Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SOURCE - IGN

Why Lord of The Rings Fans Should be Excited For Shadow of Mordor
"We really knew we wanted to tell something more character-driven."
by Luke Karmali FEBRUARY 20, 2014

Of all the veins exploitatively mined to near-exhaustion by the entertainment industry, Tolkien’s works have, until now at least, escaped relatively unscathed. Yes, his creations have made the transition to both the big and small screens, the latter by way of PC and consoles, but (with a couple of exceptions) none of the products have particularly damaged the brand. Jackson’s recent return to Middle-earth for a prequel trilogy based on The Hobbit has once again proven that Tolkien’s source material can have the Midas touch, so it’s hardly surprising that the decision was made to similarly create a new video game based on the license. After a well-received reveal, albeit with a few controversies, the question now is whether Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor can continue such a lucrative trend.

Despite Monolith having created a Lord of the Rings title before - the console-led MOBA Guardians of Middle-earth - design director Michael de Plater explained to me that Shadow of Mordor was created in parallel, with a completely separate team. Thankfully though, they’ve been far from alone during their three-year odyssey into Tolkien’s world, getting support from at least four different sources, all of whom are more than au fait with Middle-earth and its fantastical denizens.

The first is Middle-earth Enterprises, the company that has acted as licenser for all things Tolkien for a long old time. Alongside them, De Plater explained that Warner Bros., which is acting as publisher for the game, has a fair few Tolkien scholars whose job it is to check everything that goes into the game in meticulous detail. They make sure no inaccuracies slip in, and scrutinise the specifics from a lore perspective. But it’s the final two collaborative forces working with Monolith that’ll reassure you more than anything that this game is determined to fit snugly into the line-up of entertainment products that respect Tolkien’s source material.

“We’ve shown the game a couple of times [to Peter Jackson] and he’s just been hugely supportive,” de Plater reveals. “His main thing, which was great, was ‘don’t make a movie game. Just make the best game you possibly can.’ He was super supportive of us trying to do something ambitious and different. Then in addition to but separate from him is his design company, WETA. We collaborated with them very closely. They’ve worked non-stop on all the design of the Lord of the Rings films and The Hobbit films and we were lucky enough to hook up with them directly.”

Given how the plot of Shadow of Mordor will comfortably slot between the two movie trilogies created by Jackson, it makes sense for both he and WETA to collaborate with Monolith in a bid to bring about a united vision. But already some concerns have been raised about the premise of Shadow of Mordor’s story; taking place at the time period it does, surely the team is restricted from having impactful moments in the game as, ultimately, Sauron does not fall to Talion the Wraith but rather Frodo the Hobbit? Will this not make it hard to feel like anything you do matters? According to de Plater, such fears are unfounded. He explained to me that while the wider conflict can’t be changed, that doesn’t mean the stories of the characters showcased in the title won’t pack an emotional punch, regardless of whether they’re new or old.

“One of the things that came first was we knew we wanted to do an open-world game,” he explained. “We wanted to find somewhere where we could show something incredibly iconic, but also different, in a way they hadn’t seen before. So we came to Mordor as a setting fairly early.

“We also wanted to be very authentic to the themes of Tolkien. Some of the comments made about Tolkien accuse it of being an oversimplified good versus evil story with good guys and bad guys, but we feel like even in The Hobbit, people like Thorin and Thranduil are incredibly complex. There’s good and bad in them, they aren’t simple good guys. In Lord of the Rings there are even more amazing characters: there’s Boromir and Denethor and Saruman and Gollum. So we really knew we wanted to tell something more character-driven and something very authentic to these themes.”

Yet it was the struggles of Boromir and Galadriel in particular that inspired Monolith, as both characters toy with the notion of wielding The One Ring in a bid to use Sauron’s might against him. Boromir attempts to take it from Frodo by force during the events of The Fellowship of the Ring, while Galadriel later contemplates Frodo’s offer of The Ring, acknowledging that should she accept she would undoubtedly defeat Sauron, only to replace him as Middle-earth’s oppressor rather than lead its people toward salvation. It’s clear from these two examples that Tolkien was fascinated with the notion of power as a corrupting influence, and the philosophical question of whether the ends can possibly justify the means. It’s this idea that gave birth to the Wraithlike Talion, resurrected with Nazgul-esque powers inherently evil and unnatural in origin, yet willing to use them in his desperate quest for revenge, regardless of the consequences.

“Of course, it’s a really interesting time for Sauron as well,” de Plater interjects. “He’s just been defeated in Dol Guldur and driven back. That means two interesting things about him: firstly, he isn’t omnipotent or invincible and secondly he’s at his weakest. So it’s a really interesting time to be able to pursue him, challenge him and think about what happens in Mordor during this period.”

It’s too soon to tell whether Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is destined to be a failure or a triumph, but it’s clear that Monolith is taking its responsibility to Tolkien’s legacy very seriously, assembling a team of collaborators with proven track records in respectfully handling the author’s material. Game development is a pressure cooker where deadline follows deadline, but as Gandalf tells Frodo in the first book of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” This seems to be as good a way to start as any.

SOURCE - Gamespot

One of Shadow of Mordor's most ambitious features scaled back for Xbox 360/PS3
Nemesis system won't have the same level of depth and variety if you're playing on older machines.
by Eddie Makuch on February 20, 2014

One of the most ambitious features in Monolith's upcoming Lord of the Rings prequel Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor--the Nemesis system--will be scaled back for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game.

Design director Michael de Plater said Monolith went to great lengths to make it so the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Shadow of Mordor are on the same level as the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 iterations, but in some ways, this was just not possible.

"We're very focused on the PS4 and Xbox One," he told IGN. "We're focusing on the next-gen platforms, and then going to do whatever we can to get as much as possible on current-gen."

"To break it down, some of the stuff we're pretty confident will still be very similar on current gen: the core mechanics, like combat, stealth, ranged and movements; the basic control and gameplay, that should all be really solid," he added. "What it won't have is the same level of depth and variety and simulation within the 'Nemesis system'."

This is because the Nemesis system is "just so huge" in terms of content, calculations, and artificial intelligence, de Plater said. He said Monolith will try its best to get "as much of it in as we can," but it won't be the full vision for the Nemesis system.

The Nemesis system for Shadow of Mordor allows every enemy that players face to be a unique individual with their own personality, as well as strengths and weaknesses. These enemies will continue to do their tasks when off-screen and can even grow in rank and esteem when players meet them again. If a player chooses not to kill an enemy, the enemy will learn from the experience and grow stronger.

de Plater assured fans, however, that the Shadow of Mordor story and core gameplay will be "the same" across console generations.

According to The Witcher studio CD Projekt Red CEO Marcin Iwinski, cross-generation development will always mean that developers must compromise in one way or another. That's why CD Projekt Red is making The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt exclusive to Xbox One, PS4, and PC.

Shadow of Mordor--which is most definitely not a movie game--is coming to Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PC, but not Wii U. No release date has been announced.

I'm always skeptical when a developer boasts about the A.I. in an upcoming game.
It never delivers.
Great A.I. is the holy grail of the gaming industry, it's always just out of reach.

I am hoping that at least the A.I. is a great step in a good direction this time and isn't all just lies, like what the Rome Total War II developers claimed was an ultimate A.I. and was actually trash.

What I am worried about is the fact that the enemies learn/grow through the game even when your not interacting is actually a dynamic thing and not just some random assortment of traits and talents given to them over time that may repeat on other enemies.

I'm always skeptical when a developer boasts about the A.I. in an upcoming game.
It never delivers.
Great A.I. is the holy grail of the gaming industry, it's always just out of reach.

I tend to agree....that would be where I place my focus as a developer myself.....graphics are great but if AI is actually highly intelligent, now that's NEXT GEN!

Looking forward to this one. The trailer looked cool and I'm looking forward to roaming around Middle-earth.

Very cool.
Looks like a single player, Assasin's Creed-type game.
If so, I'm interested. If it's a MMO, then pass.

SOURCE - GAMESPOT

Uncharted, Mass Effect, Last of Us voice actors working on this fall's Lord of the Rings game
Troy Baker and Nolan North lead the group of confirmed voice actors for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor.
by Eddie Makuch on May 22, 2014

It's a good day to be a Lord of the Rings fan. Not only did Warner Bros. release a new story trailer and gameplay details for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, but the publisher has also announced the game's voice cast and revealed who is composing its music.

The Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor voice cast features some of the biggest names in video game voicework, including Troy Baker and Nolan North. Here's the full list:

Troy Baker - Talion (The Last of Us, Batman: Arkham Origins, BioShock Infinite, Batman: Arkham City)
Nolan North *- Black Hand (Uncharted series, Batman: Arkham Origins)
Alastair Duncan - Wraith (Mass Effect series, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception)
Laura Bailey *- Ioreth (Halo 4, Batman: Arkham Origins, The Last of Us)
Liam O'Brien -* Gollum (Infamous: Second Son, Grand Theft Auto V, The Last of Us)

Composing the music for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is Garry Schyman. He has worked on more than a dozen games, including BioShock: Infinite, for which he won awards from the British Academy of Film and Television and the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences.

SOURCE - GAMESPOT

Shadow of Mordor director discusses Assassin's Creed copycat claims
"We built everything from the ground up for this game," says Shadow of Mordor design director.
by Martin Gaston on May 22, 2014

Following the announcement of Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor in January, many people were quick to compare the game to Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed series. Former Ubisoft developer Charles Randall even accused Monolith and Warner Bros. of using animations and code from Assassin's Creed II. "Seriously, can someone tell me how Assassin's Creed [II] code and assets are in this Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor game?" wrote Randall on Twitter earlier this year.

But Shadow of Mordor design director Michael de Plater has flat-out denied any claims of copying code and animations. "Honestly, we built everything from the ground up for this game," he said to GameSpot.

Monolith did look to UK developer Rocksteady and its Batman games for inspiration, though. "We absolutely, at the inception, looked at Batman, in their combat and stealth," he says, while maintaining that "as soon as people play [Shadow of Mordor], any experience we've had where people get their hands on, it's totally its own thing."

After playing through a chunk of the game yesterday, it did appear to me that the animations of protagonist Talion had been changed slightly--and in particular toning down any similarities to Ezio's distinctive run--since the game's debut trailer, although a Monolith representative wouldn't confirm this to me.

How did the copycat claims affect the team when they first arose, from both Randall and many articles published by the games media? "I think we were just a bit surprised because in any other genre it's such a given," de Plater said. "Nobody would bat an eyelid with a shooter, or a sports game, that two games in the same genre have some elements in common. I think it just shows that there's not that many third-person, open-world action games like this. And certainly, after thinking about it, we couldn't really think of another fantasy one like this as well."

Overall, though, de Plater said that "we spent a lot more time looking at the user comments than the articles, and people seemed really excited."

The headline feature of Shadow of Mordor is its Nemesis system, which creates a dynamic, unscripted hierarchy of orc troops as players work to assassinate their way to the very top. But de Plater also says that, as the game's development progressed, the team also managed to weave its storyline missions around these dynamic events. "I think the thing that's evolved more over time is that people would get into the game and they would totally get lost in the nemesis system," he said. It's worth noting that the Nemesis system is scaled back on 360 and PS3, if you're intending to play the game on one of the older consoles.

"There was a much bigger divide between, well, the Nemesis system, which was kind of the game, and then the story. People would kind of go and do the story when they had to. But as we finished that--Christian Cantamessa was our lead writer and director, he was lead writer on Red Dead Redemption--so as the story missions have got finished, we've got a much better balance between people wanting to learn the story, learn the lore, and are really interested in the background and characters, and are balancing their time more between the different parts of the game. It's feeling more coherent."

This looks better with every trailer. i hope they can pull it off. If so October is going to be an expensive month for me, with this, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and NBA 2K15.

"Seriously, can someone tell me how Assassin's Creed [II] code and assets are in this Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor game?" wrote Randall on Twitter earlier this year.

I suppose he had access to the Shadow of Mordor binaries, reverse engineered it and went through the code for Shadow of Mordor? What an absurd statement to make.

Back