Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor - PS4,X1,PC

This is a world rifew with story telling possibilities. I could be tempted by this one. It does not look too bad. I get a Dishonored vibe from it, especially with the integration of powers to use in killing people.

This doesn't look "like" AC - this looks like they stole and reskinned the Anvil Engine...did they? This IS Assassin's Creed V: Middle Earth.

I'm interested, cause I love AC, but wow...this seems fishy.

That video doesn't give me a Middle Earthy feel. It's probably the character names. Plus a Ranger with Wraith powers is kinda wierding me out. :wacky But it's still something I'll probably get.

Literally first thing I did after first watching the clip was to look up if it was Ubisoft making the game or if they were licensing the engine.
Batman Arkham games are similar but you don't play them and think, wow this is EXACTLY the same as Assassins Creed !

If that code has been written from scratch its seriously weird that it looks that close to AC animations..

1) Make AC clone in Warhammer style
2) put "Middle-Earth" in the title
3) ???
4) PROFIT

SOURCE - Gamespot

Lord of the Rings prequel Shadow of Mordor is "not a movie game"
Film director Peter Jackson pushed the studio not to make a movie game but rather something entirely original, Monolith reveals.
by Eddie Makuch on January 23, 2014

Early in the development process for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Academy Award-winning Lord of the Rings movie director Peter Jackson saw the game and offered Monolith producers some advice: Don't make a movie game.

"The thing he really pushed us to do and was really supportive of doing was to not make a movie game," Monolith design director Michael de Plater told GameSpot. "He's like 'make the best game you can that's not a movie game.' There's no point in trying to reproduce [the movies] as a game. So he was really supportive."

Jackson's Lord of the Rings films spawned tie-in games from Electronic Arts that told the stories of those films. And in 2012, Warner Bros. released Lego: Lord of the Rings, which also followed Jackson's movies. A Lego: Hobbit game, based on Jackson's movies, is coming later this year.

Instead of basing its story on Jackson's movies or even other events from J.R.R. Tolkien's writing, Monolith's Shadow of Mordor tells an original story set between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The story begins the night Sauron returns to Mordor and puts players into the boots of a conflicted Ranger named Talion, who has Wraith-like abilities.

It's not only Jackson who is involved with Shadow of Mordor. de Plater explained that Monolith is working "really closely" with special effects and prop studio WETA Workshop, which rose to prominence for its work on the Lord of the Rings series, for the game's world and character design. He said the New Zealand-based company's attention to detail in the areas of equipment and culture has been "really valuable."

In addition, Tolkien purists might be happy to learn that everything Monolith creates for Shadow of Mordor must be approved by Middle-earth Enterprises, the top-level licensing company for the Lord of the Rings brand. "Everything goes through them," de Plater said.

But it doesn't end there. de Plater pointed out that Warner Bros., which holds the rights to Lord of the Rings video games, has some "professional Tolkien scholars" on staff. "They look after everything," he said.

Also in our interview with de Plater, we asked about the game's branding. Nowhere in the Shadow of Mordor title is "Lord of the Rings" mentioned, despite the game existing in that universe. Is it possible that Warner Bros. is trying to establish a new sub-brand of the larger Lord of the Rings universe with Shadow of Mordor?

"We don't want to get ahead of ourselves at all," de Plater said. "Everything hinges on how good this one is."

Reading that peaks my interest more. I admit the Game Informer article did nothing for me. But I am curious now. Which is all any developer can hope for. Get customers curious, and following the development, maybe you get them hooked enough to purchase.

I see to many elements from Assassins Creed when I watch the trailer...I mean look at the ropes going across the streets. Same build as AC. Not bashing, just noting.

Lots of Assassins Creed nods but in a good way. The whole nemesis system and all that sounds great but I bet you most of that won't make it in to the final game. They'll get lazy, the producers will either cut the budget or they'll bump up the release date and it will suddenly become every other game on the market.

After watching the new gameplay trailer I must say I'm eager to give the title a shot on a next gen console.
Reminds me of Dishonored (Assassin/stealth/supernatural powers) which is a good thing.

I'm totally stoked for this game. Not sure if anyone had seen this 8 minute trailer. I havent really gotten into any of the newer Lord of the Rings games, but the ones you mentioned Josh, Ill be giving them a whirl. This game is my type of game though. I just love the concept of it. Cant wait til its released!

ngbbs479f339749c88.jpg

Sorry, you know someone had to do it. :slap :lol

SOURCE - Gamespot

New Lord of the Rings prequel won't have multiplayer, not coming to Wii U

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is in development "wholly as a single-player experience," developer says.
by Eddie Makuch on February 3, 2014

Upcoming Lord of the Rings prequel Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor will not include any multiplayer and is skipping a release on Nintendo's Wii U, developer Monolith Productions has confirmed.

"Alas, no co-op. Shadow of Mordor is being crafted wholly as a single-player experience," the studio said on Twitter.

Regarding platforms, Monolith explained that the game is coming only to PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC. The developer did not explain why Wii U owners won't get to play the game, but it's possible the platform's shortcomings might be to blame.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is Monolith's second game based on J.R.R. Tolkien's epic fantasy series, following 2012's MOBA Guardians of Middle-earth. Shadow of Mordor takes place exclusively in Mordor and has gamers playing as Talion, a Ranger with Wraith traits.

I'm glad theyre not trying to tag on some sort of multiplayer, they can just focus on making a fantastic single player experience.

Back