1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

It's funny that the Superman films have been on a lot recently on Sky. Superman II just started at the moment. :D

I just got my superman 2 donner cut and I thought might not be that good as original ,since is usualy not.. BUT way better version from 1st version and does nothing but improve the story...just a amazing movie ....awesome film and looking at the figure in this thread looks like he just walked off the set yesterday awesome figure and detail....:clap

Well, I don't want to get into an argument either, and I'm not arguing with you here. I must reply as a DIE HARD fan, about your thoughts on the movie. Yes, we all have our own opinions, and are entitled to them. So, I will give my opinions to what you just said.

1.) "deeply flawed movie"? - Many people, fans and non-fans in the general public have considered this "flawed" movie one of the best superhero movies ever made. I respect and admire Richard Donner's incredible direction of the movie. It sits firmly in my top five movies of all time. Add in one of John Williams' BEST and most recognized scores for a movie. What about it to you is so "deeply flawed" about it?

2.) "Variable quality special effects"? - It was made after all, in 1977, the year the first Star Wars movie was released, and then Superman was released in 1978. CGI, and other effects have come a LONG way since the late 1970s. But I still think the movie stands on it alone in the creative way they filmed the flying scenes, fights, destruction of property, etc. I.L.M. was in its infancy at the time, but I thought they did an incredible job. Just like they did with Star Wars with what the won an Oscar award for achievement in special effects.

Before Tron as well. Look how that gets slagged today. :/

As with anything though, it seems far too many never seem to pick up on. The CGI stuff thats out at the moment, the really good stuff, will look dated in decades to come. Things always move on. Technology advances, skills improve, ideas prosper. So many people need to face it. Nothing stays timeless. Only for that period but it's the memories and experiences felt that counts from that time. Or we wouldn't have had threads on so many forums how they miss the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Sadly I've always felt the way how life is in the 00's and teens, things don't seem to feel quite as great as they were back then. I'm not saying there hasn't been good stuff in those timeframes but the internet didn't exist like the way it is today where anyone with a keyboard can voice their view.
More than ever now it's quantity over quality. Too many things dumbed down that ruins a lot of todays generation.

3.) A "hideous portrayal of Luthor"? - I thought Gene Hackman did a GREAT job. Some injections of humor, with an ego-maniac sensibility, and serious moments of drama. Ned Beatty's Otis was there for the humorous "comic relief" moments, and it worked for me, and millions of other people. Reeve's classic portrayal of a bumbling, "gee-wiz" Clark Kent set a standard. A naive "farm boy" from Smallville at a big city newspaper. Yes, his performance as Clark was intended to be "farcical". That was his intention in how he portrayed him on the screen. The polar opposite of the confident, heroic Superman.

Australia baby!

4.) "Reeve's Superman was too young and pretty at the time"? I have the collector's set released a few years ago, and director Richard Donner stood firm on casting Reeve, and I am thankful that he did! At that time actors like Robert Redford were HUGE. Warner Bros. seriously wanted Redford, or some other "known" actor as Superman. So then moviegoers would say..."oh that's Robert Redford playing Superman". Donner said no way, and cast an unknown Christopher Reeve. Then moviegoers said, "I don't know this guy, and he IS Superman". I think that Reeve's lean and muscular build was perfect for Superman, and it still is...in my opinion. Were you expecting someone more buff, like Arnold Schwarzenegger? I don't and never will find him "lightweight". So you don't like Reeve's look in the movie, but consider this figure now a "good" figure? :dunno

Redford as much as I really like some of his movies, in a way he reminds me of another form of Clint Eastwood. Movies based on real life/day to day life. I'll always think of him as Cowboy like. Even when he was young his skin was too hard looking, like a Cowboy. Somebody thats always outdoors.
I really loved The Horse Whisperer and Sneakers. He's no fictional superhero.

Schwarzenegger as Superman reminds me of Last Action Hero for Stallone in the poster. The accent would kill it and he'd be like the comic version with the pecks and six pack nearly busting at the seams way back then. He'd pack some junk in those briefs back in those days. Probably why Shriver married him. ¬_¬

Look how legendary Reeve is, I'll bet most people in their mid 20's and upwards, if you said Christopher Reeve they would say Superman. Perfection.

A "hideous portrayal of Luthor"? - I thought Gene Hackman did a GREAT job. Some injections of humor, with an ego-maniac sensibility, and serious moments of drama.

My favorite bit, where I find the character at his most sinister, is the following,

"You were great in your day Superman, but it just stands to reason when it came time to cash in your chips, this old, diseased, maniac would be your banker.

Mind over muscle?"

Then he places the kryptonite over Superman's neck.

I just got my superman 2 donner cut and I thought might not be that good as original ,since is usualy not.. BUT way better version from 1st version and does nothing but improve the story...just a amazing movie ....awesome film and looking at the figure in this thread looks like he just walked off the set yesterday awesome figure and detail....:clap

Before Tron as well. Look how that gets slagged today. :/

As with anything though, it seems far too many never seem to pick up on. The CGI stuff thats out at the moment, the really good stuff, will look dated in decades to come. Things always move on. Technology advances, skills improve, ideas prosper. So many people need to face it. Nothing stays timeless. Only for that period but it's the memories and experiences felt that counts from that time. Or we wouldn't have had threads on so many forums how they miss the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Sadly I've always felt the way how life is in the 00's and teens, things don't seem to feel quite as great as they were back then. I'm not saying there hasn't been good stuff in those timeframes but the internet didn't exist like the way it is today where anyone with a keyboard can voice their view.
More than ever now it's quantity over quality. Too many things dumbed down that ruins a lot of todays generation.

Australia baby!

Redford as much as I really like some of his movies, in a way he reminds me of another form of Clint Eastwood. Movies based on real life/day to day life. I'll always think of him as Cowboy like. Even when he was young his skin was too hard looking, like a Cowboy. Somebody thats always outdoors.
I really loved The Horse Whisperer and Sneakers. He's no fictional superhero.

Schwarzenegger as Superman reminds me of Last Action Hero for Stallone in the poster. The accent would kill it and he'd be like the comic version with the pecks and six pack nearly busting at the seams way back then. He'd pack some junk in those briefs back in those days. Probably why Shriver married him. ¬_¬

Look how legendary Reeve is, I'll bet most people in their mid 20's and upwards, if you said Christopher Reeve they would say Superman. Perfection.

My favorite bit, where I find the character at his most sinister, is the following,

"You were great in your day Superman, but it just stands to reason when it came time to cash in your chips, this old, diseased, maniac would be your banker.

Mind over muscle?"

Then he places the kryptonite over Superman's neck.

:clap:exactly::lecture:exactly::clap

True classics stay timeless.

Maybe not mindless action and super-hero movies, but you cannot tell me movies like:

The Godfather
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Rear Window
Cinema Paradiso
etc. etc.

cannot stand their own today. In fact, most of them have much more integrity than most films that are being shown these days.

Just got my Superman... and to tell you the truth, I was a little worried about opening him because of the QC issues. But out of box, he is perfect. No issues at all, and an incredible piece. One of my favorite HT to date.

And Eastwood was asked to play superman as well..... just think how that would have turned out.

clint-eastwood-as-superman-long.jpg

And Eastwood was asked to play superman as well..... just think how that would have turned out.

He would have been a badass superman, the tough guy we all want. CR is way to wimpy and he is creepy looking.

You are correct sir! Since he was already "in" with Warner Bros. pictures after making many movies before Superman: The Movie.

I just could see it now. "You feelin' lucky Zod"? I love Eastwood. But not as Superman. Or Clark Kent. Just to think of him as Clark. Umm...no.

You are correct sir! Since he was already "in" with Warner Bros. pictures after making many movies before Superman: The Movie.

I just could see it now. "You feelin' lucky Zod"? I love Eastwood. But not as Superman. Or Clark Kent. Just to think of him as Clark. Umm...no.

:exactly::lecture:exactly:

Or Clark Kent. Just to think of him as Clark. Umm...no.

:lol

Pink Cadillac scene. :D

Youtube is lame. No english versions.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSyFUNWUxZ4[/ame]

Just Got my HT Superman and as I suspected from other photo's posted here ..this is HT's crowning masterpiece and worth every bit of Arnie Kim's salary ! I plan to shoot this figure quite a bit in the coming months here are a few that I took just out the box ! Bring on Arnie Kim Terence Stamp as Zodd and Kent ! Hell I'd even buy Margot Kidder as Lois ! :yess:

DSCN0610.jpg

DSCN0643.jpg

DSCN0658.jpg

DSCN0652.jpg

DSCN0680.jpg

DSCN0662.jpg

^ might want to adjust the sleeves dude.. that's what happens with tumble dry laundry

This is the best pose and shot of the portrait I've seen to date.
I sold my HT Reeve but shots like this pulled me straight back in and I'm waiting for my "loose" figure to arrive from ABC Express, so I'll be back in the club soon! :lol

Got a spare costume and have been able to remove the HT chest logo without any damage to the fabric and I'm just waiting for the screen printer to make the accurate chest and cape logo replacements. Pattern for the movie accurate boot tops are done too and even the paper test print fixed to the top of the HT boots looks GREAT!
Will post some pics in the customs thread when it's done.

I think a massive amount of credit should go to J.C.Hong's painting skills (and the fact that he's been able to train factory workers to accurately reproduce his style). No other paint jobs I've seen at any scale compare to what HT have done with the paintjob on this head sculpt.

A quick shot of how i display mine

Last edited:

Superman has Shipped :yess: :yess:

I'm really excited but also nervous, this is my first purchase with OSB (everythings been great so far) and i'm hoping the figure has no QC problems

Back