hardest part was getting the bottom of the base off. What I did was heat up the rubberized part as I cut along the glue seam around the bottom. You have to be really careful that you don't cut too deep. After that its a breeze. I attached all the crystals and super glued them into place. Then I just drilled holes throught the bottom of the base into the crystals to hold the LEDs (2 for the longer crystals, and 1 for the shorter crystals). Then I connected all the LEDs in parallel with a resistor for each led. The resistor value depends upon the your supply voltage, the voltage drop of the LED, the listed current of the LED, and how many LEDs you plan to use. Just search google for LED calculator and it will caclulate exactly what you need and some even draw a simple schematic for you. Then it was as simple as soldering wires to a switch and battery compartment, or an AC adaptor if you wanted to go that route. Just go to your local Radio Shack and they can help find what you need as in LEDs, switches, battery compartments, and AC adaptors.

I know that was quick so if there is anything confusing or you didn't understand just let me know.

Hope this helped a little.

I really wish I would have thought to take pictures as I did all this.

I'd almost certainly electrocute myself.

There's no reason for me to take more than a handful of Superman pics. My camera skills, or lack thereof, do this figure no justice. I'd say Superman overtook Darth Vader as my favorite figure. F'n 1/6th perfection.

DSCF1411.jpg

DSCF1412.jpg

DSCF1413.jpg

There's no reason for me to take more than a handful of Superman pics. My camera skills, or lack thereof, do this figure no justice.

It's not a competition.

I'd say Superman overtook Darth Vader as my favorite figure. F'n 1/6th perfection.

You can't stop admiring it either? :D You know, Spider-Man and Superman has to be the best figures Hot Toys has ever made. Once I've found a nice pose I like I just can't stop standing admiring the work they've put into those two figures. :rock Everytime I go into the room I go over for a glance.

Tutorial please ^

:pray:

That would be great man if you could post one. That is an outstanding mod and would definitely like to take a crack at it when I have a chance.
Oh, if you could though, I would appreciate on how to do it with an AC adapter. Not a fan of batteries, and much like my StarWars lightsaber that has AC adapter, I just like to leave them plugged in and lit when I come home from work. :D

It's not a competition.

Says the undisputed winner. ;)

Once I've found a nice pose I like I just can't stop standing admiring the work they've put into those two figures. :rock Everytime I go into the room I go over for a glance.

Me too. Can't stop staring at 'em. :)

It's not a competition.

You can't stop admiring it either? :D You know, Spider-Man and Superman has to be the best figures Hot Toys has ever made. Once I've found a nice pose I like I just can't stop standing admiring the work they've put into those two figures. :rock Everytime I go into the room I go over for a glance.

:exactly::clap:exactly:

It's not a competition.

You know, its funny but everytime I'm at the hallway where my Detolfs are, the first figure that catches my attention is Spidey. The thing is although I love the figure, I definitely have several in my collection that I favor more but I find it funny that its always the first thing that catches my attention everytime I look at the shelves.
I think its because HT did a great job hiding the the joints on a spandex looking suit which gives an impression of a real person underneath the suit instead of a truetype.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Like I said, the hardest part was getting the bottom of the base off. What I did was heat up the rubberized part as I cut along the glue seam around the bottom. You have to be really careful that you don't cut too deep. After that its a breeze. I attached all the crystals and super glued them into place. Then I just drilled holes throught the bottom of the base into the crystals to hold the LEDs (2 for the longer crystals, and 1 for the shorter crystals). Then I connected all the LEDs in parallel with a resistor for each led. The resistor value depends upon the your supply voltage, the voltage drop of the LED, the listed current of the LED, and how many LEDs you plan to use. Just search google for LED calculator and it will caclulate exactly what you need and some even draw a simple schematic for you. Then it was as simple as soldering wires to a switch and battery compartment, or an AC adaptor if you wanted to go that route. Just go to your local Radio Shack and they can help find what you need as in LEDs, switches, battery compartments, and AC adaptors.

I know that was quick so if there is anything confusing or you didn't understand just let me know.

Hope this helped a little.

I really wish I would have thought to take pictures as I did all this.

How far away from Cincinnati are you? We could always use mine for the tutorial video.:monkey3

Why? I don't want to get involved in an argument on this thread as I love this figure so much but to many people this was a deeply flawed movie, from the variable quality special effects to a hideous portrayal of Luthor with his idiot henchman Otis to a farcical interpretation of Clark. Even Reeve's Superman was too young and pretty at the time for me. A few decades on I appreciate more how he looked but still find him a bit lightweight.
But let's not argue. We all have different opinions and I think we agree on how good this figure is.

Well, I don't want to get into an argument either, and I'm not arguing with you here. I must reply as a DIE HARD fan, about your thoughts on the movie. Yes, we all have our own opinions, and are entitled to them. So, I will give my opinions to what you just said.

1.) "deeply flawed movie"? - Many people, fans and non-fans in the general public have considered this "flawed" movie one of the best superhero movies ever made. I respect and admire Richard Donner's incredible direction of the movie. It sits firmly in my top five movies of all time. Add in one of John Williams' BEST and most recognized scores for a movie. What about it to you is so "deeply flawed" about it?

2.) "Variable quality special effects"? - It was made after all, in 1977, the year the first Star Wars movie was released, and then Superman was released in 1978. CGI, and other effects have come a LONG way since the late 1970s. But I still think the movie stands on it alone in the creative way they filmed the flying scenes, fights, destruction of property, etc. I.L.M. was in its infancy at the time, but I thought they did an incredible job. Just like they did with Star Wars with what the won an Oscar award for achievement in special effects.

3.) A "hideous portrayal of Luthor"? - I thought Gene Hackman did a GREAT job. Some injections of humor, with an ego-maniac sensibility, and serious moments of drama. Ned Beatty's Otis was there for the humorous "comic relief" moments, and it worked for me, and millions of other people. Reeve's classic portrayal of a bumbling, "gee-wiz" Clark Kent set a standard. A naive "farm boy" from Smallville at a big city newspaper. Yes, his performance as Clark was intended to be "farcical". That was his intention in how he portrayed him on the screen. The polar opposite of the confident, heroic Superman.

4.) "Reeve's Superman was too young and pretty at the time"? I have the collector's set released a few years ago, and director Richard Donner stood firm on casting Reeve, and I am thankful that he did! At that time actors like Robert Redford were HUGE. Warner Bros. seriously wanted Redford, or some other "known" actor as Superman. So then moviegoers would say..."oh that's Robert Redford playing Superman". Donner said no way, and cast an unknown Christopher Reeve. Then moviegoers said, "I don't know this guy, and he IS Superman". I think that Reeve's lean and muscular build was perfect for Superman, and it still is...in my opinion. Were you expecting someone more buff, like Arnold Schwarzenegger? I don't and never will find him "lightweight". So you don't like Reeve's look in the movie, but consider this figure now a "good" figure? :dunno

Back